It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Sentences 2 U.S. Reporters to 12 Years Labor Prison

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

N. Korea Sentences 2 U.S. Reporters to 12 Years Labor Prison

www.foxnews.com

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea's state news agency says the country's top court has convicted two U.S. journalists and sentenced them to 12 years in labor prison.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Wow, 12 years for illegally crossing over the border.

If we did that here, the prisons would be 3 times as full as they are now. I think this is more of a slap in the face against the U.S. and the U.N. too be honest.

They see the chance of dealing harshly with two individuals with ties to the U.S. of A. , and exploit the opportunity to the fullest.

Hopefully there will be a way to get them to be lenient before sentence is ordered to be carried out, if that has not already happened.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-6-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
That is a very hefty penalty. The reporters had to know the consequences of their actions though. I wonder if North Korea will try to use them for some political leverage?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Yes , theres a lot of this unjust behaviour going about with such sentences . Theres even countries that keep people incarcerated without even giving them a trial like these 2 got . Disgraceful , isn't it .

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
What purpose does it serve to walk around on a golf field were players are practicing their drives...

Or paint a picture on a dummy in a gunfiring practice area.

Really your going to go to a communist country known for alot of evil, and think it's going to be A-Okay with them.... they had it coming, they knew better.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Al Gore is apparently planning to go to Korea this week to negotiate their release and by all accounts the administration is expecting them to be used as political pawns. They won't do the time, they'll keep them awhile until NK gets some concessions. They are just too high-profile to risk keeping in detention, especially with the attention Roxana Saberi got in Iran.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
The 2 reporters crossing that border is like someone looking down the barrel of a loaded gun and getting shot.

While sad, it was beyond stupidity.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman
Al Gore is apparently planning to go to Korea this week to negotiate their release and by all accounts the administration is expecting them to be used as political pawns. They won't do the time, they'll keep them awhile until NK gets some concessions. They are just too high-profile to risk keeping in detention, especially with the attention Roxana Saberi got in Iran.

Al Gore trying to save the day again. Maybe he will tell them to release them or he will release manbearpig on them. Thats about all the leverage he has to use against them.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Maybe North Korea could be convinced to keep Al Gore and free the two reporters. Now that is a deal I could live with!

Seriously, if Al Gore can help get these two reporter released that would be great. I can still hate him even if he does something worthwhile.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Sounds like they left their *immunity* cards at home.
That’ll teach them to go into a communist country unprepared again.
All kidding aside, 12 years.
OUCH.

What would be the penalty (I wonder) if the same was in reverse?
Two N. Korean spies caught in the USA?

I hope they find the strength and courage they need to get through this...

peace

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
North Korea needs to be stopped and they should have been stopped awhile ago.

It's simple, tell China if they don't strongly intervene we will bomb North Korea back to the stone age.

China will respond because they don't want the refugee problem.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Al Gore will crush North Korea between his giant man titties. Then he will bring these youngsters home.

But seriously, I would not like to see these girls do time in N. Korea in spite of the fact the they knew what they were getting in to. We could trade some Plutonium for them.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman
Al Gore is apparently planning to go to Korea this week to negotiate their release and by all accounts the administration is expecting them to be used as political pawns.

Oh No! They're going to execute those two. Please, somebody stop that guy before he convinces NK to recycle them! Take away his Power Point!

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
There were fears that the two women would be used by Pyongyang as bargaining chips in its standoff with South Korea and the United States, which are pushing for U.N. sanctions to punish the nation for its latest nuclear blast and barrage of missile tests.

here is a photo of the two

english.aljazeera.net...

tensions will boil over

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Al Gore better be careful. This guy is crazy enough to accuse Gore of spying and throw him in jail.

North Korea is obviously bold and I think it's because they see weakness.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
m.www.yahoo.com...

Not to worry, Secretary Clinton is on the way to save the day...

[edit on 8-6-2009 by Oatmeal]

[edit on 8-6-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

Talk about throwing gasoline on fire. Why not send Condoleeza, they hate, I mean, love her....

Anyway, here is the hypothetical scenario. Say they do take Gore hostage (they won't). How will that country cough up enough food to stave off the munchies when "Potsie" lights one up?

I always wondered how he deflected scientists evidence linking pot smoking to global warming. Something about him just screams "pothead," i dunno, maybe the dumfounded expression or the equator he calls a belly.....if he gets any bigger illegal aliens will be crossing him instead of the Rio Grande. Al, just say no to donuts, from one chunker to another!

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
This is sad. I don't know the whole story about this. But, 12 years? Just send them home for crissakes! Wouldn't it be cheaper? Yeah, political maneuvering going on here. I wonder if Nat Geo Channel will eventually have this story on "Locked Up Abroad"?

Hey, anyway, I was stationed in
Greece in 1982-83, with the U.S. Army. Before I arrived, there was a soldier who decided he wanted the Greek flag that was flying on a pole in the town square of this little backwater place , Langadas, where we were stationed. He climbed the pole on his last night there and tried to take the flag as a souvenir. He was arrested. He got 14 years in jail!!!!! And he optioned out to work on a prison farm for 7 years instead of just sitting in a cell for 14 years. Sheesh. Once a month a representative from our little base went to visit him and give him cigarettes and MRE's. Life can really suck when you go into another country and break their laws.

Oh, and, yeah, Al Gore could unleash manbearpig on lil Kim, or, yikes!, Eric Cartman might eat all the NK treasury.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
they are lucky as HELL!

Leader Kim would have had them executed if it was't for the fact of their Nationality!

they are SO lucky to get to Live.

Thank you Kim for not being a complete utter psychotic freak

you are just a somewhat psychotic freak

there is a difference

BTW - what were they doing in Kim's backyard?

i know in the USA if you climb in peoples back yard you WILL be SHOT on SIGHT

North Korea is nicer than most Americans if you really compare it from this perspective

*(im 100% against Kim btw)

[edit on 8-6-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

The Central Court tried American TV reporters Laura Ling and Euna Lee and confirmed their unspecified "grave crime" against the nation, and of illegally crossing into North Korea , the Korean Central News Agency said.

www.foxnews.com...

According to the article they commited a crime other than illegally crossing the border, and it's both crimes together that warrant a twelve year sentence. I'd like to know what the other crime was, although i'm sure it probably wasn't anythimg major.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join