It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(sci/tech) ISP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
[edit on 2004-7-2 by Teknik]

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Teknik,

You either have to accept my edits, or this will not be upgraded. You decide and let me know.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Just to clarify. Teknik didn't do anything wrong, but if you edit an ATSNN article after it has been upgraded, it will automatically drop back down to a submission.

This is FYI for members in the future.

No worries.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
ISP's, such as Road Runner, are actively 'spam-blocking' at several different levels. Some of which you will not be aware of, nor have control of.

Enom, a very large REGISTRAR of domain names for example.

The domain name mechanism requires that emails be forwarded. Registrars do not filter email as that is not their purpose in the system.

Lets see how many ISP's are blocking emails routed thru enom mail servers as part of the internet mechanism,...

Tiscali
optonline.net
Hotmail
Juno
AOL
RoadRunner (rr.com)
Charter.net
Comcast
Verizon
Webtv
Yahoo

Common now, HOTMAIL & YAHOO too ?!!!

They are a source of spam if anything else !

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The biggest obstical to overcome with any spam filtering is that the definition of "spam" differs with each person. Unless some practical definition can be determined that seperates spam from content, it's just going to be a big chaotic mess. We'll continue to see individual orginizations make their own determintation as to what spam is, mostly painting with a really wide brush.

Dispite the fact that the majority of us want the Internet to stay free and unencumbered by restrictions, I believe that regulation is coming. Enjoy this freeflow of information while you can. I can't imagine that it will be allowed to continue forever.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
What? Comcrap has a spam filter? Coulda fooled me!

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
FYI - those ISP's I listed are published at Enom's KnowledgeBase,...

www.enom.com...

Click on the eNom� Knowledge Base
and then the pop-up support center has a link on that page for 'BlackListings'.

Nobody wants spam.

But do you want your ISP picking thru your mail and saying,...

spam,
spam,
junk,
good,
spam,
spam,..etc.

Would you want your real mailman to sort thru your mail for you, prior to putting it in your box?!

Maybe I wanted that ad, or it was targeted to me acceptably?
Maybe it was information I requested?

Did anybody ask me?

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
spam filtering is one thing, but also be aware that if the mail server is an open relay its going to end up on a number of black lists that will preven the mail from going through. this has been in place for quite some time.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by spangbr
spam filtering is one thing, but also be aware that if the mail server is an open relay its going to end up on a number of black lists that will preven the mail from going through. this has been in place for quite some time.

My post was specific to a REGISTRAR.

Registrars MUST relay the mail to the owner. This isnt just some private server operating an open relay. They are accredited by ICANN.

Interesting though, this is the same responses I receive from RR, my ISP in regards to enom, my domain registrar. They act like enom is operating an open relay.
I suggest to them this fact, and suddenly support gets dumb, and says they must refer this to the next level of support. Which I never hear from at all in reply.

Some stats...

Total Domain Name Registrations (in all TLDs): 2,993,695
Total Number of Hosts in eNom's DNS: 6,710,371
Average DNS queries per day: 500 million to 1 billion

Approximate number of emails forwarded per day: 11 million

www.enom.com...

Not exactly small by any standards.

I would like to wonder how many of those 11 million emails per day never make it to their destination becouse of too tight ISP controls. The owners of almost 3 million domain names, are being mistreated by ISP's.

In my opinion, this is the ISP trying to force the spam issue onto the registrar.

[Edited on 3-5-2004 by smirkley]

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join