It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice needed: whether or not to buy a generator

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
My husband has always talked about purchasing a generator to wire into the house to provide electricity in emergencies. I would like your opinions on whether this would be a prudent thing to do. One of my concerns is how much fuel would we need to try to store to make the generator useful and worthwhile in an emergency? We live in a small subdivision where digging up the backyard to bury barrels of fuel would probably be frowned upon.
Would it be wiser to just stock up on wood for the fireplace and not worry about trying to keep the fridge and lights on?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I would go with a solar generator.

Here is a LINK to a method to build your own solar generator CHEAP!

Good for more urban areas.

Also if you go with a normal gas powered generator I would go with a back up.. maybe a stationary bike with belts rigged to the generator so you can have power with out gas... Or if you can get away with it in the hood a windmill to power the belts to get power from the generator.

Still I would stick to the solar thing... Just buy a few extra marine batteries and wire them in sequence so that you can have ALOT of juice. Their is no limit to how much power you can store. You only limitation is how much you can gather at one time and that can be augmented by buying more solar panels..but really you just need one to start.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Hello. I was debating too but went with solar panels and windmill for backup. If I had to do it all over again and didn't care about renewable energy I would of went with a backup generator like one of these:
www.northerntool.com...
www.northerntool.com...
They are propane or natural gas powered.
I think it is a smart investment. If you live anywhere near
hurricane areas or such, I would highly recommend especially!
Good luck and a smart move!

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

Thanks for the link! I would love, love, love to have one of those. Actually I would love to be off the grid. We live in a sunny area (and windy) so solar would be good. Hub isn't totally sold on it though-- yet!

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

I had looked at some of these before and really thought they were good. These are along the lines of what hub wants. Thanks for the suggestion!

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
generators that hook up to your existing gas line are pretty interesting to me, but i would want some type of hybrid generator

one that can run on your existing natural gas supply but also one that can run on gas or alcohol in case your natural gas line breaks down or is not being supplied any longer

solar one sounds great, dont know how practical it is though, or cost effective with existing technology

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
It is a good idea to have one, however, I would have to go with solar powered. Propane or gas would be good as well, but if TSHTF in a big way, you probably wouldn't have enough fuel stored up to last for too long, unless of course you do dig up the yard and store it. Also, if you did go off grid, you could take it with you and being solar powered it could work where ever you are.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by calmbutwaryI had looked at some of these before and really thought they were good. These are along the lines of what hub wants. Thanks for the suggestion!

Those do look really nice. I didn't even know they made the kind that could run off of natural gas.

Do you live in an area where you may lose power for a few days? If so, let him buy one. If you DO lose power for a week and you nixed the generator idea you will NEVER hear the end of it!

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Just my 2 bucks...

The house I sold recently was in a neighborhood prone to being knocked out with just about every T-Storm that came through. SO, it was just an inconvenience....and I didn't think about 'Armageddon', because it just isn't that important to me.

But, the expense seemed to outweigh the inconvenience.

I like the alternative energy ideas...you should look into them. There might be tax incentives of some sort too??

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Well, I just proved I'm blonde. Our house is all electric. Those nice generators wouldn't have anything to hook up to.
So I'm back to trying to store fuel for a gas powered generator or going solar.
We are in tornado alley, so we need something.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
A regular gas powered generator is a plenty for the occasional thunderstorm or hurricane. You don't need to bury any fuel tanks, they have a tank built in. It can be hooked up to only power your essentials like the Refrigerator and a couple of key circuit breakers. Hooked up this way, the fuel will last several days.

Alternative energies are the way of the future! You may try to sway your husband toward solar off-grid technology instead of a generator. The equipment doesn't cost any more than a typical electric bill! You won't have to worry about any power outages, you will eventually own the equipment free and clear, you are helping the environment, and you are removing some of the influence TPTB have!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by calmbutwary

I would definitely prepare NOT to have one. That was you don't depend upon needing it. Then if you decide to get it, more power to you. But if you don't get it, or if it ever fails, or you grow to feel it requires too much effort for things you can ultimately do without, it makes no difference. Just so long as you can have it either way, and don't depend on a generator.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Solar and windmills work for me, I also have a couple waterwheel's rigged to a backup, mostly powers my lights

new topics

top topics

join