It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China second biggest arms spender in world: SIPRI

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

China second biggest arms spender in world: SIPRI

[url=http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/World/China-second-biggest-arms-spender-in-world-SIPRI/articleshow/4631953.cms]timesofindia.indiatimes.com[/ur l]

LONDON: China has emerged as world's second biggest weapons purchaser after the US as the global military spending touched a new high in 2008, in Afghanistan and Iraq and combat against terrorism.

China increased its arms spending by 10% to an estimated USD 83.9 billion last year as Beijing commenced building of new range of highly sophisticated nuclear submarines, stealth warships, new generation of fighter planes and weaponry to fight "Informationalized warfare", according to a leading Swedish peace research group.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Surprise surprise, this was well expected, by now most have you just realized the balance of power has been tilting and it down need some report verify it.

Although its common knowledge that they purchase and then replicate the various items and at some level of degree far exceed the original design. Considering the new wave of military hardware floating around the world market, from UV's to space weapons, i guess its a safe bet to start educating ourselves with the Chinese language.

[url=http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/World/China-second-biggest-arms-spender-in-world-SIPRI/articleshow/4631953.cms]timesofindia.indiatimes.com[/ur l]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
China cannot project power. They have Russia on one border, India on another, and the US in the Pacific RIM. They will very much be contained, to a degree. Despite their best efforts to expand in the Pacific to the Second Island Chain, despite their effort sin Africa and Latin America and their String of Pearls strategy for South East Asia and the Indian Ocean.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
China cannot project power. They have Russia on one border, India on another, and the US in the Pacific RIM. They will very much be contained, to a degree. Despite their best efforts to expand in the Pacific to the Second Island Chain, despite their effort sin Africa and Latin America and their String of Pearls strategy for South East Asia and the Indian Ocean.

It all depends what's on the table, as you mentioned, Russia has always been with one eye opened since they decided to invade Russia back in the second world war, which obviously they tried twice but were hammered back and ever since then have always been allies.

India, well thats a nation who has much resentment dating back to the colonial period. I would not place all my eggs into a single basket with them. Lets not forget her nuke test which although was announced to the U.S. and provided a date, they failed to keep the date and proceeded with their test nearly six months earlier and naturally we all learn't or should i say the world was told that India surprised the world with its nuke test.

As for Latin America, well that is only a matter of time, im sure we will hear about it soon enough. The rest are mere details on paper.

When you have such a concentration of resources at your disposal and as history has shown us, it is almost a certain it will try to regain its stake in the world scene. This nation has been grooming itself while the rest of the world was focussed on trivial issues.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Shouldn't we be more concerned with the LARGEST arms spender in the world??

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

I would say so yeah. But that is beating a dead horse. est budget 2009 of the US $515.4 Bil. 6 a 7 times as much as the number 2. And on the brink of failure, Makes a bad combination.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

Considering that just over 70% of all parts are imported, i would not beat my chest like Tarzan.

top topics

join