It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'US protectionist move may lead to countermove by India'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

'US protectionist move may lead to countermove by India'

economictimes.indiati mes.com

IT industry body NASSCOM on Tuesday said any protectionist move by the US that adversely impacts the domestic outsourcing industry might trigger retaliatory measures by India.

He noted that India has opened up its market. "Today, we are one of the largest buyers of defence planes," he said without elaborating.

"This war could get started off. If there is any protectionist move in the US, it could lead to India coming out with counter protectionist measure," NASSCOM President Som Mittal told reporters here.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
So this is becoming protectionism vs. protectionism vs. protectionism.
Interesting comment about the defense planes too.

But in an era where they are forcing globalisation down our throats why would do create a protectionist ripple effect like this that may span accross the globe?

Also in a time where they are trying to create a one-world govt. and a global currency protectionism goes against those animals.

So come on ATS, what's the deal here?

economictimes.indiati mes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The sad thing is that this countries has been doing protectionism for a long time and nobody is taking complains with the WTO to stop that, only when America does they do something about in the way of penalties.

Now if every America will start looking at the trash they buy and burn anything that is not American or just don't waste their money in it we will be supporting our nations economy rather than the economy of these nations.

But America consumerism and credit card spending spree is at fault on this one.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
yes - its a not so subtle hint at the multi billion $$ upciming fighter competition - and India remembers very well the sanctions the USA did less than 20 years ago.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Yes but 20 years ago, is was not WTO and free trade agreements, something that our nation has been very fast to sign even when is killing our nations economy and the hard working class.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
protectionism vs protectionism imo it's all only a gut reaction and a paper wrench thrown into the global machine.. It means nothing in the long term and on the bigger scale therefore it is all meaningless and just posturing as govt's try to figure out how to fix their economic issues.

[edit on 6-9-2009 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
i want to know , why sis the USA still running around the world, when it would be hugely better off fixing within and not without - bring the troops home so they spend there wages at `big als beer store` and not on bottled water in the sand box

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Bring the technical support and customer service jobs back to the US. I am really tired of phonetically spelling terms back and forth when I need support simply because I cannot understand what the techs are saying through their heavy accents. I spend an extra two to three hours on support calls simply because I cannot understand the people my internet provider has decided to handicap me with. Those guys in India sure know their stuff and they are awfully darned friendly on the phone. But just give me somebody I can understand and who knows their stuff of course.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

DELL moved their tech support from India to Texas.
Customers got mad because they understood indian accents better than texan accents lol.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Leave it to the Democrats to start a trade war with one of the richest countries on the planet. I knew this would happen.

Obama is stirring a very dangerous pot at the moment. There are alot of variables here that could go very wrong. What if China took this stance against the US?

This would not only effect the US, but Canada and Mexico as well. This is a very sleippery slope, this economy could get very bad in the the near future.

Let's all hope we end this "I have a bigger stick than you" nonsense and get back to working together in this crisis.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
unfortunately the US is reaping what it sowed.

US corporations have led in outsourcing jobs to Asia.here in the UK we have over 60,00 imported indian workers working for global corporations,taking skills from UK Citizens that will be lost for ever.

None of the big UK Parties will address it.

Corporations control the UK,not the people.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Well no really if the US will start making its own trash like they did before,

Actually American made used to be the best in the world perhaps we can start doing the same cheap labor and products like other countries and reap the benefits, after all we are consumer crazy here in America, while in developing countries the citizens are still treated like slaves and many can not even afford what they are making.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Customers got mad because they understood indian accents better than texan accents lol.

I hope that was sarcasm, otherwise I'll have to ask for a source for this outrageous lie. Dell moved their Enterprise support back to the United States a while back because the support being received from India was causing such a customer service backlash that so many of their Enterprise contracts were cancelling or threatening to cancel their accounts with Dell if they continued down that road. But that was circa 2005/2006.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
China and India are doing well because they were prepared to use protectionism for the strength of their nation .

In the West its Corporate profit that calls the shots.The idea of a national interest is non existent. We have been sucked in by their cheap services -good luck to them - and we will get what we deserve.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Unfortunetly nobody in the US is willing to work for 2 dollars an hour. Most Americans have this idea that they are took good to work in these industries.

If the world decided to actually make products that weren't build to break. Then we would have some better industry.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Dude I talk to Dell execs on an almost daily basis

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

You are right about that and I find not solution to Americas lack of industrial base and how this nation can bring this back when all these developing nations can do the job for less.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
The truth is that we actually need nothing from India or even China for that matter. We hold all the cards and they do not dare call our bluff. Everything they say is simply table talk. The best thing for America would be to cut off all trade with these nations. Let them eat cake!

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

you obviously don't know that you have an oil-based economy or don't know where your oil comes from

and good luck finding an alternative as free market is dying fast

have a nice day

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

that's pretty funny
.... I never would have thought indian accents would be easier to understand than a Texas accent.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join