It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does obama keep the islamic name?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Barry Obama decided that he didn't like his nickname. A few of his friends at Occidental College had already begun to call him Barack (his formal name), and he'd come to prefer that. The way his half sister, Maya, remembers it, Obama returned home at Christmas in 1980, and there he told his mother and grandparents: no more Barry. Obama recalls it slightly differently, but in the same basic time frame. He believes he told his mom he wanted to be called Barack when she visited him in New York the following summer. By both accounts, it seemed that the elder relatives were reluctant to embrace the change. Maya recalls that Obama's maternal grandparents, who had played a big role in raising him, continued long after that to call him by an affectionate nickname, "Bar." "Not just them, but my mom, too," says Obama.

www.newsweek.com...

This really is a simple question. Why keep the islamic name? If he isn't really Islamic, then WHY?

[edit on 9-6-2009 by heliosprime]

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Because it's his name.

Sort of like how despite not being a Christian, I keep my Christian name.

omgwtfbbq, right?

Seriously, some people will freak out over anything.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Why would he change his name, what should he change it to? Barry white? Come on would you change your name if what ever ethnicity suddenly became hated by ignorant people?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
If my name was Saddam Hussein bin Laden and some redneck took exception to it, I would invite him to kiss my -------- before changing it.

[edit on 043030p://pm3032 by masonwatcher]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Exactly which name would you expect him to change?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Wow you just keep spamming these muslim negative none saying threads on this board. I think this is the 4th thread you written on these forums about Obama being muslim in some way. Please provide some factual evidence or stop posting ridiculous claims you cannot back up.

Ohh answer for the thread question: Because if was the name his parents decided to give him, and my guess is he do not see anything wrong with it.

Best regards

Loke.:.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
We're all familiar with the old saw that says there are no stupid questions.

Another vote here for "Because it's his name."

Some people have way too much time on their hands.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Actually, he should have changed his name to Barry Bonds, since they both share an uncanny ability to lie with a straight face.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I'm glad he kept his given name. I don't believe it would be in the best interest of the President to have an A.K.A. To use a name that is different from your given name, gives the connotation of criminal behavior.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
And if he would have changed it, people obviously would have known that his name "was" barrack hussein obama. If he were elected as barry bama or some variation, people would be asking. Why did you change your name? Are you ashamed of muslim sounding names? What are you hiding? Who are you really? All of which would be far worse than, just sticking with the perfectly fine name he was born with.

Rant over.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Uh, my mom gave me a French name, but I wasn't born in France. Her mother gave her a Spanish name, but she wasn't born in Spain and spoke no Spanish. I don't speak, read or write French. But, uh, we both kept our names anyway...they're our names, and I could care less if an ignorant person (ignorant in the nicest sense of the word) doesn't like it. In fact, I feel really, really sorry for ignorant people. Maybe that's the way Obama feels. I hope so.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
President Sotero decided to keep his Islamic name only after the elections were over. His full and complete name wasn't even on the ballot.
God help you if you were to even mention the word Hussein just last year, but now that he's Prez it's OK to use it again.

How conveeenient.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I can personally relate to this. I am an Afrikaans speaking person with a German name "Ziegfried". First of all in Germany you will mostly find the spelling of the name to be "Siegfried" because in German the "S" is pronounced as a "Z".

From the day I opened my eyes everybody - especially my family - called me - "Siegie". Later on people called me "Ziggy" etc. I never accepted this and it resulted in an absolute irrational resistance I developed against these diminutive forms of my name.

After I have left school and moved away from my home town and meeting new friends, I have made a point of making sure they address me by my proper name. I have also told my family that I do not like to be called by these little pet names thy gave me. Today everyone calls me by my proper name and I make a point not to associate with people who address me by any shortened form of my name.

I absolutely understand why Barack does not want to be called Barry. It is nothing to do with the roots of the name itself but a rather a feeling that people disregard an important part of you - which is your name. Nicknames or diminutive forms of names usually are negative (in any event for me) even if the other person using it, does not mean anything negative by that - that is the way I perceive it.

As I have mentioned before, it might sound totally irrational being so adamant to be called by your real name, but it does matter to me.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
Because it's his name.

Sort of like how despite not being a Christian, I keep my Christian name.

omgwtfbbq, right?

Seriously, some people will freak out over anything.

His (mother) and grandparents who actually raised him called him "barry" for far longer than he decided to call himself "barack". It is an obvious sign of his complete hatred for all things christian and american. He only became prez to destroy both chrisitanity and america. The very thing his vile father satan spawned him to do............

Oh and don't go to the rev wright church lie..........rev wright is about as christian as Osama bin Ladin or the nut job running iran..........

As time moves forward barry will discover publically his roots to Islam.......something he has always held close.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime

His (mother) and grandparents who actually raised him called him "barry" for far longer than he decided to call himself "barack". It is an obvious sign of his complete hatred for all things christian and american. He only became prez to destroy both chrisitanity and america. The very thing his vile father satan spawned him to do............

This is the most outlandishly ridiculous thing I have ever seen written on here, and there is some kooky stuff. Have you ever known a boy named james that everyone called jaime and then one day he decided he wanted to grow up and made everyone call him james. Or a Billy than became William, or Joey that became Joseph. Shedding a childhood nickname is extremely common. Hardley a display of "his complete hatred of all things christian and america". The republicans lost pal, build yourself a bridge and get over it. Maybe next time Newt Gingrich or Rush Limbaugh will be your right wing propaganga spewing war machine that would be the answers to your prayers. Then you go on to say that he is the spawn of satan and elude to his name as being muslim, those are extremely contradictory ideals. Have you met any muslim people? Or do you think they are all dirty, wearing too much clothing, toting a rpg and a bad beard? You should crawl out from your ammunitions bunker and meet some people or at least use the internet to find out about the real Islam, not the radicals in pakistan. Ignorance is curable sir, so there is still hope for you yet.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime It is an obvious sign of his complete hatred for all things christian and american. He only became prez to destroy both chrisitanity and america. The very thing his vile father satan spawned him to do............

You finally dog-darn dunnit, Dude. You left me speechless and incapable of framing a rational response.

Guess that puts us both in the same sandbox now...

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by born-indigo
Have you met any muslim people? Or do you think they are all dirty, wearing too much clothing, toting a rpg and a bad beard? You should crawl out from your ammunitions bunker and meet some people or at least use the internet to find out about the real Islam, not the radicals in pakistan.

God — The Koran asserts that the god of Islam is the God of Christians and Jews (Sura 29:46). Nothing could be farther from the truth.7

The god of Islam, Allah, is most definitely not the God of the Bible. Allah is presented in the Koran as an autocratic ruler who is aloof and arbitrary (Sura 5:40). Allah is unknowable whereas the God of the Bible is knowable (2 Timothy 1:12). Allah is impersonal, unlike the personal God the Scriptures reveal (1 Peter 5:6-7). Allah is unitarian (Sura 4:48) whereas the God of the Bible is trinitarian (2 Corinthians 13:14). Here is what the Koran says about the God of the Bible (Sura 4:171): “Believe in Allah and say not ‘Trinity.’ Cease! It is better for you! Allah is only One God. Far is it removed from his transcendent majesty that he should have a son.”

Allah is capricious (Sura 2:284), whereas the true God is trustworthy. And Allah is never anywhere presented as a god of love — which is the essence of the nature of the true God (1 John 4:7-16).

Jesus — The Koran denies point blank that Jesus was the Son of God (Sura 112:2-3). It also denies His atoning sacrifice by claiming that he never died (Sura 4:157). A substitute died for Him on the Cross. Jesus was translated to Heaven, like Enoch, where He will remain until He returns to kill all pigs, destroy all crosses, and convert the world to Islam. Jesus will marry, reign for 40 years and then die and be buried next to Muhammad in Medina.8 Jesus is characterized in the Koran as nothing more than “an apostle of Allah” (Sura 4:171).

www.apologeticsindex.org...

Obama's having been born and raised a Muslim and having left the faith to become a Christian make him neither more nor less qualified to become president of the United States. But if he was born and raised a Muslim and is now hiding that fact, this points to a major deceit, a fundamental misrepresentation about himself that has profound implications about his character and his suitability as president.

www.danielpipes.org...

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
My first name is Arabic. My last name is Jewish. I am neither. Should I change my name too? Should I just become "Sally Smith" so that no one can assume anything about me other than I'm Caucasian?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by heliosprime

Because that's who he is. Why would he? He's a mature man who's probably grown to respect his roots and embrace his culture. Even if he was a Muslim, so what? We're still passing out hundreds of millions of dollars to Israel and bribes to ensure things remain somewhat stable over there. Nothing has changed except a name, so would there be any relevance to why or why not he would keep his name?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
You know my name means Virgin Mother... why do I keep it?

I find this to be slightly pandering to the "ONOZ Islam is bad!" crowd.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join