It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today i received a letter from my ISP...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
So yeah let's just go ahead and take anything you want.

The whole art gallery or museum thing is a weird analogy to this.

You go into an art gallery and see Whistler's Mother. You pay (I have no idea...) like 25 dollars to get in. You spend 2 hours enjoy the view and are satisfied. Now...you paid for the viewing but let's say you want a print of Whistler's Mother...you buy a print of it.

The point I am making is this

My favorite movie in the history of movies (cheesy though it may be) is Halloween...not the Rob Zombie version...just Halloween

The movie is shown and I watch it in the theatre...now I have two choices since I adore this film

1. I go buy a copy (an actual copy on a DVD...something physical) and pay 15-20 dollars

2. I rip it off of a torrent

Now this is exactly what I am getting at...they printed this DVD expecting to sell for 20. If I and 200,000 others Rip the film then we have each denied them the money we would have paid for it.

That to me is stealing

-Kyo

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

They have lost their old business model of forced content and over-priced pieces of plastic. This is why they make people like you believe it's illegal and all that crap and we're terrorists for downloading pinball games, or whatever.

With broadband internet and Sky+, customers are now empowered to view what they want, when they want.

I don't see any problem with you watching your Halloween movie for $50 (popcorn, drinks, ticket, etc) at the cinema, that's your choice. But if i want to download the torrent for free, then that's my choice.

The *IAA's are stupid and greedy by trying to legislate against torrents. They should do the following instead:

1) Make their content available for free on torrent sites with a low bitrate format. Most torrents are crap anyway as they are cammed and are inherently poor quality.
2) If i want a BluRay HD version so i can watch it at home on a 60'' Dolby cinematic set-up, then i'd pay $5 for that disc, as it would consume so much bandwidth via a torrent, it's easier to own the disc and i'd get an awesome viewing experience.
3) Put ads on the torrent movie, so they can cross-sell other content or merchandise.
4) Partner with ISP's instead of making them pass on customers private details. Users could have the choice to pay $5-10 per month which unlocks high quality, virus free torrents from the source!!

Basically, broadband has brought a new business model to users - free and instant content. It's not rocket science to understand that there is no way they will police this new domain of digital exchange.

They just need to pull their fingers out their a# and harness this tech, instead of vilifying it.

KyoZero, I hope you find my point of view compelling enough to change your mind

Regards
PoS

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
First of all...nobody made me believe it. I came to my conclusions under my own microscope.

Your arguments are fine but what I see in the end is that "they can't catch me so it's ok"

Hey...I am not gonna tell you what to do and clearly you won't either...though where you got the 50 dollars is beyond me...but I buy a copy of Halloween once and now I can watch it all I want.

Destined to disagree but destined to stay civil...I like that

-Kyo

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Why buy a copy of Halloween, when you can download it for free...i don't understand

Perhaps i should reveal the ace up my sleeve and kindly ask that you read this most fascinating page: www.futureofmusic.org...

There are too many great snippets to quote here, so have a read and see what you think.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by PrisonerOfSociety]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The link wasn't working so if you repost I will happily watch

-Kyo

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Sorry about that KyoZero, i put a full stop on the end and it got included in the url. Please click the link again in the original post.

The article is about music creators, but it extends to all content creators and how they are bought out by the distribution elite and their archaic biz model

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join