It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magic vs. magik vs. magick: Is there any difference?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I was just wondering why all the different spellings. Do they mean different things? I am ignorant about all things in this area, so I find it a bit confusing.

While I'm in this general area, can anyone explain to me what the difference between "faerie" and "fairy" is? I don't know much about this area, either.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 04:28 AM
link   
No ... all are words used to describe the same things. The difference is merely an attempt to aspire to respectablilty and inflate the egos of people as ones holding "secret knowledge". But in the end no matter what words are used they only serve to disguise the fact that its all bunk.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Seems reasonable that they mean the same thing. Any magic believers want to respond?

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   
magic is what people belive as illusions, shile magik and magick are the true forms of magick

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 05:20 AM
link   
majick is a very dangerous magic and can only be mastered by draa monks

magic is based on the metaphysical belief

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Ok, it makes sense that a nonbeliever would equate all the terms. But at least some believers make some distinctions. I have a few questions.

1. Is "magik" and "magick" the same, then?
2. What is a draa monk?
3. Who originated the different spellings?

Also, Killer5 and Sapphire seem to have different meanings for "magic". Are your definitions personal definitions? Perfectly valid, we all have a personal dialect. Or are they part of some tradition you follow? If they are part of a tradition, could you tell me more about it?

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Well, I don't know about their specific definitions, but I do know that when most people spell magic differently, it's just an attempt to seperate the fake hollywood # form what is real...
Often, though, I find those who use it for that purpose STILL can't seperate what's fake fromwhat's real--them being the "movie-related" wiccans, who believe everything done in the movies can be done for real, exactly the way it was portrayed in the movie. Most things are not that simple, and some, as far as I know, are unDOable...

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 07:06 AM
link   
faerie--a sidhe ("people of the (fairy) hills")
fairy--a sidhe ("people of the (fairy) hills"); slang for effeminate males who may be gay

To MAKE sure that people KNOW when someone talks about faeries and NOT gay men dressed in gossamar wings, peole WILL use an alternate spelling.

Rappers Delignt: "Now he's a fairy, I do suppose, flying through the air panty hose" A reference to superman, and his tight suit making him look "as queer as folk," more specifically, GAY.
"as queer as folk" is also used for Faeries

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
tomatoe, tomato, cucumber... it's all gravy

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
The only difference is that one is a real word. It's just a way for the disenfranchised to feel special when they where their pointy hats. That wicca stuff has only been around for about 50 years, despite the 'thousands' of years the wiccans say. If your starting a new movement, you're going to need your own lingo to make it sound cool, to make people want to join. Reminds me of the people who spell it 'vampyres'. Now they my friend, are losers.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Magic -> Stage magic. pulling rabbits outta hats, flowers from seemingly nowhere...

Magick->Ritual magick. Ranges from a simple prayer
to as complex as observing multiple characteristics
of the given day, the caster involved, the target involved, all astrological calculations lookuped up
in an Ephermimus, which is double checked by going
outside and observing the stars physically, noting the
rotational and vector difference from the pure north
horizon and then the pure east horizon (setting up
a physical comparison to X and Y axis's), then after
taking down the apporapriate data and calculations,
then looking up all necessary correspondances of the
involved elements so as to learn what components
(physical objects other than ritual tools) will be needed
to be consecrated, and then finally apply those forces
the element or elements relavent acording to previous work, in their most convientent or necessary form.
in other words, don't use a bonfire when a simple
cig lighter would do.
To conclude:Magick is only what the working Mage see it as. I am quite sure, for instance, Aboriginal magick
is (methodically speaking) quite different from Native American, as Hermetic Alchemy is quite different from
Japanese Shinto.

Just for fun!
www.luckymojo.com...

[Edited on 2-5-2004 by Crysstaafur]

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
...attempt to aspire to respectablilty and inflate the egos of people as ones holding "secret knowledge". But in the end no matter what words are used they only serve to disguise the fact that its all bunk.

Are we talking Houdini and Harry Blackstone being debunked here...
or mystery schools being debunked?

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
He's the one that started writing magic with a 'k'.

Is there a difference with the spellings?

No.

new topics

top topics

join