It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China to Back North Korea Sanctions, UN's Ban Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

China to Back North Korea Sanctions, UN's Ban Says

www.bloomberg.com

By Bill Varner

June 9 (Bloomberg) -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he is confident that China will back U.S. efforts to impose tougher sanctions on North Korea in response to its nuclear-bomb test and missile launches.

“I believe China is on board, together with the major countries of the Security Council,” Ban, 64, said today during an interview with Bloomberg News. “I am confident that they will come out with unified and strong measures to ensure there are no further such actions by North Korea.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I thought I never see this day. Keep your fingers crossed there may be a light at the end of the tunnel. China seems ready to support the US at the UN. Imagine that. Some of us have been saying for weeks now that China is simply tired of little kimmy's temper tantrums.

Firing missiles and popping off nukes left and right he is also dangerous.

Good for them.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Do you suppose that China is not quite up to entertaining the idea of a war involving the US so close to itself?

And with everything else going around on more than one board, China has big plans for the US...in regards to the one world currency debate and it's not to be the dollar.

China agreeing with the US on the NKorean sanction is a brilliant move in the grand scheme of things. No war..no uplifting of a dour US economy.
By keeping this at bay, the future will unfold in their favor I believe.

Peace...

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

If this does happen, hopefully NoKo doesn't view sanctions as an act of war. If I'm remembering right, didn't they say that they would view sanctions as such an action?

I guess we'll have to see how this all pans out.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gyrochiral

I think you are right about China not wanting a war with the US so close to them. The Chinese are getting fed up with us as it is, us getting involved in a war over there would probably be very unnerving. The Chinese don't really care for being bullied around by imperialist super powers, and we really haven't done that since the open door policy of McKinley.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
So he's 'confident'? In the double speak of the UN/MSM that don't mean much. Even if china does go along, it will just be to keep up the charade. The only reason NK got all riled up was because their chinese masters told them to, since they're pissed about the robbery of their dollar stash.

They have probably already told NK that they will make up whatever difference and then some from any sanctions. They already run plenty in on rails throught the back door. There's nothing like a good proxy.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
When will China step-up?

And with the Chinese proclaiming themselves as the newest “superpower” comes serious obligations and the world is watching. If they truly want to be recognized as a member of the worlds’ elite, there come expectations.

North Korea is a prime place to start! If not now, prepare yourself for months and months of useless negotiations for the two journalists, sword rattling, street protests, bribery, concessions and endless rhetoric by all sides.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Hmm...he does speak for the UN. So that means there could be a good precent of a chance he is wrong.

However, if he is right it would make sense to me. From the standpoint of a possible war on their border but also from a business sense.

China has lots going for it now. An economic powerhouse, trade all over the world, talk that its currencey might one day replace the dollar, etc.

Surely it doesn't want to do anything that hurt its "business".

If it backs NK it gains..well it gains crazy Lil' Kimmy and his big bomb as their best friend forever. But Lil' Kimmy is broke and crazy as a loon when it comes down to it.

But, they could loose some "standing" with the rest of the world and that could be bad for business with the rest of the world and that could cost them money.

Remember the US isn't the only country that is wants something done about NK.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by Frogs]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

China anger with North Korea echoes in the press

www.reuters.com

By Chris Buckley

BEIJING (Reuters) - The top item on the Chinese website of Beijing's embassy in Pyongyang is a condemnation of North Korea's nuclear test.

That, and a recent blast of blunt criticism of North Korea in China's state-run press, suggest the rancor that officials feel toward their communist neighbor -- anger likely to bring Beijing behind a U.N. resolution condemning the May 25 test and threatening fresh sanctions.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Remember the US isn't the only country that is wants something done about NK.

reply to post by Frogs

Right, Japan and SK are far more interested than we are. Again, china is flexing its muscle in its neighborhood. They're just using the punk down the street to do some of the dirty work. Why would they want to start trouble with the world police when they can take care of business through other means?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Well its about time the whole world is getting tired of lil kim running his mouth. I like what china has to say, i wonder if russia is goin to follow, even though i think in a war the two countrys would probably have kim's back.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

I find this rather amusing.

I remember a few weeks if not a month or so ago saying roughly the same thing you just did and getting roasted alive from "China is the Next Super power" Supporters. They said China has no need nor desire for being a world police and North Korea and China are too close to separate.

Now that it may come to pass we are starting to hear
"Well of course"

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Slayer,

Don't kid yourself, seriously.

China is not backing the US/West's position.

They are not happy with little kimmy's actions as of late.

They are onboard "ONLY" because in this "one" instance, they agree little kimmy needs a time out.

They also probably realize, if little kimmy starts a nuclear war, it will be right on China's border-that does not make them happy.

*edited to add to post:

Slayer, I want to make it clear I was not attacking you, but strongly challenging what your source said.

I see it I can always challenge what you say or what your sources say, but NEVER personally attack you.

I fear from your reply, it may have come off incorrectly and I am sorry if it did.

[edit on 6/9/2009 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Slayer,

Don't kid yourself, seriously.

China is not backing the US/West's position.

I'm not saying they are on "Our" side.
I'm saying that on this one they agree.

Besides I didn't write the reports.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I still think China is trying to 'suck' the US into something here.

Why all of a sudden would they just turn there back on Nkorea?

Its not like Nkorea haven’t set off nukes before
Its not like Nkorea haven’t fired off missiles before?
Hell, Nkorea invaded the South and China still backed them.

Sanctions? hah, you might as well take a slingshot to a tank.

No, Nkorea has set the stage. ANY infringement on Nkorea's sovereignty will mean an attack.
China's, backing the US into infringing.... but will they back us when the bullets fly?

Its not in there interest to back us!~

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I dont think it will come to full scale war.
At least not anytime soon unless Kimmy does something completely stupid like invade the South. China is putting pressure on the North because it has too large of a financial stake for their economy to let Kimmy derail their plans.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Pulling the US into yet another conflict may be a master stroke considering that Iraq/Afghanistan, which are influenced by chinese proxies Iran/Pakistan, have stretched the american empire to the military/economic breaking point. And I'm not saying that those war's caused the economic problems, but they are definitely exacerbating them. So the chinese may be architecting a final push. They may feel they have nothing to lose since our economic hold on them is fading by the day.

Open another front through another proxy and dump their dollar holdings. A rather nasty bit of medicine that. They might even toss in a cyber attack or two.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I agree to both of your points.

Maybe not a full scale war, but something that will suck US resources and money.

Eventually, someone’s going to say
''that’s it, one more stupid move and its on''

and you just know, Nkorea will fire off another test missile afterwards..

America cannot handle another needless money burning war.
Not just morale, not just financial means, not just soldiers.. but world standing.

The world balanced on a knife edge for 65-70yrs.
In the last 5, the balancing force has become so unstable, that the world could tip in any direction.

Lets talk about Nails in the coffin?

Iraq, 1
Afghanistan, 1
The economy, 1
Demotion of US supremacy, 1
Iran belligerence, 1
Israeli arrogance, 1

Throw into the mix North Korea, Strengthened China... further draining of the economy and military...

... your eventually becoming sealed to your fate!

join