It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panel to consider immigrants' effect on economy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Panel to consider immigrants' effect on economy

www.chicagotribune.com

With the national unemployment rate at a 25-year high, an almost unavoidable set of questions has become a focus of both sides in the nation's Immigration debate as the Obama administration plans to convene a bipartisan summit on the issue Monday.

Are the estimated 11.6 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. taking jobs from Americans? And how would providing them with lawful status help or hurt the nation's struggling economy?
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Nice to see that at least this is being discussed, but i wonder if it is just lip service, as it does not take a rocket scientist to see that there is at least some effect to the job market, especially in the southwest...here in az we have a growing unemployment rate but there seems to be little headway in doing any thing that will benefit the people of az.

www.chicagotribune.com

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
shouldn't the word illegal be in the headline title?

anyhow, any investiagion how military overspending, funding israeli's army, funding foreign nuclear projects only to attack that country later, or propping up govts., or bailouts affect the economy?

Or are we just going to attack the minority who illegaly jumped a fence to live in a country acquired through theft and murder?

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The truth is..they willw ork for mmuch less moneya dn do very hard work..buisnesses like that, im sure INS records have very good documentaiton of this, from raids all across america. And the buisnesses only punishemnt? a few thousand dollars in fiens, while actual citiziens struggling, especially now, to make ends meet, are laid off, fired, let go,a nd replaced wtih soemoe who could care less about this country and its poeple. Its all abuot the money..ive been in retail business for 19 years...food stroe and pharmacy, and sometimes thats the reason.they hire illgal immigrants, who try to get married to gain resdinecy, take a ride on the ssytem at taaxpayers expense, to better thier life. Immaignie if id di that in any other country around the world? IDe be doeprted or arrested.. America is the great melting pot, that i understand made up of immigrants. It just seems the ssytem here wnats to get rid of high paying jobs, and implement a 3rd world country type working class that does as obeyed and told.all in the name of profit and business. Thatts my conclusion.
For them to want to study the ffects of illgal immigrants on society? thier up to no good, thats for sure. Instead of allerting INS, they wanna sit abck and study it...clearly thiers interests for them that are not for us...

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

To the victor goes the Spoils and whether you like it or not American Ancestors won the war. Now hopping the fence is illegal and a crime, but since you want to point out the countries "Flaws" how about this.

Maybe we should look into the billons of dollars spent on feeding poor African nations. We need to investigate why we keep sending food and money to those pesky Latin's as the sneak back into he country. Or how about the inept ability of our own Citizens unable to get off there arse and find a job and pay for there own food. We should investigate SSN, Medicare, Medicaid, Food Stamps, HUD housing, CHIP, and all the other Social programs in the nation it must stop immediately.

See the country isn't that bad; Stop buying into the America is wrong crowd if you don't like my country leave my country it.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I kinda do agree with you on that, stop sending mony to other countrys, i mean what abous US? Just goes to show what the FED thinks about us.I will admitt..ive seen those commercials with some young mother in latin america, in a poor section, holding her malnourished kids in her arms..it is sad to see, and i do get sympathetic wwhen seeing that. See, thats the problem right thier...its what they show you, play on your emotions and sympathys to send money, and god only really kows where yuor money REALLY goes if yuor dumb enough ot send it them. SHe could have a coc aine factory for all we know! she dosnt need the money..its kinda like the jimmy baker thing back in the 1980's and his church thing..god needs yuor moeny! send cash and checks blah blah.
And then the welfare thing...everyone knows it was common, VERY indeed, for welfare recipieants..a mother, would give birth every year or 2 jsut to keep the money rolling in. ALL that money could have been financed into the economy to i dunno..call me a crazy thinker and vision seer... JOBS? better neighborhoods and food for all? call me crazy..and would have forced her 17 year old son to stop seeling drugs and get a job at least!
My mom was born in Austria, came to america around 1952..she was 5 then. Went to Ellis island, reigstered and became an immediate citizen..but at least she did it how yuor suposed too! not sneak in and sccrew the countrys citizens out of thier money and hoping to step on them to get ahead. plus she didnt bring gang violence with ehr, something that was never really dealt with. Well, at least unless the CIA lloked in that direction and started recruiting members to smuggle and launder drugs and money..so when it all fell down during and investigation, it was the gang member that took the fall, not the CIA>

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
Maybe we should look into the billons of dollars spent on feeding poor African nations.

Percentage wise the United States is the country in the OECD that devotes less public money to development aid.

Only five countries (Denmark, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden) have met the United Nations’ target of providing 0.7 percent of their gross national income in aid to poor countries. The United States has never spent more than one quarter of one percent of its national income on foreign aid, and two thirds of that has been devoted to just two countries: Israel and Egypt.

www.rgemonitor.com...

Interesting eh?

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

He can't leave cuz he's in French Canada. But he sure is very good at pointing out how bad we are. He seems to do that a lot. Our country is fine as long as its the US paying the bills or giving our tax money to people that other countries think we should be supporting while they sit back and do NOTHING! They love to invest when they can make money off of our stock market or money market but let something happen in the world and the first thing out of their mouths is 'The US is rich, let them pay for it'!!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Are the estimated 11.6 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. taking jobs from Americans? And how would providing them with lawful status help or hurt the nation's struggling economy?

Lawful status???? Why even consider rewarding these criminals. ?? What we need to do is take away their benefits. America is crazy to give these criminals welfare and free schooling and free ER care.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

And that means what? Did you bother to look up the rest must likely not. And who exactly is is the website? Find credible numbers. The American people and There goverment spend lots of money on the rest of the world. Are you serious?

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Ive alwasy ahd a gut feeling ever since i tok notice to those commercials, organizations that snd yuor moeny overseas..really how do you know where your moenya nd food is going? Everything here, in captialism has ben proved and shwon its not for us or its a ponzi sheme...i have nothing in return, other than a picutre and a letter saying oh, your sponsored child got his money and food. Menawhile, im totaly betting people at the organizations are skiming food and money off for their own use. Really, it jsut seems a ways of sending money to someone else, whos on salary, so they can save more at yuor expense. Yuor paying for theri food and water!
if its that bad in those contrys, maybe the poeple should rise up and overthrow the governemnt then, and establish thigns how they want...rahter than suffer and starve.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

What a joke. -) Thanks for pointing that out.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

And that means what? Did you bother to look up the rest must likely not. And who exactly is is the website? Find credible numbers. The American people and There goverment spend lots of money on the rest of the world. Are you serious?

Oh i'm very serious!
Use google, it's your friend.
Find some credible sources and refute me.

I'm very aware of foreign aid my friend, i very much keep myself up to date on it.
I'm not saying USAID doesn't help at all, it does a bit, for both food items and agriculture.
But also many times that money goes to dictators so they stay puppets.

Also you mentioned africa, you said why send them food?
I agree, why send them food?
Send them the tools to make food instead
Majority of the money used to fund giving food to Africa goes into shipping costs and african stay hungry waiting for the food. Instead if less money was used to help farmers people will wait very very much less for food and it will help the local infrastructure.

In any case, I know people here will say i'm anti-american.
But I assure you i'm not.

I am not anti-any country and I am not pro-any country.
I am just pro-people, which often forces me to be somewhat anti-govt.
I hope you understand. And I think the history of my posts and threads prove this as well.

I know for a fact many people understand me based on online convos I've had with them and I also know people like you do not agree with me or even believe me when I say that.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
Our country is fine as long as its the US paying the bills or giving our tax money to people that other countries think we should be supporting while they sit back and do NOTHING!

Your country is not fine, it's being run by mobsters dude.
Legalized counterfeiting = The FED
Arms dealing, bailouts, corrupt stimulus packages, govt. owning corporations, etc...
Your country is fine? LOLLLLLL

Foreign nations are the last problem the citizens of the U.S. should worry about my friend.
They aren't the ones bankrupting your country my friend.

And read the article I posted, U.S. is far behind in foreign development aid.

You don't want to know where your tax money goes i'm sure.
It's going where citizens of foreign nations would never want it to go.

And i've read your posts before, I know that you know this already.

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
They love to invest when they can make money off of our stock market or money market but let something happen in the world and the first thing out of their mouths is 'The US is rich, let them pay for it'!!

Really?
Is that how it really is?
Because i'm not too sure.

Most american investors aren't even investing in America now, they are investing in China, Japan and Europe. So i'm not too sure of the double standard you speak of.

Secondly the United States is an oil-driven economy, your oil is very domestic my friend.
So there goes another double-standard.
You are dependant on foreign nations way more than they are dependant on you and it's imperative that you understand that.

You used to be a nation that was a creditor and you are massively in debt.
Let's not forget that.

In a complex set of transactions, Dubai is moving to acquire 19.9 percent of the Nasdaq in New York, placing the Arab government in an ownership position of the key U.S. stock exchange and raising concerns in Congress.
www.wnd.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Your right, I am pro America, I want to keep my guns, I don’t care what happens at The UN because I believe the U.N is a joke.

I don’t care what happens in the world because Americans have to repair there own house first before we take "Democracy" To the rest of the world. Although we reserve the right to crush another nations NUTS if they attempt to undermine our national security. We don’t need other nations screwing up what are government is very good at.

You say I should show you proof, Nope you are the one who made the claims the burden of proof lies with you. In your eyes America will be bad that’s fine that’s your right to believe that. But I wonder what you would say or do when the Russians, Chinese, or Islam walks through your door?

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by glevel

Nice to see that at least this is being discussed, but i wonder if it is just lip service, as it does not take a rocket scientist to see that there is at least some effect to the job market, especially in the southwest...here in az we have a growing unemployment rate but there seems to be little headway in doing any thing that will benefit the people of az.

www.chicagotribune.com

Wouldn't it be great if we legalized them all and could collect taxes?

I say the more taxpayers the better...

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Nope we kick there asses out of America and station the military on there borders to make sure they stay out.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
"Also you mentioned africa, you said why send them food?
I agree, why send them food?
Send them the tools to make food instead
Majority of the money used to fund giving food to Africa goes into shipping costs and african stay hungry waiting for the food. Instead if less money was used to help farmers people will wait very very much less for food and it will help the local infrastructure."

Alienstrangler's got a better idea. Let's send them pallets of condoms & all methods of birth control. Let's call a spade a spade guys.... no pun intended, but their culture involves rape.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by glevel

Well right now the jobless rates on the immigrant ranks are very high, But we will never know as they been illegal do not qualify for unemployment benefits, beside food and hospitality where most of the immigrant force concentrates I will say that they are not doing that good.

Look at California and their unemployment rates they have a big population of immigrants some of their rates are as high as 25% in some cities and that only included legal citizens.

The problem I see is if Obama universal health care becomes a reality I wonder how the government will deal with the illegal immigrants and most of their born American children when it comes to who is going to qualify or not. all at the expenses of tax payers.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

reply to post by HunkaHunka

Nope we kick there asses out of America and station the military on there borders to make sure they stay out.

Do you realize how much potential tax revenue you'd be flushing down the toilet?

I think the more tax payers we have the better! Spread the debt around ;-)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join