It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Thomas Hamill Escapes Iraqis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Kidnapped U.S. contractor Thomas Hamill has been found safe after nearly three weeks of captivity, he escaped his captors almost a month after being kidnapped. This is bound to become a story of personal perseverence over extremely difficult circumstances, Mr Hamill captured April 9 during an attack on a supply convoy he was driving in, appeared on a video produced by his captors and 2 days prior was filmed by an ABC news crew. There had been no word on his fate since the video released on April 10, Showed Hamill standing in front of an Iraqi flag. An insurgent heard on the tape said they would kill him within 12 hours unless the United States lifted the siege of Fallujah.The April 9 attack had a very heavy toll: besides Hamill, seven other employees of the Halliburton subsidary KBR - formerly known as Kellogg, Brown & Root - and another U.S. solder were missing.

CNN

BAGHDAD, Iraq. An American contractor, missing since a convoy attack last month, was recovered and is in good health after escaping from his captors, U.S. Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt announced Sunday.

Hamill, 43, of Macon, Miss., was discovered when he approached a U.S. patrol from the 2nd Battalion 108th Infantry, part of the New York National Guard, in the town of Balad, 35 miles south of Tikrit, a spokesman for U.S. troops in Tikrit said.

He identified himself, then led the patrol to the house where he had been held captive. The unit surrounded the house and captured two Iraqis with an automatic weapon, said the spokesman, Maj. Neal O'Brien.

In Macon, Hamill's wife, Kellie, said she received a call about 5:50 a.m. telling her that her husband had been found alive. She said it was "the best wakeup call I've ever had."

Kellie said one of the first things she did was to wake up their children.

"There has been a lot of praying and I am so grateful to everybody," she said. "We're all so relieved, so excited."

She said she had no idea when her husband would be returning home or when she would be able to see him.

"I want everybody know he's been found," she added. "I'm going to be shouting it from the rooftops."

The bodies of four of the KBR employees were later found in a shallow grave near the area of attack. The body of the soldier, Sgt. Elmer Krause of Greensboro, N.C., was also found and identified on April 23.

ATS post on this subject
Reuters
Guardian

[Edited on 2-5-2004 by Phoenix]

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by Valhall]

[Edited on 2-5-2004 by Nerdling]

[Edited on 3-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Im glad he is safe and all, but does anyone else see this as being odd? He just excaped?

I cant see how the terrorist are have gotten this far,
hostages just walking off.

Apparently he must of been to smart for them.

In all the video that was show of him, he was always so calm. Maybe its just me, seems shady.

Oh, I forgot, he is ready to go back to work in Iraq. He has to be having fun, why would you want to stay?

[Edited on 2-5-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Maybe its just me, seems shady.

Oh, I forgot, he is ready to go back to work in Iraq. He has to be having fun, why would you want to stay?

Amen, brother. The moment I saw the headline on the Net I wondered how the flick that happened. Come on now, who do they think they are trying to kid here....

I'm glad he eluded his captors, but will we hear the whole, true story? I wonder if he signed his book deal yet.
Call me a cynic!!

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
In all the video that was show of him, he was always so calm. Maybe its just me, seems shady.
[Edited on 2-5-2004 by SpittinCobra]

Those insurgents were serious. The people they killed proved that point. I just think that their "guest" was very calm and collected.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Yup I can see the book deal and movie rights for sure, maybe he played on the fact that he was just a truck driver and the Iraqis underestimated his ingenuity, we'll soon know though as this story develops in the next few days. Hope he doe's get the money for his story - it seems his family could use the help, I would'nt mind that at all.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
AWWWWWW YEA! U GOT SERVED, YA IRAQI TERRORISTS! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! U MESS WITH ONE OF US, U MESS WITH ALL OF US!!!!!

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Congratulations on his release. Finally a positive story for the American media to report on.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I'm so relieved he is safe now. He was one of the coolest people i've ever seen in that situation

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Wow, this is even better news than when Jessica Lynch was found and freed!

Better because Mr. Hammil didn't quit, give up or give in. He effected his own escape!

Bravo to Mr Hammil!

Hurray for the passing American soldiers that were quick to react and pick up a running American off the streets!

ap.tbo.com...

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
They guy was X Special Forces, and I doubt his Captures knew exactly what they were doing. I would like to here more about how he did it.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
According to a Fox broadcast earlier this evening Thomas Hamill had escaped once and was recaptured. He again escaped successfully today, gotta hand it to him he must have played it very cool in order to get his captors to let the guard down a second time. This is going to be a hell of a story about an average american overcoming bad odds when we get the full details here in the next day or so.

new topics

top topics

join