It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean Gulags - TRUE reflection of its leaders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Hi there,

so all over the news it is. 2 American journalists have been sentenced to 12 years hard labour in North Korea.

I thought I would do a bit of research to try and get even the smallest insight as to what awaits these two.

North Korea Hard Labor camps are called "GULAGS".

The name "gulag" is a russian acronym -

The Gulag was the government agency that administered the penal labour camps of the Soviet Union. Gulag is the Russian acronym for The Chief Administration of Corrective Labor Camps and Colonies

Although Gulag originally was the name of a government agency, the acronym acquired the qualities of a noun, denoting: the Soviet system of prison-based, unfree labor — including specific labor, punishment, criminal, political, and transit camps for men, women, and children

SOURCE - en.wikipedia.org...

The name is now used to describe most type of these camps regardless of what country they are in.

In North Korea alone, the government operate around 30 Gulags in remote regions of the country. Remoteness, helping keep them secret of course from the eyes of the outside world.

The size of these camps and the numbers they hold is frightening by itself -

At least two of the camps, Haengyong and Huaong, are larger in area than the District of Columbia, with Huaong being three times the size of the U.S. capital district

Not only is the size frightnening but imagine sharing your prison with around 50,000 other people!!!

At one camp, Camp 22 in Haengyong, 50,000 prisoners toil each day in conditions that U.S. officials and former prisoners say result in the death of 20 percent to 25 percent of the prison population every year

So what are these places actually like?

Well the camps are what you can imagine...............NO actually they ARE way way worse than any of us can imagine.

My great uncle was tortured at a Japanese camp during WW2. I bet he can imagine, but most of us ... no.

for a start, age is no barrier, people as young as 9 yrs old are in these places!

Entire families, including grandchildren, are incarcerated for even the most bland political statements

Forced abortions are carried out on pregnant women so that another generation of political dissidents will be “eradicated

Inmates are used as human guinea pigs for testing biological and chemical agents, according to former prisoners and U.S. officials

even more horrifying than that.....

[The women] were forced to abort their children. They put salty water into the pregnant women’s womb with a large syringe, in order to kill the baby even when the woman was eight months or nine months pregnant

SOURCE- archive.newsmax.com...

Newborn babies are beaten to death. And sons and daughters are publicly executed in front of their mothers

even these words to me are pretty frightening. its a grim country which gives no hope to any of its people, young,old, man, woman,

I think if more people knew of these acts they would themselves cry out for change here.

If one were to have the opportunity to speak with a survivor of a North Korean gulag, what they would reveal might be well beyond the threshold of the listener's imagination

imagine listening to a survivor of one of these places. I remember my great uncle would never mention the Japanese camp they kept him in. He held a lifelong hatred towards those people til the day he died.

SOURCE -

www.signonsandiego.com...#

at these Gulags people are usually put to work as soon as they arrive, digging, building, lifting while being starved and exposed to the elments...

On arrival at the camp, the victim is issued a pick and shovel, simple cooking utensils and a used army blanket

We were put to work digging clay and constructing a building

it doesnt take long before the people are weak and resort to barbarbic forms of eating to stay alive ....

Prisoners are provided just enough food to be kept perpetually on the verge of starvation

They are compelled by their hunger to eat, if they can get away with it, the food of the labor-camp farm animals, as well as plants, grasses, bark, rats, snakes

Not surprisingly, the prisoners are quickly reduced to walking skeletons after their arrival

cant find any mcdonalds or kfc here.....

Rat tastes strange and somehow unpleasant at first. The revolting taste, however, soon disappears

SOURCE -

www.signonsandiego.com...#

i think these quotes are pretty harrowing themselves. I cant believe in this day and age, after the lessons of 2 world wars, that there are countries still resorting to this kind of regime towards its people.

it is unimaginable, it makes one speechless at the wickedness of the countries leaders.

I for one, have no sympathy for a regime that has this kind of system in place. It is completely inhumane and should never be tolerated ever.

I really hope for these 2 women that the US can negotiate to have them released.

North Korea itself at this point is like one giant gulag where all the population short of Kim and his inner circle are subject to various kinds of atrocities and torture from their beginnings to their tragic ends

i know this is not exactly enjoyable reading but hopefully it will open some eyes to the real leadership in place in North Korea today as we speak.

for those of you who are more interest in this topic - here is a great link to a document with maps etc -

www.hrnk.org...

G.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
That is one reason they are part
of the axis of evil.

Anybody who defends the NK regime has got to be absolutely a knuckle head. Things have gotten so bad i NK that there has been canabalism during winters in the past. All the while the regime if fat and happy.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
hopefully when Kimmy finally kicks the bucket there will be at least a glimmer of hope for the people of north korea.

hopefully this will not be too far in the future!

join