It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extra Fees......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I'm in the process of moving and for a month I have to put some of my stuff in storage because where i'll be staying briefly is pretty small and I can't get some of my things in there so I attempt to us Public Storage. First I call their number and talked about them, they gave me a price of the size of the storage unit I was seeking and it was $1 for the first months rent plus $19 for keys and whatever else. So I thought, cool that's cheap, and since I only need it for a month, even the $94 i would have had to pay the following month wouldn't have been a big deal. First I go to the location they had given me that is near my current area and there was a sign on the door that said "manager is on the lot, will return @4:30 and it was 4:10. So I waited, 4:30 comes around, no manager. While I'm waiting it's pretty hot outside and getting impatient.

Then finally at 5:25 the manager pulls up and she obviously just went to a fast food place and obviously wasn't where she was supposed to be, but whatever. I give my name and info, turns out I waited for more than an hour at the wrong location, they sent me to the wrong one. Then the girl sends me to the one where i'm supposed to be at which was a couple miles away, so i went there. Also, I forgot to mention that I had a van already packed up with my stuff and was ready. Anyway, i get to that location and it's the wrong one again, the idiot sent me to the wrong one, it's the one yet another couple of miles away. Finally, I'm at the right one and the person was nice. I looked at the unit and it was more than enough room. Soon as we got to the paying portion, he asked for $56. I brought up the $1 and the $19, he nodded and said "yes $1 for first months rent, $19 for start up fee, and $36 for the two keys" This also didn't cover insurance either so that would have been more money. I explained to him that wasn't what i was told on the phone and he said i probably talked to someone from california because every location is different.

I didn't pay, he apologized and everything, but there was no way i was paying that much extra for junk. I struggling with money as it is. I hate stupid things like this, I don't understand why they can't be upfront with things over the phone, but no they have to wait until you are there thinking that you'll pay those extra fees just because you are there. Grrrr I hate stupid fees!
I decided to just either sell the stuff or just get rid of it, it's only things, i can survive without them. This also makes me think of Comcast. They advertise a cheap rate for cable, and even if you get a basic plan it ends up being over a $100 anyway for a bunch of fees. I think I hate that word more than just about any other word. lol

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth Lumina

I do not understand why some people keep their stuff long term in storage anyway. While you were only going to use it for one month, there are some people who do not know what is in their storage lockers.

My motto: If you don't use it, get rid of it! Why pay money for storing junk you don't use or need?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008
reply to post by Darth Lumina

I do not understand why some people keep their stuff long term in storage anyway. While you were only going to use it for one month, there are some people who do not know what is in their storage lockers.

My motto: If you don't use it, get rid of it! Why pay money for storing junk you don't use or need?

Lot of it was just a mixture of my girlfriends and mystuff. We were going to store a couch, dresser, extra clothes that aren't suitable for the season, tv, few end tables, we aren't the knick knack type of people and could live without that stuff. We just needed storage for a month or two before our jobs start and our apartment is ready and where we are staying is with a relative that doesn't have room for anything. But since storage is more expensive than we thought, we'll probably either sell what we can or just trash it. We just wanted a simple place to put some stuff with a simple lock, but that's not going to happen. Oh well, we actually don't care if we have that stuff or not. I do understand what you are saying though, lot's of people hang on to things that just aren't important. I know people who keep things that are packed in the attic that they don't need and won't get rid of it. To each their own I guess. If it were just me, i would either have a studio, or simple one bedroom apartment with weights, benches, squat racks, punching bags and all that stuff in there instead of furniture and maybe a bed lol.

join