It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uniformed police trap speeding cyclists on beach promenade

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Uniformed police trap speeding cyclists on beach promenade

www.telegraph.co. uk

Peering out from behind a Dorset beach hut, this police officer is armed with a speed camera waiting to catch cyclists travelling too fast along a promenade. As unsuspecting riders peddled past, the officer clocked them with the hand-held speed gun.

Those who were found to break the 10mph limit were stopped 200 yards along the prom by a council "seafront ranger" who was in radio communication with the PC.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
You couldnt make this stuff up, really you couldnt. You would have thought that the police might use their time a little more effetively catching criminals and generally protecting the rights of the public, not bothering cyclists on the beach.

The best bit is, after stopping them, the police are powerless to do anything anyway. What an earth is going on is this country.

www.telegraph.co. uk

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
You have to be kidding me right? This story is some kind of late April Fool's joke, right?
We are ALL doomed. I'm sorry I can't even form a cogent response to this.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0010110011101

You couldnt make this stuff up, really you couldnt. You would have thought that the police might use their time a little more effetively catching criminals and generally protecting the rights of the public, not bothering cyclists on the beach.

The best bit is, after stopping them, the police are powerless to do anything anyway. What an earth is going on is this country.

www.telegraph.co. uk

Ironically, a local radio station was talking this morning about crazy bicyclist that ride to fast in the city parks and that they should enforce the 15MPH speed limit. I actually agree with the police here. The parks and such are for everyone, including bicyclist. That also means they should ride responsible. People walk their dogs, take their children there and having some idiot haul butt through this area is dangerous. I've seen bicyclist hit dogs, children and even adults casually riding their own bikes. There is a place for speed bikers and then there is the parks for casual people. Keep the speeding where speeding is aloud!

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I dont disagree that sometimes people can ride their bikes without due care or consderation for others, but is this really a Police matter?

Why on earth do you need a police officer with a speed gun for this? The so called "seafront ranger" could just stop people and ask them to be a bit more considerate.

It's just ridiculous. As djvexd said, I thought it was Aptil 1st again.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I dont disagree that sometimes people can ride their bikes without due care or consderation for others, but is this really a Police matter?

Well if they run down a small child or a dog and the parent/owner decides to beat the bike rider senseless, then it would become a police matter for sure.

So I guess that means the answer is YES. The police are trying to prevent various injuries from occuring. And I agree if it is a heavy pedestrian area they SHOULD keep the speed down. Skate boards are banned in many places, better to enforce the speed limits for bikes than have them banned too.

I assume these bikes are riding on sidewalks/open walkways that are populated by pedestrians.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Having been on the receiving end of many bike related tickets (going 45 in a 25 not being the least) it's just another revenue stream for government.

Sooner or later bicycle registration will rear its ugly head and we'll be subjected to the same nonsense drivers are being supplementary insurance, registration fees, licensing for operation, property tax on the value of the bicycle etc...

And the majority of Americans will no doubt support this. Stories will crop up of those speeding bikers slamming into little old ladies, sliding out in the rain and causing traffic accidents that result in the deaths or virgins, nuns and children. People will be fed venom to ramp up the "it's unfair they use the same roads but dont pay the same taxes" hysteria.

It's coming.

For every cyclist win there's park that suddenly becomes off limits to mountain bikes or a a city that sends cops on bikes onto sidewalks to fine you for riding on a sidewalk.

Just another revenue stream for government. That's all you are.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Again, in that eventuality I dont disagree with you, but the article is on the premise of a speeding offence. It then goes on to say that the Police are powerless to do anything anyway bar give out a word of warning.

Just seems like a huge waste of Police time and taxpayer's money.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Though I used to be an avid biker, I know how cocky and dangerous some of these bikers can be. Some feel they own the road (path) and really their riding and speed should be restricted just like cars. People can be hurt by bikers. Ive seen it more than once. The paths they ride on are not just for pikers - but for walkers too.

These bikers are not even getting in trouble:

Despite their zealous pursuit, the officials had no powers to punish offenders with fines as cyclists don't have speedometers and so don't know when they break the law.

Instead they are given words of advice and a leaflet on the dangers of cycling too fast on the seven mile prom in Bournemouth, Dorset

If it is n ot a police matter than who should be watching this? Civilians yelling at the bikers to slow down wont work. Bikers running people over wont work. Something has to be done if the bikers can not share the road safely with everyone.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by 0010110011101

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Not sure why this is a huge waste. They say it is one cop and one ranger at a time doing this. Him being out there also means he is looking out for crime that may occur.

"It's a joint initiative with the police, involving one police officer and one seafront ranger on each day.

Not much different then beat cops walking a boardwalk.

IMO

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 6/9/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Oh c'mon!! If they are riding too fast all you have to do is 'accidently' hit them with something and they go flying...

I agree, this isnt a police matter. Go catch the murderers and rapists.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Maybe you're right and I'm just being a grumpy old bastard!

I suppose the thing that gets me is that we were unfortunate enough to have our house broken into this year. Luckily no-one was in at the time but on returning to the property and reporting it to the Police it took nearly 48 hours for them to send someone out to speak to us, investigate and take fingerprints etc.

So, when my house gets burgled and my family's lives are violated, I cant get a policeman round for love nor money. However, ride your bike a bit quickly and there's a fed waiting to jump out with his speed gun. It leaves me thinking that the Police's priorities need looking at again and that some more appropriate scheduling of resources is in order!

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

reply to post by Sonya610

Again, in that eventuality I dont disagree with you, but the article is on the premise of a speeding offence. It then goes on to say that the Police are powerless to do anything anyway bar give out a word of warning.

The article isn't about punishing those that are stopped for being irresponsible, wreckless A holes, it is about inconvieniancing them until they slow down. They pull them over and give them a quick safety class.

Whats sad is that they stopped 30 cyclist in one hour. Whats sad is they have to do this to keep the pedistrian from getting ran over by these A holes. Whats sad is the main reason they are doing this is because a little girl was ran over by a cyclist there not to long ago. Whats sad is that their are people out there who jump all over the cops butts for actually doing something.

30 in one hour? I hope a law is passed where they can start ticketing them.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by 0010110011101

Bicyclist feel they are above the law. They break the law all the freaking time but want more and more of the road. I, personally, feel it's about time they start holding bicyclist to the same regard the do motorist.

new topics

top topics

join