It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmic Cloud Poised to Birth Massive Star

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Cosmic Cloud Poised to Birth Massive Star

news.yahoo.com

PASADENA, CALIF. — A massive, tranquil object found lurking in a dark cloud in our galaxy could be about to transform into a massive star or stars, giving astronomers their first glimpse at such a region on the cusp of stellar birth.

The cloud, located near the Aquila rift in the galactic plane 23,000 light-years away, has a mass 120 times that of the sun, but it is all compressed into a volume smaller than the Oort cloud of comets orbiting our solar system, astronomers said here today at the 214th meeting of the American Astronomical Society.

The temperature of the cloud is less than
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Hey this is pretty cool, a first glimpse into this phenomena for scientists! I hope they post pictures of it, possibly on space.com or maybe NASA either way I'd like to see it. So I wanted to share this article here and I hope those of you who like space activity enjoy this.If I run across any pictures I will post them here for all to see!

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Kind of wild when you realize that this star was emerging back when our ancestors were spitting paint around their hands in caves, isn't it?

I always love stuff like this, though. Deep space is gorgeous.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Stars are beautiful. It's certainly a rare chance to see it form. I wonder how long it'll take for that to happen?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Everybody loves babies! even baby stars are cool
I hope we will see pictures of it, if it happens in our lifetime that is.

new topics

top topics

join