It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Pharma and Insurance Intend to Kill the Public Option

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com...

I'ved poked around Washington today, talking with friends on the Hill who confirm the worst: Big Pharma and Big Insurance are gaining ground in their campaign to kill the public option in the emerging health care bill.

You know why, of course. They don't want a public option that would compete with private insurers and use its bargaining power to negotiate better rates with drug companies. They argue that would be unfair. Unfair? Unfair to give more people better health care at lower cost? To Pharma and Insurance, "unfair" is anything that undermines their profits

what would the public option be like?
www.helenair.com...

The public plan would not be bare-bones coverage, its supporters say. It would offer good, comprehensive coverage for doctor visits, hospitals stays and preventive care — just like most good private plans.

“The benefits have got to be real,” says Alex Lawson, a health care research associate for the left-leaning Campaign for America’s Future. “The public plan is not going to be some sort of high-deductible, catastrophic product. … And any sort of out-of-pocket costs are going to be subsidized, based on people’s ability to pay.”

For those with lower incomes, the price of the public insurance plan would be subsidized — and so would the prices for some private insurance plans, under proposed reforms.

For example, one proposal says anyone earning between 150 percent and 300 percent of the federal poverty level would pay no more than 5 percent of their income for health insurance.

That income range is about $16,000 to $32,500 for a single person. Five percent of their income ranges from $800 to $1,600 a year.

i know the rich dont like the idea of the poor getting healthcare. one of their fear tactics is the slogan you dont want government run health care.

any poor person will tell you, government health care is better than no health care.

its time to bring universal healthcare to the usa.
we currently pay for universal health care in iraq and afganistan , so why not at home?

here are the countries that currently are ahead of us in providing insurance for the majority of their citizens.

www.blogcdn.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
People love the line "Why should I pay for some shmuck that doesn't pay, what the hell does that have to do with me?"

The problem with that thinking is it's short sightedness. Poor health on it's own reflects on the society as a whole. Missed work, or no work due to bad health hurts the economy. Not to mention the stress on a family that this could create as one or more members may not be getting the care they need, resulting in the family having to do extra care.

But the real issue in my opinion is the desperation that it creates, and breeds due to crushing bills. A family could work their whole life, be responsible with their money, and one member could have an accident, or other sort of catastrophic health issue. The resulting bills, can, and have bankrupted many families.

Anyone who has ever been flat broke, with big debt can attest to how desperate this situation really is. This leads to them having to make hard decisions, and results in higher crime rates.

So for anyone to claim, that it isn't their issues, you're sadly mistaken and perhaps need to start looking past your nose.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Obama is going to have one hell of a fight on his hands if he ever wants this legislation to see the light of day. Tommy Douglas, most commonly know in Canada as the father of Universal Health Care, had to fight the medical industrial complex (thought that was appropriate
), doctors (they even went on strike!) and about everyone else in between. But it was passed and the Canadian public is very grateful as it is now one of the social programs that we Canadians will never give up without a fight!

Douglas's number one concern was the creation of Medicare. In the summer of 1962, Saskatchewan became the centre of a hard-fought struggle between the provincial government, the North American medical establishment, and the province's physicians, who brought things to a halt with the 1962 Saskatchewan Doctors' Strike. The doctors believed their best interests were not being met and feared a significant loss of income as well as government interference in medical care decisions even though Douglas agreed that his government would pay the going rate for service that doctors charged. The medical establishment claimed that Douglas would import foreign doctors to make his plan work and used racist images to try to scare the public.[citation needed] Their defenders have also argued that private or government medical insurance plans covered 60 to 63 percent of the Saskatchewan population before Medicare legislation was introduced.
An often forgotten political fact is that though Douglas is widely hailed as the father of Medicare, he had retired from his position as Saskatchewan's premier, turned over this job in 1961 to Woodrow Lloyd and took the leadership of the federal New Democratic Party.
The Saskatchewan program was finally launched by his successor, Woodrow Lloyd, in 1962. The success of the province's public health care program was not lost on the federal government. Another Saskatchewan politician, newly elected Prime Minister John Diefenbaker, decreed in 1958 that any province seeking to introduce a hospital plan would receive 50 cents on the dollar from the federal government. In 1962, Diefenbaker appointed Justice Emmett Hall—also of Saskatchewan, a noted jurist and Supreme Court Justice—to Chair a Royal Commission on the national health system - the Royal Commission on Health Services. In 1964, Justice Hall recommended the nationwide adoption of Saskatchewan's model of public health insurance. In 1966, the Liberal minority government of Lester B. Pearson created such a program, with the federal government paying 50% of the costs and the provinces the other half.

Good luck Obama.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Sorry to burst the bubble but with the state of affairs that this nation economy is right now, Obama big plan for universal health care is going to die of malnutrition because the economy can no even maintain government spending and unsustainable deficit, this program will need billions to be able to start

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Originally posted by marg6043
this program will need billions to be able to start

billions? we create money out of thin air. arent we already 12 + trillion in the hole? i think the government has shown it can find money, even if it doesnt exist.

moving ahead with universal health care could be an investment that would potentially save trillions over the long run.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

How does higher taxes equate to saving trillions in the long run?

Socialized medicine will be cost - benefit, to be real short about that if you are found to have cancer and only 6 months to live, some bureaucrat up in Washington will decide whether or not it is cost effective for them to provide treatment for you to live.

Also, printing more money is going to cause hyperinflation. Of course it doesn't surprise me though people that want socialized medicine in the US would rather live on the street and be taxed out of house and home just so they can be able to go to the doctor anytime they wish.

Socialized medicine is not that answer. We can't afford it its as simple as that.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Now with the millions of illegal immigrants that are to benefit because their offspring's are born Americans this will bring a worst exodus of illegal immigrants into this nation ready to get their unborn into the health care give away.

Most states are already running deficits and raising taxes to pay for their governments as the federal government can not maintain them anymore, behind the picture of great for the nation under Obama plan he is forgetting that this nation is running on an unsustainable deficit

Over the next four years, President Obama plans dramatic increases in spending on health care, environment, education, and federal employment. Yet, the private economy, which must be taxed, is likely to grow slowly, resulting in too much borrowing.

Obama have to keep borrowing to do any programs that he is planning.

For years to come, federal finances will likely look a lot like Obama’s 2010 projection—the deficit at 50 percent of revenues and the Treasury borrowing $100 billion every month.

Borrowing costs could be cut in half by raising federal taxes paid by everyone 25 percent, but Congress is not likely to go along.

To finance his programs he will have to raise taxes and congress will never let that happen because that is a political campaign killer.

So I will not put my hopes too high on this venture yet, not with the nation economic crisis.

www.economyincrisis.org...

[edit on 7-6-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

Socialized medicine will be cost - benefit, to be real short about that if you are found to have cancer and only 6 months to live, some bureaucrat up in Washington will decide whether or not it is cost effective for them to provide treatment for you to live.

what is your option if you have no health coverage? the cost will fall on the tax payers in someway.

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

Also, printing more money is going to cause hyperinflation. Of course it doesn't surprise me though people that want socialized medicine in the US would rather live on the street and be taxed out of house and home just so they can be able to go to the doctor anytime they wish.

Socialized medicine is not that answer. We can't afford it its as simple as that.

you would think the bailouts passed out since last year would have had this effect already. we couldnt afford to bailout the banks or auto industry , yet we still managed too.

So I will not put my hopes too high on this venture yet, not with the nation economic crisis.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by marg6043]

what about the crisis that is 40+ million people without healthcare .

some type of universal health care will be passed. i think our best bet is keeping big pharm and big insurance out of the process.

i care more for the millions of uninsured kids in this country then their profits.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by elitegamer23]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Still until the financial crisis is not corrected any of Obama plan will not have enough funding to work.

And yes 6.7 million unemployed (13 including the illegal immigrants) and not light at the end of the tunnel yet with job grow as we are not longer a nation with an industrial base to support middle class, Taxable income slowing down to the point that the government either have to raise taxes (states are doing already) or keep printing money (this will collapse the bond market and the dollar) I will say that Obama will have to start looking for more alternatives to finance his programs and to cut spending.

But as we have seen with only a few month in government he already has expanded government at a faster rate than Bush did.

Now let see what we are supposed to do? yes, give health care to all, but will congress open their wallet? I think that the Federal Reserve already has warned the Government that it needs to cut its spending as it is.

Wanting to do something and be able to do it are two different things.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

what is your option if you have no health coverage? the cost will fall on the tax payers in someway.

But at least you live. Under socialized medicine you'll be left to die. Also, you want to change the whole system, instead of going after the real people that cause health care to inflate you want to cure a headache with a shotgun.

you would think the bailouts passed out since last year would have had this effect already. we couldnt afford to bailout the banks or auto industry , yet we still managed too.

Inflation doesn't happen over night, the effect of the stimulus and bailouts haven't even begun to get started to affect us yet. You don't even have the slightest how economics works.

what about the crisis that is 40+ million people without healthcare .

some type of universal health care will be passed. i think our best bet is keeping big pharm and big insurance out of the process.

i care more for the millions of uninsured kids in this country then their profits.

40+ without health care is counting all the illegal immigrants, and people that don't want health insurance. The real number of people that can't afford health care is around 12 million

Big Pharma and Big Insurance will never be out of he process. It's funny how people think that the same politicians that are paid off by these companies that are writing this bill automatically assume that they will have no say in this.

You care more about the kids having health care than you do for them having a home to live in. Currently people are getting taxed out of theirs homes because of states increasing their tax rates.

But hey even though if they live on the street when they eat a spoiled sandwich out of the garbage can and get food poisoning at least they can go to the doctor and get treated.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

People doesn't get it, my friend, while I agree that we need some type of health insurance for those that can not afford it the plans that are been proposed have all the markings of big pharma and the insurance business in it they have the most paid lobbyist in Washington.

Still people doesn't know that before Obama was actually working on this health care he had closed doors meeting with the biggest health insurance in the nation, we will never find out what the meeting was all about.

So much for transparency.

Sorry to say this but Big pharma and the health care insurance business are here to stay and keep funneling money to the whores in Washington to be very nice to them.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

People doesn't get it, my friend, while I agree that we need some type of health insurance for those that can not afford it the plans that are been proposed have all the markings of big pharma and the insurance business in it they have the most paid lobbyist in Washington.

Still people doesn't know that before Obama was actually working on this health care he had closed doors meeting with the biggest health insurance in the nation, we will never find out what the meeting was all about.

So much for transparency.

Sorry to say this but Big pharma and the health care insurance business are here to stay and keep funneling money to the whores in Washington to be very nice to them.

The cold hard facts of life is all it is. The sooner the young people with an entitlement mentality learn that you have to earn your way in life to have a better quality life then things will change.

I do agree though we need some kind of health reform, but it's more than Big Pharma and Big Insurance effecting the cost of health care. People don't seem to realize that there are lots of other factors that contribute to higher health care costs. Such as lawyers. The ambulance chasers are the worst.

Oh well, hopefully this won't pass in fact this is what Obama is proposing now.... higher taxes on the rich.

new topics

top topics

join