It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are a Nation of Schizophrenics.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
With the deteriorating economy, massive deficits, trillion dollar bailouts, party infighting, we have turned into a nation of schizophrenics. In the latest Rasmussen poll the GOP is now favored on six out of ten main issues. Seeing how the economy is the number one issue of the day and will continue to be the number one issue until things recover, it seems like people are ready to throw in the towel and vote back in the republicans.

The problem in America, is not right or left, democrat or republican, the problem is the lack of principles and morality. The question people ask themselves these days is not what I can do for myself but what can somebody do for me. Sure we all ask for help at some point along the way. But the common reoccurring theme today is that when people are given an inch they want to take a mile.

With the recent appointment of a "pay czar" who's purpose is to regulate pay of CEO's who have taken TARP money, the country is taking a hard turn to fascism. Sure it sounds well intentioned but we all know how that goes, it starts out as that then it expands into limiting the pay of all CEO's of every business in the private sector.

After screwing my head back on and letting my neck heal from the breakneck pace that this administration and congress have moved. I have realized that our president is running the country by what the polls say. For the past month he has pushed his health care agenda. Now that the polls have shown that the economy is still the number one issue and his disapproval rating has jumped 12% on his handling of the economy, and he sees the GOP back in favor of fiscal responsibility, he sees the threat that his presidency is about to be over before it even started. In light of these recent developments he has turned his attention back to the economy.

Save me the Bush this and that, Obama owns this now. I see his health care plan quickly falling out of favor when the few details about it have surfaced. Now he is wanting congress to implement the "Pay-As-You-Go" rule. The rule basically states that congress must take money from somewhere before new money is allocated.

America was founded on principles and morality, and the philosophy that people themselves are the masters of their own destinies. As every generation passes I see morality and principles deteriorating and an entitlement mentality set in. It has gotten so bad that people don't even want health care reform if isn't going to be a single payer system. But before the details emerged they all unanimously agree that we need reform. Which leads me to my conclusion.

We are a nation of schizophrenics. People get mad at the GOP and vote in the Dem's. Now they are mad the Dem's and want to vote back in the GOP, after tens of thousands of people held "tea parties" protesting both sides of the isle. Young adults in their late teens and twenty's don't want nothing done if it isn't what they want.

America is not in peril because of the politics, America is in peril because people lack the testicular fortitude to do for themselves. People would rather ask what can you do for me instead of what can I do for myself. They would rather have a nanny state to tell them how to live because they lack the thick skin to take criticism. They don't want to offend people so they act like children and treat the government as their parent.

It started with Bush and now Obama is sowing the seeds of revolution. The question you need to ask yourself is are we a nation of laws, that we the people do not allow to be bent for any reason what so ever. The law is treated as supreme and is above ethnicity, class, and creed. Or do you allow the law to be bent for ethnicity, class, and creed.

Depending on what you answer is the direction this country will take. One of the questions will lead to a peaceful revolution, and the other question will lead to a bloody civil war. It is time for people to answer the hardest question in your life.

What do you stand for?

I don't expect you to answer this question in this thread. This is a question that you need to ask yourself. The track this country is going down you will need to know the answer to this question. Whether you know it or not this is a fundamental question that determines who you are and it is a question that will determine where you will be at when the dust clears, it is fundamental in what you are going to do next month, next week, even in the next five minutes.

Very challenging and dark times are ahead. Your answer to this question will determine where you end up.

Life is not about what somebody can do for you, life is about what you can do for yourself.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure I don't have to answer this. You all already know.

Aside from that... Great OP. This is a crucial question.

S+F!

[edit on 9/6/09 by cbianchi513]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
What GOP? Not that I'm just pro Dem or pro Obama, but last I heard, and have seen, there is no real GOP leadership, nor movement of any kind. I don't think people will vote those crooks back in for a least a generation. Cheney and Bush ought to be behind bars in fact as mass murderers and war criminals. I thank God almost every day they are no longer in power, and I'm not even an American citizen! But Obama had better reclaim the fiscal responsibility position the very moment that the recovery begins in earnest. Remember the shape things were in towards the end of the Clinton years..? Gotta get back to that, to projected surpluses, even though of course those numbers were fudged somewhat.

Americans on the whole aren't schitzophrenic, they're just ignorant, brainwashed, dumbed down, and they are not to blame for the troubled I don't think. They are innocent victims of the greedy machinations of an elite ruling class.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
Save me the Bush this and that, Obama owns this now.

With all due respect, you are very, and dangerously, wrong. Obama owns nothing. George W. Bush owns nothing. Congress owns nothing. The Supreme Court owns nothing. The police, FBI, CIA, NSA, NASA, DHS, DOD, DOJ... own nothing.

We, the people, own everything. It's ours if we want it.

As for 'morals' and 'principals', these are concepts which are cultural which means they are mutable and ultimately meaningless. I could just as easily say America was founded on tax evasion and terrorism.

A nation is founded on its boundaries. Nothing more. And none of it will ever last forever.

My apologies but that is the only part of your post that had real impact on me. The rest, with all due respect, was nationalist rhetoric that I've heard spouted too often to find meaningful anymore. The same rhetoric that bears us chains from our birth to our death.

Have you ever wondered why we carry political values that originated in the Iron Age? The politics of slave masters and their slaves. And you genuinely believe politics aren't the issue, that the people are the issue?

Who should remind you that you are of the people?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
We are all schitzo's because everything we have been taught to believe is lie in order to further private interest. Both parties are to blame equally. Every incumbent has to be voted out, and I mean every one without exception. Some good men will be forced out but we must send the message that you all work together to allow the best for all citizens or you will be out as well.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Democrat versus republican seems a very faded and tired old parlor game to me now...a punch-and-judy show where the drunken puppeteers don't even bother to hide their hands anymore...

Be that as it may, the fact is that to live in a corrupt society with good intentions is to be steamrolled under...you got to get along to go along as they say...To stand up is to self-eliminate in many cases; while on the other hand to cower in the trenches is to face certin doom as well. When do you choose to go over the wire? Its a question every individual must ask and anwer for himself, on a daily basis.

I've spent a great deal of time in several TRULY corrupt nations, where bribes, payoffs, and scams are a part of daily life for everyone. The US isn't there yet, but its on the fast track. Once you find yourself having to start slipping fifties to the local police officer you'll know we've finally plumbed the depths...although it strikes me that very few Americans could scrape up fifty dollars in actual hard cash these days. Perhaps the creditization of the society, while representing grotesque and overarching corruption itself, saves us from some of the pettier indignities of social decay.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Substitute confused for schizo and you understand the American mindset which is soon to spread all over the world as the corruption worsens. Anyone who displays virtue and honesty is being held up as a tool of ridicule. Theives, crooks ,and swindlers are being held up as role models. Work for good without regard for reward is the motto at this time. I am not surprised people are confused.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by eradown]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
For the USA there's a simple solution - form a viable third party, so that it's something other than a left/right, Dem/GOP rigged game for the elite.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint
For the USA there's a simple solution - form a viable third party, so that it's something other than a left/right, Dem/GOP rigged game for the elite.

Gerald Celente is predicting the emergence of a viable third party as soon as the 2012 elections. Celente, by the way, has never been wrong on a major predictions: He called the '87 stock market crash, the fall of communism, the bust of the dotcom bubble, and the current fiasco all with impeccable timing.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
If we want to fix our country, we need to fix "IT" and not the whole godforsaken world.
I agree 110% with "Hastobemoretolife".
We have become a nation of panhandlers.
It's not really our fault though.

[edit on 9/6/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TravelerintheDark

With all due respect, you are very, and dangerously, wrong. Obama owns nothing. George W. Bush owns nothing. Congress owns nothing. The Supreme Court owns nothing. The police, FBI, CIA, NSA, NASA, DHS, DOD, DOJ... own nothing.

We, the people, own everything. It's ours if we want it.

If that is the case then why are we progressing to a fascist state in record time? In the current state they own everything. They will own everything is people don't wake up, actually scratch that if people don't act upon their gut. People don't need to be "awake" to feel that something is wrong in the world.

Currently we are being looted, and the people that think Obama can do no wrong are allowing it to happen.

As for 'morals' and 'principals', these are concepts which are cultural which means they are mutable and ultimately meaningless. I could just as easily say America was founded on tax evasion and terrorism.

You could, but it wouldn't be the truth. The truth is that this country was founded upon freedom, in which you can practice your own morals and principals, religion and be free to practice your beliefs. Morals and principles define a culture and America was founded so people could come here and be who they are to prolong their culture and pass it down through generations without fear of prosecution.

A nation is founded on its boundaries. Nothing more. And none of it will ever last forever.

Maybe not the nation itself, but the principles and values will allow freedom to spread. The founding fathers wanted us to be self governing as in they wanted us to eventually abolish the government and rule ourselves.

My apologies but that is the only part of your post that had real impact on me. The rest, with all due respect, was nationalist rhetoric that I've heard spouted too often to find meaningful anymore. The same rhetoric that bears us chains from our birth to our death.

You don't need to apologize to me, but you need ask yourself is it nationalist rhetoric? Or is it a philosophy?

I can see where you could get it confused because the founding fathers were very smart men. This country was founded upon a philosophy of freedom. It isn't nationalist it is a philosophy, a very progressive one at that, that this country was founded upon.

Which goes back to my original question. What do you stand for?

Have you ever wondered why we carry political values that originated in the Iron Age? The politics of slave masters and their slaves. And you genuinely believe politics aren't the issue, that the people are the issue?

Who should remind you that you are of the people?

No offense, but I think you missed the point of the OP. The nation should be ruled by law not politics. Politics are an issue because people do not have respect for others wishes.

People are unable to do for themselves anymore, instead of standing up for the laws that benefit all, they allow the government to bend and break the law. It is about rights and freedom.

Ask yourself this:

Are you willing to stand up and fight for somebody else's rights even though you disagree with them because of your principles and morals say that it is wrong in order for you to have your principle and moral freedom, because those same people disagree with what you do?

That is what this OP is about, the current state of the world has the potential to redefine boarders and nations. So do you want to continue the status quo, or do you want to learn for history and the mistakes and forge a world where it can't ever happen again?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I hope so.

I think what people are missing is that we as individuals have the power to change the world, by doing, not asking.

We have the ability to inspire people to do great things. By just doing things ourselves. All it takes is to respect each other boundaries and realize that you will not agree with things other people do. But as long as they are not hurting stealing or killing anybody else then people should have enough self control to ignore it.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

Pretty much, we can't "fix" the world, but we can fix our nation and inspire others to take charge of their own lives.

I think people forget how much power they wield from the womb.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

In the current state they own everything.

Whose labor builds what they 'own'? Whose service? Whose wealth? They don't actually own anything. They claim it as their sovereign right. But that's mere property.

The real question is, who owns you? This is not a state of body, but a state of mind. And if you think that's a load of mumbo-jumbo, think of it this way; what the mind thinks and feels, the body follows. The reason why slaves always escape their masters eventually.

My point is, perhaps it isn't time to change the government until we can change our thinking.

Currently we are being looted, and the people that think Obama can do no wrong are allowing it to happen.

As well as everyone who ever thought anyone who stood as a government official could do no wrong. Even more so those who knew that wasn't true yet didn't do anything about it. But, in fairness, the only minds we can change are our own.

You could, but it wouldn't be the truth.

That depends on whether or not you were British at the time. It's a matter of perspective. Though I admit openly, I worry less about what was than what is now.

You don't need to apologize to me, but you need ask yourself is it nationalist rhetoric? Or is it a philosophy?

It stands as a courtesy. In other words, I mean nothing personal towards you. Though I will argue that 'nationalist rhetoric' can indeed be a philosophy. And, as I see it, when we begin pointing fingers and claiming so-and-so doing such-and-such is bringing about the downfall of this nation, I call that 'nationalist rhetoric'.

I can see where you could get it confused because the founding fathers were very smart men. This country was founded upon a philosophy of freedom. It isn't nationalist it is a philosophy, a very progressive one at that, that this country was founded upon.

You'll get no argument from me that the founding fathers were indeed wise, intelligent and progressive thinkers. In fact, they have my personal admiration as men of vision. Men to whom freedom was a necessity to human existence. They seemed to me to envision a world broken loose of bonds that have enslaved us in classes and castes. They succeeded in laying a foundation.

It isn't their blame that we, the people failed to build upon that foundation with structures just as sound. And that is the truth to me.

What do I stand for? Likely the same values as you. Just to be free to be who I wish, to live life as I see fit, to go as I please. That's all.

And you say, no offense? None taken whatsoever. Did I miss the point? I actually had in mind the same point, even if I approach it differently from your perspective. But that is nothing for me to take offense to. Because we are free men, aren't we? And as such can allow a mutual respect and understanding to ground us in the knowledge that what we say isn't half as important as our right to say it.

Am I willing to fight? Wherever and whenever I need. But understand, the battles I fight often times aren't about cutting away flesh and shedding blood. Rather I prefer to cut away dead ideas and shed useless rhetoric.

Learn from my mistakes and the mistakes of others? Dare I dream? I do.

Do I still miss the point?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
We're not schitzo, we have just forgotten who we are. I blame that on the past generations of recent times. Lost with divorces and morals out the window. Now anyone can be president, its not a high powered affair any longer, Clinton, basically made that case. We are a demoralized nation, with no identity any longer.. Not to mention anyone that has any leadership traits as far as getting us out of this conundrum we are in has no chance. Quite frankly we are doomed. As a whole. It is best to just work on the ones you love and do your best to protect that. As far as our government all I can say in the past decade or so, is just wow. Oh I heard a good one today at work.. "didn't you hear, their saying the economy is getting better." That's a great example of how screwed up our Government has gotten.. Nah, were a Nation of ignorant morons, at least the majority that is.. Just watch cnn for an hour.. Then watch BBC news for ten minutes..

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

No,we are on the same level you were just phrasing it in a different manner.

My point is, perhaps it isn't time to change the government until we can change our thinking.

That is what I'm getting at, there is no reason to shed blood to "change" anything if it is going to fall right back into the same state of things. I don't even want revolution or civil war or anything like that, because we as individuals have the power to stop everything dead in its tracks right now.

Right now, it seems people thing that we are progressing, when in actuality the only thing that is advancing is technology. It's all the status quo. The Greeks started it with Democracy then philosophers such as Plato and others, and our founding fathers shed blood to lay a foundation for it. Now the question is - is what to do to pass on to future generations so they don't repeat the same mistakes.

And as such can allow a mutual respect and understanding to ground us in the knowledge that what we say isn't half as important as our right to say it.

And this of what you said too. I couldn't agree more.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Wouldn't that be nice - to upset their apple cart.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Thank you.

How do we prevent our children making the same mistakes? We can only tell them the truth to warn them. It's the best we can do. It's the best men have ever been able to do.

There is only one thing holding any of us back, and that is fear. Apathy grows from fear. And I believe without a doubt, fear is at the heart of their plan. It's been at the heart of every totalitarian system. Whether its fear of the system or fear of what's outside the system.

Fixing that is difficult to get around because it preys on basic human nature. But I believe it can be done. I always have.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I guess the reality of it is to teach our kids how to be warriors in order for them to face the fear, and at the same time not make them want to go out and conquer the world.

I don't know that is a tough question. I really hate the thought that the world is stuck in a perpetual loop.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I posted this yesterday.
It makes sense and explains alot!

America is schizophrenic where half take pride in being liberal and open, while the other half feel that they have been robbed of their core values by secular culture. Yet, America holds the most conservative religious beliefs in the Western world and is closer to Turkey or Mexico than any western country.

www.the-tribulation-network.com...
We are many other things also besides just schizophrenic!
Like, lost, scared and divided.......

Also theres this:

"Americans are really kind of schizophrenic about this issue," Mr. Mc-Cain said just prior to a fund-raising lunch for Rep. Dan Lungren, a Republican of California. "They're frustrated, and they want us to get out, but if we ask the American people if we should set a certain date or a calendar, they agree with the president, and with me, and with Dan, that is a recipe for disaster. We have to have conditions on the ground that indicate we can withdraw
www.nysun.com...
And this:

America is schizophrenic. The book of James tells us that “ a double-minded man is unstable in all of his ways.” America is double-minded. Our government claims to be secular, but they want to claim all of the values of Christianity. Many Americans want to be free of the shackles of Christ, but still expect others to live by in His virtues. America is going to have to make a decision.
www.newswithviews.com...
And this:

People need to read a book that was written decades ago titled "The Ugly American". America is schizophrenic. We ARE beautiful and kind and loving and free, but tomorrow we might obliterate your entire family, force your children to work in sweat shops and forget about it.
www.jacksonfreepress.com...

But the main point of what I'm trying to get at is that America is schizophrenic, because these two ideas are at the core of our national being.
leados.blogs.com...

Statistics show that approximately one percent of the population worldwide suffers from schizophrenia—an estimated 2.5 million in the United States alone. More than 100,000 new cases are reported in the US each year.
hillofcontent.bizland.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join