It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coming Superbrain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
The machines will one day surpass human brain?

Today, artificial intelligence, once the preserve of science fiction writers and eccentric computer prodigies, is back in fashion and getting serious attention from NASA and from Silicon Valley companies like Google as well as a new round of start-ups that are designing everything from next-generation search engines to machines that listen or that are capable of walking around in the world. A.I.’s new respectability is turning the spotlight back on the question of where the technology might be heading and, more ominously, perhaps, whether computer intelligence will surpass our own, and how quickly.

The concept of ultrasmart computers — machines with “greater than human intelligence” — was dubbed “The Singularity” in a 1993 paper by the computer scientist and science fiction writer Vernor Vinge. He argued that the acceleration of technological progress had led to “the edge of change comparable to the rise of human life on Earth.”

Source: www.nytimes.com...

[edit on 8-6-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
By 2045, Mankind will meld AI with human brain to make mind boggling advances in intelligence

Most science books at this level of sophistication leave the armchair quantum-mechanics buff in the dust. But "The Singularity Is Near" works simultaneously on different levels. Anyone can grasp Mr. Kurzweil's main idea: that mankind's technological knowledge has been snowballing, with dizzying prospects for the future. The basics are clearly expressed. But for those more knowledgeable and inquisitive, the author argues his case in fascinating detail.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
The TED talk by Kurz is most fascinating. I'm fairly optimistic my consciousness will be around for 1,000's of years assuming the singularity gives us a matrix to enter into.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Intelligence is the ability to recognize patterns. Humans come equipped with a variety of chemicals that lay dorment in their body awaiting to be triggered which then result in an increased attention to a pattern, indifference to a pattern, rejection of a pattern, etc. A mechanical A.I. would not have this impulsive nature when it comes to patterns (lack of emotion). I believe that its inherent lack on anger would prevent any formulation of a reason to go against man. Really advanced A.I. would do wonders for calculations and all that without really posing a threat to replacing man. Worst case scenario, dump water on yourself to embed "god-like" immunity into its pattern finding. "Man can endure water, I cannot. Conclusion: Man > Machine."

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I, for one, wish to take this early opportunity to Welcome, our new machine masters, and wish them every happiness and sucess in their future endeavours.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny
By 2045, Mankind will meld AI with human brain to make mind boggling advances in intelligence

Most science books at this level of sophistication leave the armchair quantum-mechanics buff in the dust. But "The Singularity Is Near" works simultaneously on different levels. Anyone can grasp Mr. Kurzweil's main idea: that mankind's technological knowledge has been snowballing, with dizzying prospects for the future. The basics are clearly expressed. But for those more knowledgeable and inquisitive, the author argues his case in fascinating detail.

I wholly and fully refute this - the recent publication by Peter Singer "Wired for War" specifically cites top US military officials as saying that by 2025 combat androids based on FULL integration with AI will be the DOMINANT aspect of the battle field while by 2030 we can expect to be completely redundant in all aspects of military having been "taken out of the loop".

Peter Singer is the head of the Brookings Institute and is THE pre-eminent academic in the world today in this field.

Peter Singer recently stated that according to Moores Law (computers double in power ever two years - a law which has not been broken for over 40 years and is actually getting faster) that by 2030 computers will be 100,000,000 times more powerful than they are today - if he is wrong by a factor of 100 then computers will still be a million times more powerful than they are today -

[edit on 8-6-2009 by audas]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Computing power does not equate to intelligence.

My cat is more intelligent than my computer.

What makes our brains intelligent is the ability to make an observation, formulate a hypothesis, and manipulate the source of that observation to develop an understanding.

Intelligence is based on (among other things) one's ability to develop solutions to a problem using insight and theory, alone. The better one can recall the past and potentially relevant information, and stitch that together into a model/theory/understanding; the more intelligent that person is considered to be.

Anyway - here's the question we should be asking ourselves.... does intelligence constitute a soul? - an entity with rights?

If I can create an AI to do whatever I want.... does that AI belong to me, or does it have its own set of rights?

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by War Otter
I, for one, wish to take this early opportunity to Welcome, our new machine masters, and wish them every happiness and sucess in their future endeavours.

Hahahaha, good one.

new topics

top topics

join