It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If it weren't for modern medicine, would you still be alive?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I was diagnosed with a malignant Brain Tumor when I was 23 in 2002, I had 6 weeks radiotherapy to the brain and 6 months chemotherapy, it came back stronger in 2007 I had more chemotherapy, so Ive been living with a malignant brain tumor for 7 years. the last scan i had showed no signs of returning. It's amazing what modern science can do. I also do some pretty unorthodox medical treatment, which is strictly herbal if you know what I mean

[edit on 9-6-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Well I've had 2 ectopic pregnancies, one which ruptured and did some damage.
I know for a fact that you can't survive after that without medical intervention.
So yeah, modern medical science has saved my life.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
In march 2006 i drove myself to the hospital because i was having strange symptoms and had a heart attack in the hospital parking lot. (VA hospital)

Within 30 minutes they had me in the heart catheterization lab at UCLA and had the blockage cleared and two weeks later i had a 5 way bypass. CABGx5.

If i had not went to the hospital because of the strange symptoms that i later found out were a atypical form of Angina Pectoris who knows how long before i would have collapsed.

In my case the angina was a burning sensation under the chin that spread down my neck and across my shoulders
I never did have any chest pain or shortness of breath.

However, now on the other hand, I have been having these symptoms^ Above mentioned. Along with severe headaches on the left side of my temple and all along the same side of the face, I called a clinic who told me to go to the ER cause I may be having a heart attack, I went to Brandon Hospital In Florida, YEAH I WANT THE WHOLE WORLD TO KNOW THIS HOSPITAL'S NAME! Anyway they said it was sinusitus, gave me a script for zithromax, no ct, angiogram, or mri. not even an exray...nada! I have no medical insurance so you can see why none of the above was done. I was told if the symptoms persisted to go back to that hospital...hahaha My white BUTT! The symptoms still persist, but I will be D**** if I ever go back to them. So I may not be here in a year. Who Knows...I don't want to waste my time anymore with these idiots down here.

Also, another such event against the medical establishment. This one In Newcomb Hospital in NJ. Which has been closed down now, Thank God! They called Division of youth and family services cause I took my then 6 yr old daughter to the ER complaining of hip joint pain. They said she had a broken hip(this is their excuse for calling DYFS SCUMBAGS ON ME) Now mind you I had a yr of nursing worked In the ARMY AS AN EMT, certainly I am no expert, but I looked at the exray anyway, there was no broken bone. So the next day I ran to my son's orthopedic (sports) dr. who was involved with his case due to HIS JOINT PAIN from LYME'S DISEASE! He looks at the exray and states and I quote"There is no broken hip never was now, or in the past. Any medical student straight out of Medical school can see that!" They can tell when a bone has healed. For months they never investigated why she had the pain in the first place. By the time they did they could only determine it was caused by an unknown virus. It was probably too late to find out it was lyme's disease by the time they would check. They caused my family months and months of pain and scrutiny. I wanted to deck the doctor so bad from that ER you just don't know! 10 months of my life was turned upside down by a doctor just because he either 1. didn't know what the hell he was doing or 2.didn't really look at the exray at all, but jumped to a conclusion because he just didn't like my attitude. He asked how did this happen and I told him "I don't know you're the doctor, this is why I brought her here!" And I said it pretty pissy, but hey it was late at night and I was worried/angry at the wait in teh lobby, etc. etc. And you know who felt the worse? My daughter's pediatrician, She called me and apoligized. Why? Because I had called her Emergancy line to see what I should do, and she was supposed to call ER ahead of time and give the med history, which she had tried to do, but was still on hold even as we LEFT the hospital, but the part she felt the worse about? She wished she ha just told us to wait till the morning and have us in on an emergancy visit and done all the work herself! She felt she let me down, but I don't blame her. It was the hospital right from the get go!

SO as you can see I am torn with the modern medical stuff... because of the human element as one poster put it. Humans are prone to making mistakes, and having a biased point of view just on how they percieve you, either about how you answer them (In my case I was quite nasty, But you see we were expecting the pediatrician had called in advance, so it would expedite things faster, little did we know that it was, the hospitals fault we had to wait from simply NOT answering their calls)Or your race, or your religion, I would also mention I was wearing a pentacle at the time. I got rid of it soon thereafter and retreated in closet for a very long time after. Even by the way you dress, ie Poor, you're a piece of S*** In some of their eyes. This is no less true for doctors as with any other human being. There are prejudiced doctors.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by Hazelnut

It is funny that you mention naturopathy. I recently went to a local naturopath for some various issues. To be perfectly honest, I walked out of there with a huge feeling that I had just been taken advantage of. I was overwhelmed with the feeling that it was just a front for selling expensive supplements.

For relatively insignificant issues like I was getting addressed, I don't trust regular doctors and I was very open to the naturopathic method. I looked forward to the appointment and was really really let down by the experience. I can't express how disappointing it was for me.

That really is a shame too. Anything to make a buck it seems. I'm sure that there are good ones somewhere, the trick is to find them. And doctors as well I admit. I have to agree that there are times when professional medical assistance is needed but the level of care these days is sorely lacking.

I've been studying and growing some common herbs and their learning their many uses, both medicinal and culinary. Funny thing is, that the culinary uses have curative effects. Preventive medicine from nature.
Over time, I expect I'll be able to treat anything from chest congestion to headache and open wounds just with the plants I can identify. I'm on sort of a mission to respect and utilize earth's resources, reignite the passion of self-reliance that we (as a species) have pushed to the bottom of the priority list.

I think prescription medicine is the most over abused practice in modern medicine. Again, anything to make a buck.

We must have healers and medicine but not the kind that is running the world these days. Doctors and nurses should be able to care for the people whom they treat. Empathy has been overridden by our system of medicine. That lack of empathy is the cause of so many stories like mine. It is a shame.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I was diagnosed with a malignant Brain Tumor when I was 23 in 2002, I had 6 weeks radiotherapy to the brain and 6 months chemotherapy, it came back stronger in 2007 I had more chemotherapy, so Ive been living with a malignant brain tumor for 7 years. the last scan i had showed no signs of returning. It's amazing what modern science can do. I also do some pretty unorthodox medical treatment, which is strictly herbal if you know what I mean

Can you please tell me what all your symptoms were? I don't know but the web md said I could have what you had: a tumor, or an anuerism, or a heart condition. I want to see If I can narrow it down and then seek help from a private doctor instead of going to the ER this time, which is worthless to me since I have no insurance.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I wouldnt have made it past birth. I was really small and premature and I was in the hospital for a month. I had a heart condition when I was born so if it waasnt for modern meds and tech I wouldnt even be here.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Can you please tell me what all your symptoms were? I don't know but the web md said I could have what you had: a tumor, or an anuerism, or a heart condition. I want to see If I can narrow it down and then seek help from a private doctor instead of going to the ER this time, which is worthless to me since I have no insurance.

This is a good forum, but this is most certainly NOT a forum to seek a medical diagnosis. Insurance or not, if you feel your life is at risk (you just listed some pretty serious conditions) , you should see a doctor.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SelfDestruct

Originally posted by ldyserenity

This is a good forum, but this is most certainly NOT a forum to seek a medical diagnosis. Insurance or not, if you feel your life is at risk (you just listed some pretty serious conditions) , you should see a doctor.

I totally agree, if you think you have a problem see a doctor asap. All i can suggest is ,you have to sort it out, at the least to set your mind at ease and to know what your dealing with

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
in some cases I believe modern medicine is great but in others i think otherwise.

About 8 years ago while in high school I volunteered at a local agricultural field day where they basically market sheep dipping chemicals, different strains of wheat, tractors, etc. Anyway our "job" was to go around and offer help to the stallholders and, lets be honest, get a few days off school

The story begins where I went to a food van which was a family run strawberry stand. They sold their farm grown strawberries as topping for sundaes, strawberry shortcakes, mousse, pancakes etc. (as in fast food). I offered to help them and they set me to work hulling strawberries.

I was hulling strawberries at the back of the van in a tent and the family patriarch (the father of the couple running the van) was hulling strawberries also. He told me a very interesting story.

I mentioned that I was interested in natural therapies (this came from discussing some star sign i'd read about helping people - which had sort of come true) and he told me the story of his son in law who'd been diagnosed with cancer.

The son in law underwent chemo and it didn't work for him. he was despondent (obviously) and the family started researching alternative therapies such as guided meditation, change in diet, etc.

the son in law changed his lifestyle and started meditation and eating special foods (as in, foods he wouldnt normally eat, like only eating raw, organic vegetables and occasionally free range meats, alot of herbal remedies) and within months he was in remission.

I don't know how to explain it or if i believe it was the non-chemical approach but I just thought i'd put it out there.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
i would be here (im very healthy i barely get any disease) but im sure i would be those kids that have diabetes and heart diseases ! my mother has diabetes and i was submitted to some treatment right after i was born to prevent the chances of having diabetes or heart diseases!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Does infant formula count? If so then I probably wouldn't be here, seeing as my mom came down with a really bad case of pneumonia when I was a few months old and was unable to breast feed me for a while.

Assuming that Chemotherapy and Radiation are the best ways to treat cancer, then I certainly wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the two of them. I was diagnosed with Hodgekin's Lymphoma when I was 14, and underwent 6 months of Chemotherapy and a month of Radiation. It worked for me the first time (thankfully), but it wouldn't have worked near as well without the Red and White blood cell shots that I had to take with them (the Chemotherapy would have killed me if I didn't have these shots).

Also, I have a heart condition called Supraventricular Tachycardia. Basically, my heart will randomly start beating really fast, but after anywhere from a minute to 10 minutes, it'll return to normal. As of right now, I'm ok, but in a few years it will reach a point where it can kill me, at that point I will have to have surgery.

I've had a pretty bad case of Strep Throat for the past few days. It was really weird how it came over me literally over night. I don't think it would have killed me, but the meds (which is basic penicillin) have done wonders for me.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

No, I wouldn't be here because I caught pneumonia some years ago.

I've always been very attached to the 'means' of modern medicine. My father is a Cardiologist and he has saved many lives
. So I know plenty of people that wouldn't be here as well.

However I'm very aware of the manipulation of the corporations and increasingly depersonalization of the medical-health care system.

I've heard so many stories about terrible mistakes (whom some of them had been covered up because of the institution these 'professionals' represent). It's very sad.

So, I believe traditional medicine should be complemented with alternative healing techniques and remedies. But it's very hard to "change" the mind of doctors who had been indoctrinated for so many years. They are usually close-minded to other means of healing the body (but of course, there are always exceptions ot the rule). I've yet to meet one.

[edit on 12/6/09 by plutoxgirl]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I would've been gone a long time ago. Too many cases of pneumonia and other infections requiring antibiotics.

And then there was the time I almost bled to death. Even bordering on death, I demanded to know what procedure they would use. I then asked if they could save me. I was told it was 50/50. I then told them I had little tolerance for bs, hate statistics, and needed the truth - "Can YOU save me?!"
I was told that he thought he could. I said continue on, but you will be doing it this way...and you will also do a good job!

They did it my way, I'm still here (so far), and the doc and I are now good friends. Yes, they did a very good job, too!
My only issue was that they pretty much forced the pain medication on me afterwards. I wanted no part of it, but they wouldn't allow me to eat, drink, or move until I obeyed. When I went home 2 weeks later, I filled the prescription and tossed it. Didn't need it. Never did.

I, too, have seen the dark side of medicine as well. People need to be more proactive in their care. Mistakes are made. I've lost a lot of people I care about it. I've been there to speak up when others couldn't or didn't want to see that something was amiss. It happens a lot. Don't be afraid to speak up.

I've also avoided several unecessary surgeries because I knew my body well enough to know what was really wrong.

Medicine is sometimes necessary.
Many times it is not.
Ask questions. Research your condition. TALK to your provider!

Unfortunately for all, money plays a big part in everything these days. There is big money to be made in performing certain surgeries and prescribing certain drugs. It shouldn't be that way.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Nope - was in a car accident when I was 16. I definately would've died from my injuries had it not been for modern medicine. On the other hand, it WAS a car accident. Had I been in a horse and carriage accident, it would've been a different story...

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
No, I wouldn't be here.
I have thought of this many times actually.

I was born with a spinal cord defect, a mild case but in order to not be crippled I needed a series of 3 spinal cord releases and some other work done, if it weren't for that I'd be in a wheelchair right now, or possibly dead.
I am so very lucky because most people born with what I have at that time and some still now didn't/don't have the option of surgery as there is simply just too much damage.

But the biggies that would have done me in 100% are the infections that followed reconstructive surgery of the bones in my leg.
I got cellulitis that turned into pseudomonas,then turned into osteomyelitis if it weren't for those "evil" medications people want to rant and rave about I wouldn't be here, there simply isn't any other way to get rid of such severe infections other than amputation if it's early enough and anyone who says other wise is clueless.
A few years ago they wouldn't waste their time on any wound the had even the tiniest bit of bone exposure.
I tried it all because being on a course of IV antibiotics for 5 months is not fun, but in the end was worth it, and I tried EVERYTHING but when it came down to it, nothing lowered my white blood cell count and nothing attacked the infection like the antibiotics.

Then when the wound was healed, this happened to me twice and both times I was shown/ the amazing capabilities of the medical world.

So the first time after they cleared the infection they completely slooped off a quarter of my foot everything was exposed entire ankle bone surrface to the big toe along with tissue&muscle all the goodies and the wound wouldn't heal because of all the damage done from the 50 some surgeries so they put me on something called a "Wound Vac" it is a vaccum like device that has an negative pressure system and pulls away the bad drainage while encouraging granulation of the new skin cells, what they do is pack the wound with a sponge the sponge is connected to a plastic tube after that's all done they seal it completely with a tape covering.
It worked, and worked great I would have had my leg amputated or had such severe reoccurring infections and eventually would have grown resistant to anti biotics which was already happening and would have died if this little machine wasn't created, which the idea I believe was from the medical use of maggots (they wanted to do this, but I've seen how that treatment can go wrong , lets say it's not so pretty).

Then the 2nd time I got another wound from surgery so I was left with another wound from another severe bone infection that those oh so evil antibiotics saved me from but this time it was more tricky even though it was a smaller area the blood flow to that area was not as great as the other wound and with the bone being exposed it was either chop it off, die from infection after becoming resistant to anti biotics, I didn't like those options so I found my own I found a micro vascular plastic surgeon who had this new procedure he had been doing for sometime but never done on this tricky location on my foot (right at the bone about 3 inches from the little toe) but he did it anyway and it worked it's called a full thickness muscle graft but different from the standard more common one, so what they did was go into the thigh, take out muscles and veins and nerves they than take those and cut an area out around the wound exposing the ends of the same nerve, same vein connect them and than stitch the muscle and than do a split thickness skin graft that they just take a thin layer of skin thinner than wet tissue paper and put it over the muscle, they all grow into one another ad heal on the outside but at first it is huge like someone put a softball under the skin but after time since the muscle isn't being used it causes it to atrophy and the mass of it goes down in it was a 25 hour surgery pretty intense but got the job done.

All these things could have killed me.
I just really hope for those who have it much worse than I do/did can one day have their health needs met by the medical community, the spinal defect I was born with is now fixable while in the womb and also it has been found that folic acid is a key factor and can keep these things from happening, again the wonders of the medical world, which honestly doesn't get enough credit.
My heart goes out to those who have to wait for the medical world to catch up to their illness, I am so grateful for my life and try to give back as much as I can to others who are in worse of situations than I could ever be in.
If it wasn't for the medical world, doctors, the medications so many people love to hate these tiny bumps in the road of my life could have been much more severe if not deadly.

People who want to do nothing but attack the medical world I feel are just lack an understanding maybe they were lucky enough to never need the meds they hate so much, or maybe they'd/their children die before taking t
Not everyone is evil, not everyone is out to get you, not everything is a part of a master plan to get you.
If things don't move fast enough in the medical world for you, become apart of it, take action do something productive about it.
I know from personal experience that not every doctor is "evil" some may even have the same opinions as people on here most of them are doing the best they can with the time resources and money they have.
I grew up in hospital rooms instead of classrooms and I am thankful for that as I have some of the best role models and have become close friends with many of the doctors and nurses I've had over the years and I feel for them when I see what a thankless job they can have at times.

Sorry that this is so long, I just have strong feelings about this and feel the medical world gets way too much crap thrown on it, it's something that has deeply impacted my life in the most positive way.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I've had a number of things you could class as 'elective' surgery like hernia, a complicated fracture that would have resulted in an unusable arm without state of the art orthopedic surgery, microsurgery to re-attach a severed finger etc etc IE I would have survived those things but life would be miserable or at least way less enjoyable.

Two more life-threatening problems (malignant melanoma and influenza induced pneumonia) would definitely have taken me out in the last ten years without modern medicine but thanks to the right treatment at the right time, I'm going for the standard 3 score and 10 or better now

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Both my middle son and I would have died in childbirth at 26 years of age without a c section. That would have meant that my third and youngest son would have never existed.

My husband would be dead by now without a heart valve replacement he got several years ago.

My husband had Rheumatic fever when he was 9 and they figure that is what possibly affected his aeorta heart valve.

I also had cellulitis in my left leg and had to be on antibotics. Cellulitis is very painful and if it weren't for the drugs I would have lost my left leg below the knee.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Danna

Oh yesterday my sister told me the true story :S if it weren't for modern medicine I wouldn't be here....
I was born with too much blood making pressure in my brain and the blood was thick they had to make an intervention right away or else I would die.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 17-6-2010 by Danna]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I think modern medicine makes us sicker in some ways, and it starts at birth. It makes us dependent on the system without ever having a chance to live naturally. Remember also that along with modern medicine comes modern pollution; I'd say 90% of cancer or more is avoidable if people ate *real* food that is unprocessed, exercised just to a moderate degree, and avoided other environmental chemicals. In all seriousness, most chronic illnesses are gotten because people either knowingly or unknowingly choose them by the lives they live. People are lazy.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by ghaleon12]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join