It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea jails 2 female US journalists for 12 years

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Well perhaps you chose a better word than justified. As this is not serving justice in the sence that we know or understand. Its an abuse of power and using these women as political pawns. Nothing else.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben Niceknowinya

And whatever's on your mind, has nothing to do with this story, and quite frankly you're being a lil' disrespectful to the OP>

So saying that they must have been aware of one possible outcome is suddenly off topic, just because i have a dissenting opinion...and yes, it does connect back to U.S.A. because they helped stir the shotpile that is the Korean Peninsula.

These women must have been aware that they would be imprisoned if they were caught, and yet they still tried to report...good on them, but why all the surprise and outcry when they do get caught and do get the sentence that wasn't unexpected?

I do like the *shot* idea though

[edit on 8-6-2009 by aorAki]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Considering they knew the consequences if they got caught I'm not too remorseful.

Anybody who knows anything about NK knows they will imprison you on just hearsay alone. They do it to their own people in fact they usually publicly execute them. Their lucky they are just in prison even if it's the equivalent of a Nazi camp. The realized they were Americans then of course they would be placed in prison especially right now in order to make a point to our govt.

If they claim ignorance and not knowing the risk of entering NK then they are about as ignorant as a 2 year old.

Not saying it's right just saying they were stupid to even try.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Darthorious

They never claimed ignorance.

They were brave, unlike some, and that was their fatal mistake, trying to get YOU news and keep YOU informed.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
reply to post by Darthorious

They never claimed ignorance.

They were brave, unlike some, and that was their fatal mistake, trying to get YOU news and keep YOU informed.

I really really like the way you put 'you' in caps, thereby implying that we are in a way complicit in the situation these women find themselves in.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
quote]Originally posted by aorAki

Originally posted by Ben Niceknowinya

And whatever's on your mind, has nothing to do with this story, and quite frankly you're being a lil' disrespectful to the OP>

So saying that they must have been aware of one possible outcome is suddenly off topic, just because i have a dissenting opinion...and yes, it does connect back to U.S.A. because they helped stir the shotpile that is the Korean Peninsula.

These women must have been aware that they would be imprisoned if they were caught, and yet they still tried to report...good on them, but why all the surprise and outcry when they do get caught and do get the sentence that wasn't unexpected?

I do like the *shot* idea though

[edit on 8-6-2009 by aorAki]

I'm sure they were aware of their *possible outcome, otherwise they would've taken a bus into NK, and perhaps had a picnic on the way.
Point made.
I just don't understand how, better yet why you wouldn't care about these journalists basing your argument on US foreign policy......which we can both agree has a pretty crappy rep. Yes. But what do the 2 have in common here?
Stir the shotpile?
Well, the shotpile in the Korean peninsula has been the same scenario pretty much for more than 5 decades.....where is this going again exactly?
And why is it important?
Your fallacy is blaming these two women for the wrong reason, is my point.
As for being off topic?
While 'you guys' are in the Middle East stirring up a hornet's nest
While you train your young people to be state-sanctioned murderers
while you continue with the absolute greed that has the chance of pushing your country into environmental disaster
I have no sympathy.

blah.

This is not about my country. It's about 2 journalists.

As for your sympathy? It's not important. With all respect due.
What's the point of sympathy.?
Right?
When do you ever feel better about feeling bad for someone?
Sympathy is irrelevant.
It's not about pity either.
It's the fact that you show the same behavior patterns as US foreign policy does by turning your head. A double fallacy.

Why all the surpirse and outcry?
You said it yourself.

C'mon......let's do another shot, this time around show a little more support for these women who risked their lives for a story.

It's stories like the ones these 2 women risked 12 years of their life for that make a better difference at the end of the day.

That's all.

Cheers.

[edit on 8-6-2009 by Ben Niceknowinya]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
So.....Pol Pot killed, what, 2 million Cambodians, right? That's genocide. North Korea has killed far more through straight FAMINE- some 2 million mass graves have been located- and they have a network of 20+ "camps" that are concentration camps. Gulags. Hitler- Stalin- remember them?

How many Chinese people did the Japanese kill, torture or experiment upon in WW2? Estimates are aroung 50-100M.

Two women- trying to get info to the world about a country that is "Stalinist" in it's kindest metaphorical description are going to die in concentration camps.

Of COURSE it's a ploy by NK to trade them for NUKES. We're not idiots here- but should we not honor these two people for attempting to be the voice for 23+million North Koreans who HAVE no voice at all? They are heros- not victims. I imagine it would disgust them to be called martyrs or victims. They chose a path that they new had risks, but put the well-being of an entire nation before their own.

If we ignore them, well- we're no different than all of the Allied countries- with VISUAL and personal testimonials of the Nazi camps, which killed 12-15 million Romani, Jews, Disabled people, Communists, etc., and did NOTHING for 4 years of the war to stop it- we didn't bomb the train lines that carried people like cattle to the ovens. We didn't intervene with Switzerland, who housed Nazi money and victims' money, art, etc. We did NOTHING. And it looks like we'll do nothing again, as 23 million North Koreans risk death by starvation, torture, medical experimentation, being turned in by neighbors, etc. We'll watch them suffer and die- and we'll watch two brave people who wanted the truth to be told, to die as well.

I'm sickened with the entire world. I doubt there's any humanity left.

Some of you may say- well, what about Israel? and I say- when a racial group looses 6 million in ONE CENTURY, nothwithstanding the Spanish Inquisition, Crusades, etc., I support their safety as I support anyone else's. We cannot draw lines with genocide. will you choose the Tutsis over the Hutu; the Christian Sudanese over the Muslim, or vice versa? All is the rape of culture and the destruction of the quest for simple human rights.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by CultureD]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
There is some question as to whether these journalist entered NK intentionally or if they were tricked by a north Korean agent/"guide".

They had a Korean "guide" that was taken into custody at the same time but has since not been heard from and was not tried with the two journalist.

One did they cross the border or did the North Koreans arrest them in china and claim thy had crossed the border.
Or did the guide trick them into believing they were still in china and take them across the border for money or other benefits from NK.

Or was the guide a north Korean agent that tricked them for NK so they could be used as hostages.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Labor camps? more like perpetual beatings and rape...They will not last 12yrs

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Starred and flagged. They have my thoughts and prayers. The situation is intolerable, with tensions mounting, and I hope this ends with enough pressure put on NK to simply deport them. I can only imagine what these 2 women are going through.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Question,

What would most countries do if someone was taking pictures where they should not?

I do mean weather they are on the border or not.

For example, what would China do if it's military installations were being photographed-even a few from the border?

What would Russia do in the same situation?

I hope you see my point.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join