It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gender test spurs abortion fears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Gender test spurs abortion fears

A new test to reveal the gender of a fetus in early pregnancy has sparked a row over whether it will lead to sex-selection abortions.
"The concern we would have is that people would then terminate pregnancies on the grounds of sex selection,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Oh boy.
I’ve always been pro-abortion, it’s not my right to tell anyone what to do with their body, but - abortion based on the sex of the child?

Since there's some doubt as to the validity of the test, I hope women (and men) think twice before obtaining abortions based on it's results.

Medsafe group manager Stewart Jessamine said that until the maker of IntelliGender stated how it worked, "none of us know much about it as to whether it's anything better than a guess".

EDIT TO ADD: To clear up my stand on abortion as my statements seem to have sparked some fires.
I do not agree with abortion - for me, for my body, No - But I'll be the last one to force another woman what to do with her body.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-6-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
It's nothing new, people have been doing this forever. It is very common across Asia, especially in places like India and China where it has created a huge gap in marriageable women. Anyone ever take a guess at why the superstition of guessing a baby's gender by how or low it is came about?

People in America do this too, they just aren't so open about it. I have no doubt a lot of "miscarriages" are really abortions.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Really? Pro-abortion? Pro killing? Ending life is a woman's right, I suppose. No different than pulling weeds in a lawn, I guess. Of course then you learn that the Europeans brought dandelions to NA as a food. Abortion is great. A real awakening for us. Let us all kneel before all the wonderful consequences it has given us. Maybe fetus is the new red meat. What do I know. When do we stop? I am with Hicks on this one - abort them when the are like 2 or something. I don't know why this gets under my skin, maybe because destroying life just seems so counterproductive. Maybe because I went through this as a 15 yo. You know, it was the "right" thing to do... Maybe we should throw those aborted humans into the "sacred" lands set aside for butterflies and frogs and the such. I mean, really, the government has lots of room to tell us that these areas are off limits. In the mean time, please, sacrifice humans in your own comfort. Baal is proud, I am sure!

All that being said, wake up fathers! Be a part of the life / lives you have co-created!

Rant ends...

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Chemley

Abortion is a tough issue, cause on one hand you have a spawning baby with no conscious and memory of the event or the ability to decipher the instant termination.

On the other hand, you have kids having kids, the mother makes nothing of her life being strapped down to a baby as a young teen. The baby grows up with less than it needs, raised, most often by a girl who has no knowledge of how to properly raise a baby.

The results of that, are under educated, less fortunate children that most often have a very tough life. These are the people breaking into your car, robbing your house, stealing your credit card, defrauding your grandma etc. The damage to society from these kids is massive, granted, it's not that way in 100% of the cases, but a great majority. Our society is to blame, cause it has turned young girls into useless blobs. They then get pregnant with no means to support themselves or their new baby. Hence the issues previously stated.

It's no longer the older days people, and each side has it's reasoning. But doing it based on gender is completely unethical because of the corruption it breeds in the system. Leading to situations like China where a generation of males will likely never find a woman to marry.

[edit on 8-6-2009 by king9072]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

The Chinese citizens could really put this technology to good use, eh? No more baby girls being tossed into wells and such.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by king9072

Certainly agree on the gender argument.

Personally, I believe the issue is much deeper. From a spiritual point of view, it is a sacrifice.

I agree that it is some what of a tragedy to have "babies" having "babies". But if we solved the overriding somewhat new societal / family issue that dictates separation at a certain age, then we could yet again move past this somewhat minor issue.

I cannot help but consider the paradox of a 15 y/o having and abortion then the next day helping push a whale back into the ocean and shortly after reporting to work at the animal shelter league trying to get someone to adopt that cute little puppy on its way to "euthanasia" the next day....

What have we become?

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

People in America do this too, they just aren't so open about it. I have no doubt a lot of "miscarriages" are really abortions.

Yes, it’s not great secret Asia has been practicing this form of genocide for ages.

Your statement about Americans - can you explain please?

Thanks

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Chemley

Really? Pro-abortion? Pro killing?

I'm sorry this issue bothers you, it bothers me also.
That being said, again, I do not believe in abortion for me, but I feel I've no right to tell another woman or force another woman what to do or not do with her body.

Take that one step further - that a woman would abort a child because of gender, - no no no - in that case I would agree with you, no matter than it makes me out a hypocrite.

If she would be willing to carry one gender she should be willing to carry both - but again - there I go being a hypocrite.

Touch subject this...

peace

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Americans abort unwanted babies based on gender all the time, not always girl babies either. Some doctors still do not tell parents the gender until it is too late for a legal abortion if they suspect parents will do that including my former ob/gyn.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by secretagent woooman

Americans abort unwanted babies based on gender all the time, not always girl babies either. Some doctors still do not tell parents the gender until it is too late for a legal abortion if they suspect parents will do that including my former ob/gyn.

That just goes to show my naiveté of anything neonatal and human.

So the gender test gives the *parents* a whole new layer of privacy - no Obgyn hanging over their decision to abort or not.

Hmmm...

Thanks for the post...

top topics

join