It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spy bugs may be deployed for 2012 Olympics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Spy bugs may be deployed for 2012 Olympics

www.timesonline.co.uk

BRITISH police are studying Chinese-style surveillance tactics as they prepare security for the 2012 London Olympics, a leaked Scotland Yard report has revealed.

The report, marked “restricted”, reveals that among the “Big Brother” tactics deployed at last summer’s Beijing Games was the installation of miniature microphones in thousands of taxis.

The bugs transmitted passengers’ conversations to a police control room. There, officers could activate disabling devices to stop the cabs if they suspected criminal activity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
This is just getting ridiculous now. Normally I brush off a lot of the "UK is most CCTV country" type stuff, as most of it is in private hands, not actually the government spying.

But this is going way too far. Taking tips from the Chinese on how best to spy on people. DISGUSTING!

I'm really annoyed by this, if they keep it up, and start installing bugs in taxis and that kind of thing, I think I will have to try and find an actual free country to move to, but I guess that's a pretty tough thing to do in our newly globalised world.

www.timesonline.co.uk

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jimminycricket

What would be more astonishing, is that the Taxi Drivers themselves would agree to have these bugs installed.

This is going way beyond anti terroism, is about time we the citizens took back some off our Liberties. More Police state here in the UK.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I guess its only time when you will see those blimps hovering above the city, they wont be too big but big enough to carry surveillance relay equipment.

Is it me, or is the world becoming over paranoid.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by jimminycricket

What would be more astonishing, is that the Taxi Drivers themselves would agree to have these bugs installed.

When you scare/manipulate people just right, many can be convinced into doing things that would be normally out of character.

I'm thinking of the Milgram Experiment, and things like the Clergy Response Team, and there are many many more examples throughout history.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
I guess its only time when you will see those blimps hovering above the city, they wont be too big but big enough to carry surveillance relay equipment.

I think it's you, and I think if you look carefully you should be able to find plenty to be paranoid about. The world is going to hell.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaronVonGodzilla

Originally posted by tristar

I think it's you, and I think if you look carefully you should be able to find plenty to be paranoid about. The world is going to hell.

Don't get me wrong, i do understand that a security issue of any sort is not to be taken lightly. Similar to when someone breaks into your home and you dial the police you expect them to be there within one or two mins, if they take over ten minutes then you start cursing them either to your friends or yourself. So how much security do we want ?, how much security do we need ?.

In my books its s two sided knife, obviously society across the world has grown far more violent due to its exposure of violence through the use of all media resources. It was inevitable for this to happen, so i would not point my finger and scream, oh , oh , there taking away my freedom. I mean just take a small glance at your local television networks on any given channel and see what you are being exposed and count the amount of killings you are a being shown. Another prime example is look at the movies, there all full of gun slinging rambo's.

Subject that content to two generations and you have exactly what we have in today's world as social disorder.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimminycricket

This is just getting ridiculous now. Normally I brush off a lot of the "UK is most CCTV country" type stuff, as most of it is in private hands, not actually the government spying.

But this is going way too far. Taking tips from the Chinese on how best to spy on people. DISGUSTING!

I'm really annoyed by this, if they keep it up, and start installing bugs in taxis and that kind of thing, I think I will have to try and find an actual free country to move to, but I guess that's a pretty tough thing to do in our newly globalised world.

www.timesonline.co.uk

No it is not in private hands - it is simply outsourced and operated by private firms. Big difference - and it is even worse to have a foreign owned company spying on citizens on behalf of a gaovernment - appalling.

new topics

top topics

join