It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Real Whopper: Black Hole Is Most Massive Known

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

PASADENA, CALIF. — The most massive black hole yet weighed lurks at the heart of the relatively nearby giant galaxy M87.

The supermassive black hole is two to three times heftier than previously thought, a new model showed, weighing in at a whopping 6.4 billion times the mass of the sun. The new measure suggests that other black holes in nearby large galaxies could also be much heftier than current measurements suggest, and it could help astronomers solve a longstanding puzzle about galaxy development.

"We did not expect it at all," said team member Karl Gebhardt of the University of Texas at Austin.

The discovery was announced here today at the 214th meeting of the American Astronomical Society.

LINK
news.yahoo.com...

I was wondering... they say black holes are 2-3 times bigger then they thought now. Also the scientist still aren't sure how black holes are formed. So i was looking at the picture that i linked and came up with an conclusion for everyone to think about. In the picture it shows galaxies with and without a black hole. Since we are in our own galaxy and the nearest black hole is or around the milky way. I think the black holes are created by people or "extraterrestrials" that made an error and messed up their whole galaxy trying to do some test like Cern LHC. I know out there that we are not the only entity that lives in space and share space with us. So pretty much what im trying saying is that i think Black holes are made by F@#*ups like Cern LHC. Swallow their planet and their whole galaxy. Sorry i know this might not be true but i was bored at work and i just wanted to share my thoughts with everyone.

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Jun 8 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Well, LHC is just sounding more and more "awesome."

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrfire9
I think the black holes are created by people or "extraterrestrials" that made an error and messed up their whole galaxy trying to do some test like Cern LHC.

I have a similar outlook. when I "Look" at a back hole I can see a possible stopping of time. It might be that a Black hole is evidence of a civilization that has either cracked time control or teleportation.

some of the loudest things detectable to in the known universe are radio sources emanating from the center of the black holes.

I still think they are missing some fundamental points with the LHC. and pointing concentrated laser beams at Quark-gluon Plasma seems like a pretty big gamble, Especially when CERN's LHC website states specifically on the first page that the scientists have relatively NO CLUE about the consequences of such collisions.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23pointing concentrated laser beams at Quark-gluon Plasma seems like a pretty big gamble, Especially when CERN's LHC website states specifically on the first page that the scientists have relatively NO CLUE about the consequences of such collisions.

except for the fact that they happen thousands of times a day in the upper atmosphere of the Earth.

second line.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by careface

All im saying is consider the Exponential amount of energy they are applying at CERN, added to a similarly "stacked" lasers used in the sub experiment vectors; which are seemingly participating in the quantum equivalent of a carnival fair 2 dollar rifle contest.

The upper ionosphere is a poorly understood region at best. the forces of gravity and magnetism remain untapped to their full potential, but non the less, you have spurred my thirst for a search for more knowledge on the subject so cheers!

[edit on 10-6-2009 by drsmooth23]

new topics

top topics

join