It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese want US bonds issued in yuan rather than dollars

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
This is pretty significant. Asking countries to repay their debt in currencies other than their own is a manoeuvre more usually applied to third-world nations than the US. In fact, as far as I know, all US debt is US-dollar-denominated. If this changes that will be big, massive in fact, because it means that even running the printing presses at full tilt the US could find itself in a situation where debt becomes unpayable. This would result in formal debt default (as opposed to informal default through inflation), a prospect the US has never faced in history.

Guo Shuqing, the chairman of state-controlled China Construction Bank (CCB), also said he is exploring the possibility of issuing loans to trading companies in yuan, allowing Chinese and foreign companies to settle their bills in yuan rather than in dollars.

Mr Guo said the issuing of yuan bonds in Hong Kong and Shanghai would help to develop the debt markets in China and promote the yuan as a major international currency.

It was the first time the head of a major Chinese bank has called for the wider use of the yuan, although a chorus of senior government officials have already voiced their concerns about the stability of the dollar and have said the yuan should be used more widely.

More at source:
www.telegraph.co.uk...

[edit on 6/8/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Why flag and not comment?

Anyways, yes, this is huge. But from a moral standpoint, I can't see how the American people wouldn't want it to be this way. I feel uneasy when I think about what the rest of the world will think of America if they are repaid with monopoly money. Not to mention the lack of trust they would leave in the American people and its government. Very interesting situation.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
If the US .gov agrees to this then I have only one piece of advice

Buy more guns & ammo

The Ticker Guy talks about this today

He says it better than I can

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

I've been harping on this crap for so long. I just shut up about it. I just read KDs thoughts on the matter, it is amazing how close he and I are in opinion. Things are going to get ugly. I've already warned everyone who will listen.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by redhatty

I've been harping on this crap for so long. I just shut up about it. I just read KDs thoughts on the matter, it is amazing how close he and I are in opinion. Things are going to get ugly. I've already warned everyone who will listen.

There are a lot more people expecting this than you think. The trick of course is timing. "Being early is the same as being wrong," as the man said. But those who have prepared well will make it through the dark valley, I am sure.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I think its a clear sign that China believe themselves to be more influential /important than the US, hence they want the funds in their own currency.

Whether or not this is true however, we'll have to wait and see.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Good for China.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I guess this is what happens when you devalue your dollar by creating them out of thin air, spread your toxic pieces of worthless paper, claiming they have value, and well.....just spending wildly when you know that you are pretty much broke! I don't blame china!!
but, well, if china did this, they wouldn't they have let the currency lose, to rise in value. they haven't wanted to do this, since it gives them a pretty big perk when it comes to bringing industry (and job) into their country.

every thing has a silver lining to it, and that is this ones....
we ain't gonna get ourselves out of this rut as a "service economy", we need our production back, and well, if it get's more costly to ship the production overseas, maybe these jobs will come back here?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
This is a big event.. *if* they follow through with it.China has made quite a few statements regarding the yuans status and the dollar in the past 6 months or so.No doubt a little pressure from America may make them drop it...not versed in finance though so i dont know how good China's hand is against America.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
The article says that they want future debt and loan services handled in the yuan. They probably can't affect the bonds that they already have. Good for China to get its yuan out in the world, but its no match for the dollar. Even if the value of the dollar declines, the U.S's influence in the world will keep people using the dollar. Not star/flag worthy.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by Xndercide]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
This is coming on the hills of the treasury still needing 1.3trillion for obamas growth plan. I agree with the statement above this is what powerful countries have done to 3rd world nations to destroy there economy and to make there economy subservient to them.

I think what will happen is that the U.S. will do it, then after they get the cash, go to war with china. They will then clear the debt during war, stating that because of the war status, no debt obligations will be fullfilled and declared null and void. This will allow us to to wipe the books clean with them. All future debt after that still be done in the dollar. Additionally us going to war would serve as an example to the arab states as well as europe and russia. The only caviat is if all the countries, all at once started to demand this.

If that happened, then we would be forced instead of war, into bankruptcy. That is a scary situation, not only for us, but for the world as a whole.

just my opinion, but I don't see the u.s. accepting this, and I don't see countries like Japan, and Suadi Arabia accepting it. This would wipe them out financially.

Cheers,

Camain

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Certainly not a surprise and if we did not live in a global (now) community where countries have varying degress of (financial) connections the dollar would have already crashed. It is basically worthless now and their is to much debt (in dollars) that will never be paid. I believe this country is already selling chunks of realistate in exchange for liquidation of what it owes. We are moving to a NWO, good or bad its going to happen. The USA has lost and the sheeples (zombies) will wake up one day soon (maybe?) to realize their American dream has become a nightmare movie and they are the star. Should be interesting over the next few months, assuming their will be a "next few months".

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by camain

Actually Camain, Japan has already talked about wanting to see the US issue bonds denominated in Yen. It wasn't that long ago, either.

The US in the past I believe, actually issued bonds denominated in foreign currencies. I believe there was some bond issue during the Carter administration that was denominated in foreign currency.

Anyway, given the current global economy authorizing US debt to be denominated in non-dollar currencies would be tantamount to treason IMHO. It would be simple for China to demand Yuan denominated bonds then strengthen the Yuan against the dollar. Then BOOM! instant economic devastation.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Time to invade Iran and cut off Chinas oil supply.

Get the missiles in the air. Let's get WWIII started.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
i agree that it would be the perfect time for china to stop manipulating their currency and start letting the yuan go to its real value the china have all the money! ehhhh Just say no to drugs kids

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
10 year bonds have almost quadrupled as the US can not sell them - the reality is that this will simply drive up interest rates and cause huge inflation - the US almost has no choice here.

The Chinese have shown that they are driving their own recovery while the US continues to melt down - meaning - they can live without the US and their pile of worthless notes.

The price of oil is goign through the roof in response to devalued dollar - best thing to do right now would be to push oil through the $300 dollar mark by starting a war - and thats what they will do.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Why should we issue it in Yuan? So we can issue it in their manipulated currency?

Of course they would want this. No way they get this though. Remember, those guys rely on us buying their crap too... I think this article is garbage IMO

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
Remember, those guys rely on us buying their crap too... I think this article is garbage IMO

Yeah! but you see my friend, I think there is something more to this!

There are now voices in China and the Asian markets that say they don't need the American consumers for the future.

Intellectuals & the powers in China want to take all this money they are buying foreign bonds for, and invest them in China instead - to raise the standard of living inside of China.

By doing so! their own people and the growing Asian markets can be the new consumers of their products.

Of course! this is a process that will take some years, but I think we can see the signs of it already!

Anyway! this is only my opinion and my two €uro-cents!

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I would take the Euro over the yuan, personally.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Yeah, I think this is added to the disinformation list, along with the recent interview with the russian president with mario buttaromo.. that was a classic set up IMO of course..

and yes I would rather take euro over Yuan.. this just goes to show China is garbage in the first place, and I dont think for one second we couldnt find another way to spend the $$ we do w/o them if need be.

but i think this all falls under "BS"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join