It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you Present?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I have written about remaining present throughout your day in the past, and today I would like to share with you an amazing method of doing so.

I know a lot of people who are just getting into being mindful throughout their day. If you would like to know why is is beneficial you can take a look at the NOW thread in my sig below.

It can be difficult to rise above your mental chatter and stay there for long periods of time in today's society. Sometimes you can use some help and recently I have found a great way of doing this with some help from a friend.

It helps to be close with someone who has experienced the benefits of being in the present moment. Now, the next time you hang out with this person, as you begin to converse and chat about different things, reach your hand out and gently place it on their shoulder and ask them, "Are you Present?"

You and your friend can go back and fourth reminding each other to be present in each of your hang out sessions. For me its finding the trigger that brings your out of the unconscious realm and into being, Your friend can be that trigger for you and vice versa. I have found my self slipping into a meditative state while walking around and talking because we continually bring each other into the now. You are challenging yourself to remain present for long periods of time while you are out walking and talking to people and interacting with the world.

Also, feel free to share what triggers presence in you!

Go out and try it! For me it was a life changing experience as I had never remained present for that long when out in public. Its easy to do when you are alone in your room meditating, so go out and challenge yourself.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
No ones up for the challenge? Anyone who has tried meditation before, being preset can be a walking and talking meditation throughout your day. Breaking free from the mental chatter and feeling the aliveness in your body can have amazing effects on your perceptions and reality itself.

I guess it seems like a lot of work but from my experience there is nothing that is more worth it.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
are you present my friend?

never hurts.. what doesn't hurt is good imo.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

I am now lol...see it works!

I try texting my gf throughout her stressful corporate job to give her a break from the craziness and she thanks me. Sometimes she will tell me NOT NOW and I know to leave her alone.

But you are right, I cant see taking a few moments break from the endless mental chatter hurting at all. There are times when we need the computer upstairs to do some work for us, but no harm in letting the hard drive cool down.

PS love the avatar

new topics

top topics

join