It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunday Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I was raised and have been for a great part of my live in the seventh day adventist church. They predict there will be a national sunday law which will make it impossible for many sabbat keeping christians to keep this day as their holy day.

People still keeping the sabbat will end in jail and eventually even killed. Keeping the sunday is in their opinion the mark of the beast and only christians believing in Jesus AND keeping the sabbat on saturday will be saved by God....

They say the national sunday law is almost there, starting in America of course and then copied to other countries.

There is a lot of this on the internet, here are a few links:

www.reg6.com...

dedication.www3.50megs.com...

www.youtube.com...

And just search for "Sunday Law" on Google

Because I'm still confronted with this on a regulary base, like in my family, I was wondering what the opinion is from ATS members on this.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Safandjaro

Well it is common knowledge that the Catholic Church changed the Sabbath to Sunday. Originally the Bible states that the last day of week, God rested. We all know that Saturday is the last day and Sunday is the first. So the Catholic Church promoted an idea that is the exact opposite of what God decrees.

There are many examples of the Catholic Church trying to circumvent the wishes of God. That is why many state that the Church or a Pope will in fact be the antichrist.

Just compare a Pope to Jesus. Jesus road around on a donkey wearing rags. The Pope sits on a gold thrown in the finest fabrics and drives around in a Pope mobile. I guess it is up for everyone to decide.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

We all know that Saturday is the last day and Sunday is the first

I never knew that; I always thought Monday was the first day of the week.

ISO

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Look at most any calendar application, Sunday will be in the left most column signifying that it is the first day of the week.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

Well I respectfully say that Sunday is the first day of the week, since that is how it has been historically viewed. Using an ISO specification is not valid.

Here is a link for you.First Day of the Week

Hope it helps.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I don't think this would ever happen. Not with "Freedom of Religion" and all that. And if a law was passed, I think it would make Sunday THE day for observing religiously, and those minorities who observe on Friday or Saturday would be out of luck.

Just because most people do observe on Sunday, so if a law was passed that needed people to work all days but one, since most people observe on Sunday, everyone else would have to do the same.

Not that I think this would happen. But, I think it would go the other way around and would benefit Christians. Because that's the majority.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Does it matter which day of the week is "first" or "last" and therefore "holy" when we are operating under a calendar that was developed by the Romans to glorify their pantheon of pagan gods?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I always thought of this whole thing that god rested on the 7th day to be funny....after all he's god, why does he need to rest? And not to mention he's an angry and jealous god...so many mere human traits for the all mighty. These are the kinds of question that got me in trouble in church, so I gave it up and now I party and play on sunday. After all if I were god, after a hard week of work, I'd have to throw back a few beers and watch some football.
But on a serious note...WTF is the government doing passing all these laws, both federal & state, regarding religion? I thought that was covered in the constitution....seperation of church and state. We need to raise united and put the bastards in their place.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Safandjaro
I was raised and have been for a great part of my live in the seventh day adventist church. They predict there will be a national sunday law which will make it impossible for many sabbat keeping christians to keep this day as their holy day.

People still keeping the sabbat will end in jail and eventually even killed. Keeping the sunday is in their opinion the mark of the beast and only christians believing in Jesus AND keeping the sabbat on saturday will be saved by God....

Your Adventist family can rest easy. There's no way America will ever make it illegal to worship on a Saturday.

Look at the top people in government,on both sides. Many either are Jewish, have dual citizenship with Israel, or have shown strong support for Israel and Jewish interests. And Jews worship on Saturday. For the sake of their Jewish supporters, no politician in America would dare to, much less want to, make Saturday worship illegal.

Besides, it's good for society to have different people wanting different days off, so that there is always someone willing to work.

So don't worry. I don't know what political power Adventists wield, but where your interests are aligned with Jewish interests, you don't need any. American Jewry is powerful and is not about to let their day of worship be banned.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I'm not sure what all the hubbub's about -- most of those "OMG!!!" pages of breathless prose are about laws from the late 1960's through 1980. For the record, I REMEMBER those things.

Horrible.

If you were sick and throwing up, you couldn't buy medicine on Sunday. Or food. Or diapers. Or clothing. Or aspirin. Good luck finding an open gas station.

These are "states rights" laws -- no Federal government. Texas was one of the last states to get rid of them -- people were driving to Louisiana and Arkansas if they needed something badly on Sunday.

Nobody's going to prevent any Christian from closing their business on whichever day they say is the Sabbath (or Jew, either.) It's your business. You do as you like.

But I shouldn't force YOU to close your businesses because it's my (Wiccan) holy day... and YOU shouldn't force ME to close my business when it's your holy day.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I'm sorry, could you explain what this law is about? The links in the articles are broken, so I can't see a bill or anything specific - and when I googled it, I ended up on Blue Laws, which is the exact opposite (forcing everyone to close on sunday). What exactly would this law state? To whom would it apply?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Safandjaro

I'm a fellow Sabbath-keeper but not an adventist. I'm an avid follower of the Living Church of God.... one of the Herbert Armstrong churches. I have heard this before about the mark of the beast and the seal of God being identified by the day you worship. Though I think this is partly right, I think there's a lot more to it. The mark of the beast is an acceptance to follow worldly things vs. God's laws and commands. You accept worldly things (head) and you act on those worldly thoughts (hand).

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
I'm not sure what all the hubbub's about -- most of those "OMG!!!" pages of breathless prose are about laws from the late 1960's through 1980. For the record, I REMEMBER those things.

Horrible.

If you were sick and throwing up, you couldn't buy medicine on Sunday. Or food. Or diapers. Or clothing. Or aspirin. Good luck finding an open gas station.

These are "states rights" laws -- no Federal government. Texas was one of the last states to get rid of them -- people were driving to Louisiana and Arkansas if they needed something badly on Sunday.

Nobody's going to prevent any Christian from closing their business on whichever day they say is the Sabbath (or Jew, either.) It's your business. You do as you like.

But I shouldn't force YOU to close your businesses because it's my (Wiccan) holy day... and YOU shouldn't force ME to close my business when it's your holy day.

When I grow up, they also close at noon on Wednesdays. Entire town shuts down.

But it wasn't a law as far as I know, there were a few businesses that stayed open for the cash etc. Mostly the bigger businesses like wal-mart and such. But pretty much all the privately own mom and pop businesses closed down.

I seriously doubt any such law is ever going to be passed. I don't know why anyone would even believe such a thing, seems like fear mongering.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Too bad no one seems to have any idea what is going about the Day of Rest.
Forget the Saturday/Sunday thing for a minute and imagine a "National Day of Rest", not for worshiping God, of course, but to "save the planet" and reduce our "carbon footprint".
This is number one on the Pope's agenda, stated by himself in his inaugural speech and his writings. He is going to put all of his energy into this until he gets it in place.
All states have it in their statutes that Sunday is the "Christian Sabbath". It is the foundation document for any "blue laws". These particular laws may not be currently being enforced but nothing has ever been passed that exclude them. So a legislature could pass a law and be signed by the governor and have it in place the next day. There is a long history of court precedence including several Supreme Court rulings that uphold the concept of a Christian Sabbath.
Considering the precedence and the Pope's supporting only a Sunday day of rest, you can guarantee that the National Day of Rest will be on Sunday.
Globalism and Earth Worship and Environmentalism are all religions that have not been blocked from becoming state religions, so forget the separation of church and state because that is only enforced when it applies to Christianity.
It is quite possible that it will not even be an actual law because it could be just an executive order. That system of governance has been well established by prior presidents and no one has ever made a concerted effort to challenge it.

[edit on 10-6-2009 by jmdewey60]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft

Well it is common knowledge that the Catholic Church changed the Sabbath to Sunday.

I didn't know that I'll have to look into it thanks!

I've read before that 'Sunday worshiping' has its roots in ancient Egyptian 'Sun Worship'

And a very wild theory that Jesus, Son of God, Son of Man has been also linked to Sun worship, Sun = Son, but like I said, I think it's a wild speculation IMO, there's a big difference between Sun and son and it's in English language. They may have different words for it in ancient Egyptian language.

Sorry I don't have the links anymore.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk
I've read before that 'Sunday worshiping' has its roots in ancient Egyptian 'Sun Worship'

Nope. Ancient Egypt had a 10 day work week:
en.wikipedia.org...-day

And a very wild theory that Jesus, Son of God, Son of Man has been also linked to Sun worship, Sun = Son, but like I said, I think it's a wild speculation IMO, there's a big difference between Sun and son and it's in English language. They may have different words for it in ancient Egyptian language.

They did, and the ancient Egyptian religion was not a "sun worship" religion. It was polytheistic, and while the sun was an important part, he/it was not the ONLY component of the religion. He held a position similar to Jupiter in the Roman pantheon or Odin in the Norse pantheon.

(this is a HUGE oversimplification to get the point across. But like any oversimplification, it's also wrong in many detailed parts.)

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
Too bad no one seems to have any idea what is going about the Day of Rest.
Forget the Saturday/Sunday thing for a minute and imagine a "National Day of Rest", not for worshiping God, of course, but to "save the planet" and reduce our "carbon footprint".

...which would work only if you can ensure that no babies are born on that day, no medical emergencies occur, nobody dies, nobody gets robbed, all wildfires suddenly stop burning, no earthquakes occur, no volcanoes erupt, no disease is spread, everyone gets up from the hospital and is well for a day, and so on and so forth. And everyone cooks their food the day before and does not go out to eat.

Of course, that means that waiters and cooks and many other people who often work only part-time lose wages on that day.

Modern society is too complex and too interwoven for this to work. It worked well when we were in the hunter-gatherer stage or lived in small towns.

It is quite possible that it will not even be an actual law because it could be just an executive order.

It'd get overturned promptly and the howls of outrage over initiating it would be worldwide.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

...which would work only if you can ensure that no babies are born on that day. . .
Do not expect anything to do with "footprints" to make sense. Carbon is from plants that grew a long time ago. We do not magically produce carbon out of nothing. If all the underground remains of plants all came back, we would be living in a paradise.
Look up this day of rest thing and do not just blow it off. It is all real and is in the agenda of the people who fear-monger carbon.
This is off the Obama Campaign site:
Orgaizing for America
Post from Michael Pearce's Blog:
Energy Conservation & Globalized America
"So perhaps we should consider enacting a Sunday Law. Not to restrict people from working, but to give liberty to those who can't choose. And imagine the tax dollars that would be saved?"

From the european Parlement:
Parliamentary questions
6 February 2009 E-6674/2008

Answer given by Mr Špidla on behalf of the Commission
"As the Honourable Member correctly points out, the European Court of Justice held in 1996 that the Council had acted outside its proper powers by including in the Working Time Directive a provision that the weekly rest should, in principle, include Sunday."

So they did pass a law for people to have Sunday off. He goes on to say they "annulled" it because it was not given enough evidence that Sunday had any impact on safety and health. What did go into effect was is a law that says you can not work over 48 hrs. a week and you have to take one day off a week. They keep introducing "Sunday Protection" provisions in laws being passed. Just a matter of time that, eventually, enough people who are under the control of the Vatican will let it be enforced.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by jmdewey60]

new topics

top topics

join