It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Film : The Blade Runner Directors Cut

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   
What can i say, One of my favourite movies, Discuss..

Go.. Lets see what you people have to say about it.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I watched both the regular version and the directors cut, and I actually say I liked the regular version a little better, seemed more coherent.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Compaired to the book, the movie sucks ass. The movie leaves too much out. If you haven't read the book, I suggest you do. It's called; "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep" by-Philip K. Dick. Check it out.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
That is one of my top five movies of all time. I wore out two VHS copies of that movie, and I still listen to the soundtrack. The narration in the theatrical version got old to me. Rutger Hauer gives a perfect performance. Harrison Ford did what he does best, the sympathetic everyman hero; I even liked Daryl Hannah! (Kill Bill may make me change my opinion of her)

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotTooHappy
Compaired to the book, the movie sucks ass. The movie leaves too much out. If you haven't read the book, I suggest you do. It's called; "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep" by-Philip K. Dick. Check it out.

I was just a kid when the movie came out and had no idea who P.Dick was and just loved it. I still think the scene in which Zora is running from Decker and breaking through all the glass was beautifully shot.

As to the Director's cut, I didn't like it as much as the original. The film noir narrative set the mood and the movie wasn't the same without it.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre
That is one of my top five movies of all time. I wore out two VHS copies of that movie, and I still listen to the soundtrack. The narration in the theatrical version got old to me. Rutger Hauer gives a perfect performance. Harrison Ford did what he does best, the sympathetic everyman hero; I even liked Daryl Hannah! (Kill Bill may make me change my opinion of her)

I feel you man, Aparently the death of her char (DH) in Kill Bill Vol 2 is a reference to the death of 'Pris' in Blade Runner, as for the book i think they are completely different entitys, i do own the book and its a bloody good book, but as anybody who has read the book and seen the movie would know, as far as charictors go its more of a rough conversion rather than a straight out like say the Phillip K Dick books that became the other two famous films, Total Recall and Minority Report.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotTooHappy

I understand where your coming from, but its very difficult to do direct book to movie conversions, hell even Lord Of The Rings is not entirely acurate to the book. # one of my other favourite movies Fight Club is even slightly Different.. Probably one of the closer Book-to-Film projects.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
One of my top 5 movies of all time. Definately a great movie. Lots of versions. I like Deckards monologue throughout the movie. It adds a 40's detective noir to it. Without it, you lose a bit of the storyline. Gaff (Edward James Olmos) is awesome, as well as Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer). I still tear up a bit when the rooftop scene comes.....like tears....in rain.

NotTooHappy....I tried reading the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. It was utter nonsense. I see why they renamed the movie to Blade Runner. Ridley Scott virtually re-wrote the entire screenplay.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
It is a really good movie, a nice change from cheery sci/fi movies, has a nice dark tone to it. I never saw the orginal, just have the Dircetor's Cut on DVD.

They need a Collector's Edition with some special featuers, the DVD has nothing, not even a good menu.

Did Ford ever saw why he hated this movie? I recall him saying that this was a film he wished he never had done.

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by JediMaster]

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I think it's a great film visually but it's nowhere near in my top all timers. One of my major gripes is that the music score drives me around the bend.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
i have to agree with mostly everyone else... i like the original highly better than the director's cut. i haven't seen that in a long while, actually... must go rent or buy soon.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
i have to agree with mostly everyone else... i like the original highly better than the director's cut. i haven't seen that in a long while, actually... must go rent or buy soon.

I picked up the DVD incredibly cheap, $8.95 at Sam's Club. Does that make it very popular or unpopular? JediMaster is absolutely correct; the DVD is lacking in features. At least it won't wear out.

No comparison to P.K. Dick's story. It is like "Fight Club" and "Hunt for Red October" in that respect. Both were great books and made good movies, completely different movies, but enjoyable ones.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Expect a special edition DVD in the very near future. Oh, and for the record the Director's Cut blows the original away.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Blade Runner

Originally posted by Spectre

I feel you man, Aparently the death of her char (DH) in Kill Bill Vol 2 is a reference to the death of 'Pris' in Blade Runner, as for the book i think they are completely different entitys, i do own the book and its a bloody good book, but as anybody who has read the book and seen the movie would know, as far as charictors go its more of a rough conversion rather than a straight out like say the Phillip K Dick books that became the other two famous films, Total Recall and Minority Report.

Actually she doesnt die in KB 2 so i have been told..but she still riggles about on the floor like 'Pris' did in the mvoie blade runner when she dies..

Could be a referance.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
Expect a special edition DVD in the very near future. Oh, and for the record the Director's Cut blows the original away.

I tend to agree on the Directors cut issue..

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I loved the directors cut. I've got the DVD, and it is amazing that this movie is so good that it can still compete with the new movies Hollywood is putting out (special effects-wise).

It is such an amazing movie. I love the dark, futuristic/retro environment with the neon lights and the rain. Fantastic production.

I don't know which version I prefer, I watch them both every now and then.

OK, I'll share a secret if you promise not to laugh. I didn't realize he was a 'bot until I saw the directors cut. I'd seen the movie at least 20 times and it suddenly hit me when I saw the bit with the origami animal at the end. How stupid did I feel? He he.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Is there any way for you to still get the orginal on VHS?

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
You sure can.

At Amazon

It's worth every penny!

[Edited on 3-5-2004 by Zzub]

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Thanks Zzub

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 05:24 AM
link   
That lists as the directors cut there, i did see the original in a 2nd hand shop once for 3 quid on vhs..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join