It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facing budget crisis, Schwarzenegger cuts California contracts, textbooks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Facing budget crisis, Schwarzenegger cuts California contracts, textbooks

rawstory.com

The Golden State isn’t so golden right now.

Facing a budget shortfall of some $24.3 billion, California’s political class is digging deep to close it. The latest round of cuts, announced Monday by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, are projected to save $1.3 billion, but sacrifice all vendor contracts signed by state agencies since March 1.

The sweeping measure leaves exempt any ongoing application of bond or stimulus funds, but applies across the board to everything else, including school books, which will be replaced next school-year with digital texts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This is only the beginning of cuts in California . One can only guess at what this will mean to kids in the school system right now and how it will effect them .

The article goes on to say ...

"“I am committed to ensuring California lives within its means and runs as efficiently as possible,” Schwarzenegger said in a statement published by Bloomberg. “With today’s action, every state agency and department will scrutinize how every penny is spent on contracts to make sure the state is getting the best deal for every taxpayer dollar.”

I wonder just how deep the cuts will go and just how much people in Cal. are willing to take .

God help them if there is some type of natural disaster , they will have enough trouble dealing with and paying for the yearly forest fires they are pledged with each summer .

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Well..... I wonder how much money they would save if they started charging illegals UPFRONT for every baby delivery or ER vist?

Im just taking a wild guess but Im sure it would be in the billions.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
So sad. We've got some breathtaking State Parks here on the Central Cali coast. In fact, most of the raw land in my area is State Park land. From the beaches deep into the Redwood forests to some pristine waterfalls. It's where a lot of us spend our leisure time.

They are on the hit list, too. Folks are protesting right and left. I can't believe we let it get this bad. And we've got the early release of the prisoners to have fun with, to boot.

California is beautiful, I shudder to imagine what the state of the state will be in 5 years.

edit to comment on the natural disaster post, we are so due for an earthquake ... and yep, fire season, too! Anyone wanna adopt a California runaway?

[edit on 8-6-2009 by blujay]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by blujay

Thats the real question isn't it ?

Everything you have pointed out is so true and its truly sad at what is taking place before our eyes .

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Ironic. They will let prisoners go, cut teachers, cut police, raise taxes. . . .

But not ONE superintendant, local pol, state pol, government worker is going to lose thier job or even get a cut in their medical benefits.

Did I say ironic?

I meant disgusting.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Here is a link and a clip to another story regarding Cal.'s financial trouble .

www.cnn.com...

" (CNN) -- California lawmakers were told to bring their toothbrushes and prepare for a long day Tuesday, with the goal of passing a budget as the state faces a $42 billion deficit and 20,000 layoff notices were set to go out to state workers Tuesday."Bring a toothbrush, bring any necessities you want to bring, because I will not allow anyone to go home to resume their lives ... as long as we know ... that 20,000 people will be laid off," Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento, told lawmakers late Monday.

Lawmakers had missed a Monday night deadline to reach a budget deal, prompting Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's move on the layoff notices, Schwarzenegger spokesman Aaron McLear told CNN late Monday.

The Republican governor, who declared a fiscal emergency in December, has butted heads for months with the Democratic majority over alleviating the state's $11.2 billion revenue shortfall this fiscal year alone. The cuts would save California $750 million for the year. The state's $42 "

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
You know Arnold is lucky that BC doesn't cut the power grid on them. They owe us Canadians SO much money for power and other utilities it's ridiculous.

Too bad washington pays the bills, it's the only reason they still have power in California.

As far as the cuts go, really what do you expect him to do. I am sure he could find better things to cut, such as government employee pay or some construction projects that are what they call "pork barrell".

Ohh well I expect them to go belly up soon enough.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I will say....i have been thinking for some time that switching to digital texts. Saves money, saves trees. Win win. They already have several schools in arizona that forego textbooks, and just have a wireless school network where students can download needed worksheets and study forms. Just makes sense to me. Not to mention not having to cart around a 60 lb bag of books.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

You're absolutely right. But in southern California, apparently they have this instead of a wall.

And guess who eventually ends up stuck with the bill for those crossing over illegally - U.S. taxpayers. Way to go California liberals. Your political correctness has royally screwed your state up for good.

new topics

top topics

join