It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hezbollah loses June 7 election. The west breathes a sigh of relief.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
It was a very real possibility that the March 8 coalition, the political alliance that includes Hezbollah, would win a majority in Lebanons' parliamentary elections on June 7.

BEIRUT (Reuters) - An anti-Syrian coalition, known as "March 14," defeated the "March 8" alliance composed of Hezbollah and its allies in Lebanon's parliamentary election on Sunday, politicians on both sides said.

The March 14 Government now must continue to manage a state that has a massive public debt and regularly runs a massive deficit. It is believed the NON Hezbollah-led government will be better able to broaden welfare and economic programs and reduce taxes as their policies do not conflict so much with Islamic hardline policies. This is up for debate. Hezbollah are a very well run unit:

Hezbollah is a surprisingly efficient organization, despite the fact that it is many things at once. It is the dominant Shiite political party and a strong opposition voice inside and outside parliament. It also acts as an army: resisting Israeli occupation from 1982 to 2000 and fighting Israel to a draw in 2006; receiving arms, training, and financing from Iran; and serving as a military proxy for Iran and Syria.
It provides hospitals, schools, and social services in Shiite areas of the country. In many ways, Hezbollah acts as a state-within-a-state — sharing power with other groups in the government, but maintaining its own army, finances, and foreign policy. This is Hezbollah's preferred mode of operation: benefiting from the cover of the legitimate multicommunal Lebanese republic, while maintaining enough military and political influence to be left alone.

www.iraq-war.ru...

The U.S.-backed alliance led by Sunni politician Saad al-Hariri, the anti-Syrian "March 14" coalition won a majority in parliament.
They arent out of the woods, the inabilty to work between factions and questions on prime-ministerial appointment may push Lebanon towards the instability seen in 2006 where they only just managed to came back from the brink of another civil war.
For more information about possible outcomes I suggest you visit reuters:

www.reuters.com...

The possibility of March 8 winning, would have seen Hezbollah marry Lebanon to Syrian/Iranian political-religious policies. Hezbollah and March 8 are at its core an Islamist movement that adheres to the principles of the Iranian Revolution. The Anti Syrian March 14 winners are a US backed coallition.

Why were these elections so important to the west that March 8 (Hezbollah led) did not win?:

Hezbollah also knows that an outright electoral victory might make Israel less hesitant to attack; in such a case, Lebanon's Western friends, supportive of the March 14 coalition, might not help it. Nasrallah has intimated that in such a circumstance, he would turn to Iran for military and economic support, which would trigger negative reactions from the United States, numerous European countries, and Sunni Arab countries.

www.iraq-war.ru...
Mr Salem is director of the Middle East Center in Beirut.

[edit on 8-6-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The Al Jazeereah report on the elction is quite good, it gives a breakdown on the Maronite Christians and how they have split their vote and regional reaction to the US backed March 14 win.

Michel Aoun, a former military chief and leader of the Free Patriotic Movement (FPM), which is allied to Hezbollah, conceded on Lebanon's OTV that his party's candidates had been defeated. The win by the March 14 coalition had been by no means certain and it was thought the elections would be decided in Christian districts where Aoun's candidates challenged other Christian competitors allied to the March 14 camp.

Al Jazeerah also go onto to explain the problems facing the new government and list:
Prime-ministerial appointment as one issue, and March 8 minority to join the coalition new Government, but are demanding the right to veto even though are now a clear minority.

News Middle East March 14 bloc wins Lebanon vote Even before the official results were out, March 14 supporters began to celebrate [AFP] Official results have confirmed the victory of Lebanon's March 14 coalition over the opposition Hezbollah-led alliance in the country's parliamentary elections. Ziad Baroud, the interior minister, announced the figures on Monday, confirming what had already been predicted by the country's newspapers. The results showed the Sunni-led March 14 coalition, led by Saad Hariri, the son of Rafiq Hariri, the assassinated former prime minister, winning 71 seats in the 128-seat parliament, while the Hezbollah-led alliance took 57. Even before the official results were out, the March 14 coalition, named for the date of a protest that prompted the withdrawal of Syrian troops from Lebanon, declared victory, prompting street celebrations among its supporters. Prospects for veto James Bays, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Beirut, said two areas needed to be examined by Lebanon's political parties in the wake of the result. "First, is the idea of a veto [over cabinet decisions] for Hezbollah and its allies if they were to join a new government of national unity," he said. "That [veto] has existed for the last year, since violent clashes in Beirut last year led to a unity deal between political parties in Doha [the Qatari capital]. "If Hezbollah joins a new unity government they would like that veto retained - but March 14 have said that the people have spoken ... and that they need to govern. The other issue is that of who will become prime minister in any new government, Bays said.

Please read this article, its very important to what is going on in the Middle East. If Lebabnon can work a functioning coalition government as a multi denominational and politically factional country, there is hope for Isreal and Palestine.. Im not holding my breath though.

english.aljazeera.net...

[edit on 8-6-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
The difference between how Al Jezeerah reports the events, very clinical and local reaction with possible outcomes, to how Yahoo reports it.
They make it about Obama. And the US saving the middle east.
The Lebanese don't give a hoot about him, they have shown in this result their hatred for the mass presence of Syrian troops in Lebanon over the years.

BEIRUT – A pro-Western coalition won Lebanon's parliamentary elections Monday, dealing a major setback to the Iranian-backed Hezbollah and giving a boost to Barack Obama's Middle East peace policy. Coming just days after the American president reached out to the Muslim world, the vote undercuts the most militant force in Lebanese politics. It was the first major political test in the Middle East since Obama's groundbreaking address last week, in which he challenged the Islamic world to confront violent extremism and urged Israel and the Arabs to find common ground to establish peace.

it does go on to note Israels reaction at least.

Congratulations also came from the U.N. and Arab League chiefs and the leaders of France, Egypt and Jordan. Israel, which warned ahead of the elections that a Hezbollah victory could further destabilize the Middle East, appeared relieved. "There was an election in Lebanon and the moderate camp won. This is definitely a positive sign," Defense Minister Ehud Barak said. "But the real proof will be ... in the government's ability to enforce order and prevent Hezbollah from continuing military actions in southern Lebanon and throughout Lebanon."

see full article:
news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
nice post. I wasn't aware of this, I tend not to read newspapers/ online news that much these days because the only stories seem to be about footballers and nothing "serious".

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Vilyariel

Pleasure

I go to several souces to see what they say.
This election was nothing short of pivotal in terms of middle east dynamics, thought I'd share even if the interest in this actual important world event is minimal

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Now that they were removed for the government, now the next move is to disarm and remove them.

The US should provide any and all "non-weapon" resources to aid Lebanon in this.

I mean satellite tracking.....

A big congrats to Lebanon for getting rid of terrorist's in their government, the same terrorists that stated two devastating wars with Israel.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
This is a real shame for Hezbollah, who will help Palestine now?
I guess if you have the U.S. Backing you, you can just ride roughshot over Palestine, with no payback.
The OP is obviously pro israel, just to let you know, in Europe we are all appalled with israel and have been for many years and I for one hope Hezbollah rise up again to provide some balance for those poor people in Palestine.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Badfuture

So let me get this right, you want terrorists to rise up and attack another country for a 3rd time so that Lebanon will be completely destroyed????

Clearly the people of Lebanon are much smarter than that.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It is what it is, let me guess the U.S. Backed coalition that defeated Hezbollah in the election is giving democracy to the people of lebenon lol.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badfuture
This is a real shame for Hezbollah, who will help Palestine now?
I guess if you have the U.S. Backing you, you can just ride roughshot over Palestine, with no payback.
The OP is obviously pro israel, just to let you know, in Europe we are all appalled with israel and have been for many years and I for one hope Hezbollah rise up again to provide some balance for those poor people in Palestine.

The OP is not Pro Israel, nor pro palestine.
All I have done is try to report the event that took place in Lebanon.
If you read my first post I highlight the effectiveness of Hezbollah to organise.

The point of this post is to provide reporting from sources I have found from the Arab centre in Beirut, Al Jezeerah, Reuters and Yahoo, with some explanations. and I will continue to feed this through.
Please bother to read the posts rather than just the heading.

As for what Hezbollah continues to do in Palestine from here, well that is another thread.
Not being in Power is not new for them, they will continue to arm Palestine via Iranian and Syrian networks.

They additionally raised their funds through growing drugs down around near Baalbek (actually lovely people when you sit with them for tea!) but Israel raised that area to the ground recently.

They wont disappear, I wouldnt worry about that.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I'm amazed that Hezbollah lost. They were the only champion of the Palestinian people's cause and are the least corrupt and most efficient government in this region.

Besides, wasn't it Stalin who allegedly said:

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing.
Those who count the votes decide everything."

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Now that they were removed for the government, now the next move is to disarm and remove them.

They were not 'removed' from the government and no one could even if the tried as Israel did for a good long time. Again why do you wish to see a group destroyed that is so clearly and openly in support of honest to god democracy? Why should the losers be disarmed and 'removed'?

The US should provide any and all "non-weapon" resources to aid Lebanon in this.

I mean satellite tracking.....

Because we all know that when you don't get your way trough rigging the electoral system you resort to violence and assasination? Is that what we see them doing in Lebanon? The US government could learn a boatload from these so called 'terrorist' and 'fanatics' of how democracy really should work.

A big congrats to Lebanon for getting rid of terrorist's in their government, the same terrorists that stated two devastating wars with Israel.

Israel started a war by declaring itself a country as if they were a conquering horde that could lay claim to whatever they could either steal or buy from those with no right to even sell land. The fact that it managed to survive as it did not give it any more legitimacy than any conquering horde of past ages had beyond the understanding that might makes right. But hey, since Europeans felt guilty about Jews getting butchered ( but not guilty enough to give them a piece of Germany of France for instance) the Middle east were forced to accept these new Zionist colonist who soon proved thay they were just about as dangerous and competant as Nazi propaganda made them out to be.

Official results released a day after Lebanon's hotly-contested parliamentary election have confirmed the pro-Western coalition has held on to its majority.

Interior Minister Ziad Baroud confirmed the 14 March coalition of Saad Hariri had won 71 seats in the 128-member body, one more than four years ago.

Hassan Nasrallah, head of militant movement Hezbollah, said he accepted the outcome.

But Hassan Nasrallah said he accepted the outcome - in which the Hezbollah-led bloc won 58 seats.

"I would like to congratulate all those who won, those in the majority and those in the opposition," he said.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Clearly a crazed fanatic!

Lebanon did not get rid of anyone as this was a parliamentary election meaning that both groupings are still being represented.

The following is even more interesting:

A possible victory for Hezbollah, which is supported by Syria and Iran, had caused jitters among Western governments, and the US was threatening to withdraw its aid package to Lebanon.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Such a brilliant example of the internationalist spirit where we all cooperate to help countries shattered by years of warfare ( to keep Israeli and others out of direct Lebanese affairs) by threatening to withdraw aid if 'democracy' didn't get our candidates elected.

Democracy in action, just like in Iraq and Afghanistan!

Stellar

Mod Edit: Fixed BBcode.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by StellarX

They were removed, voted out because the people of Lebanon are sick of those terrorists causing wars and distroying their country

There is no rigging as you claim, removing armed terrorists, or at least their arms is necessary for peace, clearly the people of Lebanon see what you don't or can't.

You are so painfully ignorant on the next point it hurts.

England gave the land to the UN.

The UN created modern Israel.
(read a history book dude, seriously)

You even accidently told the truth, Hezbolla are the lapdogs of Iran and Syria.
They don't care one bit about the people in Lebanon.
They only care about their suicidal drive to kill all jews

they don't care who dies or what is destroyed in their animal move to murder.

The only thing Hezbolla has achieved is the destruction of large parts of Lebanon.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
To put some clarificatoin in here:

Lebanon's current power-sharing system divides the 128 seats in parliament equally between Christians and Muslims.

March 14 won the majority, but they were ALREADY in power. Hezbollah weren't removed from governing, their seats were reduced. And the question now is with a reduction do they retain their right to VETO.

The country's president must be a Maronite Christian, the Prime Minister a Sunni Muslim and the Speaker of Parliament a Shia Muslim.

The appointment of a Prime minister is the next hurdle.

To see how their elections for their ASEMBLEY OF REPRESENTATIVES works, read wikpedia (simple) but shows how they tried to construct a fair cross denominational form of representation with the TAIF agreement in 1989 post their bloody civil war.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 9-6-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

They were removed, voted out because the people of Lebanon are sick of those terrorists causing wars and distroying their country

Hi again Monsoon,

They were not 'removed' and while the people of Lebanon are as sick of war and terrorism as everyone else on the planet they also live there and understand who is protecting them and who are invading and bombing them.

There is no rigging as you claim, removing armed terrorists, or at least their arms is necessary for peace, clearly the people of Lebanon see what you don't or can't.

I didn't say there were election rigging in this case. What i suggested is that the people of Lebanon need all the economic aid they can get and the fact that the US threatened to cut them off in no way made the process more democratic. As for removing people's weapons i should probably remind you that the founding fathers and their supporters where 'terrorist' too not so many centuries ago. In fact the wish to disarm others is exactly why Lebanese and resistance/liberation movements all over the world will keep on fighting to maintain their means of self defense.

You are so painfully ignorant on the next point it hurts.

England gave the land to the UN.

It was not England's land to give to anyone but to those they originally took it from ( meaning the people who lived there) so yes, strange that you support those who stole the land over those who are still fighting to hand on to the last bits of it.

The UN created modern Israel.
(read a history book dude, seriously)

No, the League of nations 'granted' Britain the 'mandate' ( because back then imperialist still tossed pieces of land around as if no one lived there) of PALESTINE. This is what the "mandate' ( as written by the league which were by no means impartial) called upon Britain to do:

avalon.law.yale.edu...

The UN came into it a bit later and they didn't 'create' modern Israel either. Modern Israel created itself by declaring independence ( breaking the UN agreements that allowed their presence there) and then surviving the attack that was bound to result from this land grab.

You even accidently told the truth, Hezbolla are the lapdogs of Iran and Syria.
They don't care one bit about the people in Lebanon.

They are not the 'lapdogs' as these people are Lebanese first and foremost and took aid from those who are willing to finance their aims. Admittedly movements who gain such aid may become corrupted to serve a exclusive outside interest but as far as i can see Lebanese are still mostly fighting for what they believe to be best for Lebanon,; not Iran or Syria. But that's my view and i am biased when it comes to Israel and their terribly destablizing presence in the area.

They only care about their suicidal drive to kill all jews

Actually it's not about Jews but about fighting the radical zionism that led to the creation of the state of Israel. You confuse a hatred of zionism with a hatred of jewish people in general when they are in fact two very seperate things. Admittedly it serves the Zionist to claim that attacks against them are attacks against all Jewish people but then yes, that's what i would have done if i had wanted to steal land, expel it's people and create my own little apartheid state.

they don't care who dies or what is destroyed in their animal move to murder.

You watch too many movies and believe too much propaganda. Don't let your prejudice against muslims in general turn you into the raving fanatic you are emulating here.

The only thing Hezbolla has achieved is the destruction of large parts of Lebanon.

Right, something that would have been possible without the presence of Israel in Lebanon; in fact a presence that led to the formation of Hezbollah! Isn't it ironic how imperialist states creates their nemesis time and time again? Blameless the 'country' that bombs a minority of it's own with aircraft and howitzers. Yes, it's all Hezbolla....

Stellar

[edit on 10-6-2009 by StellarX]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The Lebanese invade no one, bomb nobody and do not send hit squads roaming the globe.

Is the Lebanon the only true democracy in the Middle East?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX

It was not England's land to give to anyone but to those they originally took it from ( meaning the people who lived there) so yes, strange that you support those who stole the land over those who are still fighting to hand on to the last bits of it.

Sorry but this is just blatantly untrue. Britain governed the area after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire after WWI. We didn't steal any land from anyone.

The League of Nations carved up the Ottoman Empire according to the ethnic / cultural makeup of the populations in what was viewed as the fairest way. No-one could agree who should run Palestine since there were both Jews and Arabs living there, and so the British stepped in to govern it until it could be sorted out.

The end result was splitting the Mandate between present day Jordan for the Arabs (89,341 square kms, population 6.2 million) and present day Israel for the Jews (20,770 square kms , population 7.4 million).

Please check your history before making posts like this, it just makes you come across as ill-informed.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

Lebanon may not, unfortunately for them...

The muslim terrorists hezbolla do attack other countries and has caused two devastating wars for Lebanon.

The sooner they get removed, the sooner peace will rein for the people of Lebanon.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Lebanon may not, unfortunately for them...

The muslim terrorists hezbolla do attack other countries and has caused two devastating wars for Lebanon.

The sooner they get removed, the sooner peace will rein for the people of Lebanon.

I thought historical revisionism was outlawed? Do forget that it was Israel invaded the Lebanon on two separate occasions, bombs it neighbours and recently devastated the Palestinians of Gaza?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Yes mason, lets remember that attacks came from Lebanon first, then it was counter attacked.

I know, that fact just slipped your mind, no problem, glade to help fill in.

You mean defeated multiply countries that attacked or were going to attack them, yeah, in war they bombed the enemy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join