It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the human body explode on impact?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
My greatest death fear is to fall from a great height. I think it might have even happened to me in a past life, and that is why I am so afraid of it and disgusted by it.

Does a human body really explode into nothing when it falls at terminal velocity to the ground? Or does it just get mangled beyond recognition?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

I feel that your fear of falling from great heights is there for a reason. Through evolution of humans, certain mutations made people not fear jumping from great heights and some others had mutations that made them have great fear of heights.. And I am quite certain the genes that were programmed to be fearfull of heights made it in the long run for the others I'm sure jumped off cliffs.

As for does it explode on impact? I do not exactly know. You can ask a bystander from 9/11 what bodies look like after people jump. They know first hand. From reading their testimony the huge bang of a sound is more gruesome than the splatter itself.

And if you are asking because you are thinking about jumping.. or pushing somebody over a bridge, you need to go chill and have a beer or something.

I could be wrong and you are planning on skydiving. I heard its fun...As long as you know your shoot is going to work right.

Good luck.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
How big of a fall are you talking? Like from a bridge to pavement or skyscrapper or something?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Yes the body would, to answr your question. Rotten had a picture of a man that suicided and the picture did not look pretty. It was a clump of skin and the bones inside. If anyone is reading this thread, please don't jump off buildings.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Yes, you internally explode on impact but it takes a great fall to cause the kind of disintegration you describe. That is why airplane crash victims are found in pieces, notwithstanding the effects of airplane debris.
I've seen pictures of this in forensic texts and it is really gruesome.

Interestingly enough if you are wearing metal or have metal implants and are struck by lightening the charge exits the body at those points and the wounds do resemble the damage from an explosion. Back in the 1980s a man in a boat washed up in Florida who looked like he had been butchered but no one could guess what weapon had caused his wounds. After his wife described jewelry and implants he had they finally figured out it was a lightening strike. VERY gruesome, we looked at the photos in a class I took some years later and it made people sick.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican

And if you are asking because you are thinking about jumping.. or pushing somebody over a bridge, you need to go chill and have a beer or something.

I could be wrong and you are planning on skydiving. I heard its fun...As long as you know your shoot is going to work right.

Good luck.

Haha no. Actually, it's because as a little kid I heard about Conor Clapton's death, and it scared the crap out of me. Every now and again I end up morbidly thinking about what actually happens.

[edit on 8-6-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman

Yes, you internally explode on impact but it takes a great fall to cause the kind of disintegration you describe. That is why airplane crash victims are found in pieces, notwithstanding the effects of airplane debris.
I've seen pictures of this in forensic texts and it is really gruesome.

Ewwww! So does it look similar to an animal that's been ran over, or is it just a red splotch?

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

haha, i don't know if your trying to be funny, or are just sick.

Jacob

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Not that I particularly wish to go in to details, but it would be more accurate to say that a body hitting at terminal velocity does not explode, it more ruptures. The internal organs rupture and generally the torso ruptures the worst. The head does also rupture as can the limbs to a lesser degree.
Now stop thinking about such things and go fishing or something to chill out.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Yeah rupturing is more accurate. There are LOTS of pictures online of that sort of thing. People hit by trucks tend to rupture a lot more, victims of falls sometimes do sometimes don't (probaby also depends on how "large" they are, as it generally is the abdomen that ruptures so a thin person would have less innards and there would be less pressure).

Here is a classic photo from Life Magazine, this woman jumped off the Empire State Building and landed on a car, yet there was no apparent damage. Other than torn stockings and missing shoes she looks amazingly good; quite beautiful in a morbid way. (Of course if she had hit the pavement things would have been different.)

Click below but be warned, it is a photo of a deceased person, but not graphic:

img.skitch.com...[/i

[edit on 8-6-2009 by Sonya610]

new topics

top topics

join