It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People need help - agree?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I was thinking today, when I was hiking in Portland's Forest Park, we need help.

People are ill. We can't save ourselves and the biosphere alone.

The aliens need to intervene.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I bet you struggled with minimum char count on that one

People need to be culled.

If your IQ falls on the wrong side of the bell curve - make them sterile.

If you have a monobrow, you're a criminal; twas good in Victorian days, bring it back - make them sterile.

Joking aside, why do people need help. It's the rich tapestry of DNA that has brought us from monkeys to humans. If we start 'helping' people, then who is to say what illnesses are deemed a sickness. I like to masturbate, am i sick?

Perhaps the aliens have intervened, injecting us with their political poison.

p.s. Donnie Darko, what an awesome film, but wtf was it all about. You have to decipher the website for 2 months to make odds or sods of the plot about parallel universes

[edit on 9-6-2009 by PrisonerOfSociety]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I don't know about you...but I believe in myself more then in anything else.

People have so much power already, we only need to realize it.
Generation after generation has been waiting for other people to do stuff for them, let's change the pattern and start becoming the change we want to see!

No doubt it would be cool to have some extra-terrestrial help to make us all realize this. But its not really needed.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I can see where you may think that people need help as a whole, but is that really the problem?

We have compartmentalized many things in the world that relate to progress. If there were a massive infra-structure built with the sole purpose set to achieve a particular goal things would be a bit easier when talking about a massive problem.

The way work is done and problems are solved today are going to change in the future when bigger and more elusive problems present themselves as dire.

The nice thing about being a human is the resilience which we have. Push yourself to the brink of exhaustion and fall just short of your goal and you may find the extra boost you need to get across the finish line. Never even try and you may find yourself asking for help from others, because you don't even know your potential. (Not you personally)

For the most part I think it breaks down like this; those who think they need help, need help - those who know they can achieve great things, achieve great things. - Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're right -

Now what we need to do is identify the problem and address it with the I know attitude on a mass scale. We might just find aliens coming to us for help, instead of the other way around.

Wouldn't we be screwed if they showed up asking us for help to a massive problem that threatens us all?

[edit on 9-6-2009 by esteay812]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

If that's what it takes, we might as well assume the fetal position and give up. Relying on even the possibility of "outside" help dooms us as much as our collective errors. What we better start doing is behaving as though we're all there is, and whatever needs to be done is up to us to do.

Think of it another way - it's a rainy day and you see a car on the side of the road. Someone is sitting in it with the flashers on. ~Or~ there's a car at the side of the road and someone is in the drizzle attempting to fix something (tire - whatever). Which one is likely to get help first?

I guarantee, in general people who are working hard to resolve their own issues get help much quicker than those who aren't. I'm willing to bet it works the same way collectively.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

If that's what it takes, we might as well assume the fetal position and give up. Relying on even the possibility of "outside" help dooms us as much as our collective errors. What we better start doing is behaving as though we're all there is, and whatever needs to be done is up to us to do.

You speak of polytheism, dear Sir. Only when people understand we are our own God can we pave our own destiny.

Think of it another way - it's a rainy day and you see a car on the side of the road. Someone is sitting in it with the flashers on. ~Or~ there's a car at the side of the road and someone is in the drizzle attempting to fix something (tire - whatever). Which one is likely to get help first?

Neither, they are terrorists with a devious plan to kill you. Drive on and believe that some other sucker will help them.

I guarantee, in general people who are working hard to resolve their own issues get help much quicker than those who aren't. I'm willing to bet it works the same way collectively.

I agree; it's those that await for help passively that will become cannon fodder. It's amazing how people adopt a primeval, self-protect mechanism when faced with danger and threat. It is the true brave ones who adopt a selfless act of assistance when they see others who need help. Unfortunately they usually end up dead, but perhaps attain true cosmic awareness in the afterlife.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I don't mean we should just stop trying to make things better, I'm just saying people are too selfish to do it alone.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
...people are too selfish to do it alone.

Au contraire DD, walking the plank alone takes mental might. Some prefer ten hours of egotistical, moral inducing BS, like you see on bungee jumps.

Hell, just give me the edge and i'll jump, ropes are for wussies

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrisonerOfSociety

...people are too selfish to do it alone.

Au contraire DD, walking the plank alone takes mental might. Some prefer ten hours of egotistical, moral inducing BS, like you see on bungee jumps.

Hell, just give me the edge and i'll jump, ropes are for wussies

Maybe you and me aren't too selfish, but most people really just care about their own lot. Most people would destroy the world to save their child!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Maybe you and me(I) aren't too selfish, but most people really just care about their own lot. Most people would destroy the world to save their child!

Would i sacrifice myself for a cause - no.

Would i sacrifice myself for a family member - probably not.

Would i help a stranger who's getting the crap beaten out of them - yes.

The difference is that the third option is an instant, animalistic reaction, where forethought goes out the window and your gut instinct kicks in. Many others may just cower into the corner.

I would like to spread the word in the street that if you see a group of hoodies robbing an old lady, you shout at the top of your voice 'Battalion Go, Go, Go" and run at them like there's no tomorrow.

Now obviously, this wouldn't work for the first few times, as people wouldn't know what the hell was going on. But imagine if viral YouTube videos showed people coming out of dark alleys and even their homes to back you up.

Crime would be eradicated in an instant.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Might want to hold that thought.

The art of war teaches the manipulation, deception and misdirection of a situation to beat the enemy without going to war! (sounds really wicked, but some scams run this way in this world)

Don't just let any stranger into your house.

eg:

'The CIA may have been sending black ops and spies to certain countries to orchestra certain despairing almost unfix-able situations only to appear at the door of these countries offering the only solution for a fee, an alliance, or for free. (as long as they let the CIA in) (the CIA doesn't always get what they want by the way... muahahaa)
(there are some smart people in the other countries too)'

Anyway I'm a conspiracy nut

Take everything with a pinch of salt, thrown into an eye.

"Not Mine!!! Your Own!"

reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

Dude you are one funny guy.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by ixiy]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
[edit on 11-6-2009 by PrisonerOfSociety]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

I don't think alien intervention is any more a good idea than "divine" intervention is. We are a young race and if some great daddy figure comes around and fixes our mistakes for us we will never learn and become hopelessly dependent on said "daddy" figure. Otherwords, we got our own butts into this mess and we can get ourselves out, if we can't then we deserve to be stuck. To quote song lyrics:

Staind "Falling"

You
In your shell
Are you waiting for someone to rescue you
From yourself
Don't be disappointed when no one comes

Don't blame me you didn't get it

I already told you that falling is easy
It's getting back up that becomes the problem
Becomes the problem
If you don't believe you can find a way out
You've become the problem
Become the problem

You
All alone
Are you waiting for someone to make you whole?
Can't you see?
Aren't you tired of this dysfunctional routine?

Becomes the problem
If you don't believe you can find a way out
You've become the problem
Become the problem

Becomes the problem