It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charging (a lot!) for News Online: The Newport Daily News' New Experiment with Paid Content

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Charging (a lot!) for News Online: The Newport Daily News' New Experiment with Paid Content

www.niemanlab.org< br />

Last month, the newspaper announced a new three-tier pricing structure for subscriptions. Want home delivery of the print paper? That’s $145 a year. Want home delivery and online access? That’s $245. And if you want just online access — to an electronic edition that duplicates the appearance of the print product — it’s a whopping $345.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
WOW!!!

WHAT are these people thinking???

People are hurting right now due to the economy, and they feel justified in charging $345 if you just want to read their news stories on line?

Don't the ads pay for the cost of printing their news/paper on their website?

I don't see this working out very well for them unless A LOT more online news websites follow suit!

I guess we all saw this sort of thing might be coming, but ....

Jeez, if you liked to peruse 4 or 5 different news sites online it' would cost you over $1000 a year!!!

Heck, some people don't even pay that much a year for their internet connection!

www.niemanlab.org< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/9/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Thats the thing, it isn't going to work out for them. They will not get enough subscribers and subsequently WILL go out of business. News is free all over the net, why would anyone pay such a ridiculous price? Don't get me wrong, they will get some people, but it wont be enough.

[Mod Edit - Replaced unnecessary quote with Reply To: tab]

[edit on 9/6/2009 by Sauron]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
wouldnt it make more sense to charge more for the paper news rather then the internet news? i mean look how many trees and what not are waisted on a daily basis with all the different types of newspapers out there ? if i were them i would charge more for the home paper then the online one

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
If you think about it it is pretty much perfect that MSM is dabbling with subscription fee's to read their misguided propaganda
It will get read less, less people that read that crap and for their dose of news they will have to search the net for outlets, in their search they will stumble upon sites like this, infowars.com and other non mainstream sites and this will in turn tickle their paranoia bone.

Paying for content that is being put together with blatant lies and some halftruths so that they will engage in their own demise is perfect. It would be fun if people try to mislead their test by massively subscribing to the site and when other companies follow suit to just cancel the subscription.

Who's with me?
. Ok ok, just kidding but it would be neat to beat them at their own game

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This isnt going to work.

I tell you if all popular news venues go this route I will make it my personal job to report as much as I can from the Houston Area.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The fees quoted are astronomical! This is just a way for the corporate elite to dumb done the impoverished and to control all information. I think it is a shame that the media would resort to this type of behavior. They are eating right out of the hands of the money-grubbers. The elites view of the lower-class is like mushrooms feed them crap and keep them in dark. Sad I know, but that is how I really think they feel about the underclass. However, their control is slowly fading with each passing day and the control grid is slowly falling apart as people begin to wake from their slumbers. It has happened before in history.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Like has already been said here, this is just doomed to failure. Obviously the idea was dreamed up by someone who has utterly no clue about how the internet works.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
There are a lot of ways to look at this.

First off, they are killing print. Purposefully? I don't know. But this model clearly shows that they are surrendered the existence of print news to the small-scale local level (you know, 99% ads for local stores + piddly non-issue news and opinions).

Second, the media moguls who own the vast majority of news sources are further consolidating and limiting global access to 'news' (THEIR news) by making press print a non-viable model. They are also the same owners of the press anyway, so it makes sense they want to maximize revenue and profit by getting rid of all the extraneous resource drains of distribution and supply.

Third, if there were even one well-placed print operation in existence - they could save themselves by ejecting the damn NWO initiatives and begin investigating and reporting true factual news without propaganda and bias. But the governments of the world are not fostering that kind of enterprise now are they?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
We all better hope this isn’t going to work or it’s going to set a really filthy precedent for a lot of other news sites out there that wouldn’t hesitate to jump on the *pay for it* bandwagon if they thought they could get away with it.

Grrrrr!

top topics

join