It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010 FIFA World Cup thread

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Now now children, play nicely!

I really believe that this is England's moment...but many thing's can go wrong.

The group stage fixtures are a farce for all the teams and fans.
England's first game is in Rustenburg followed by an 811mile trek to Cape Town then a 470mile trip to Port Elizabeth.

A group of us were considering going but is just going to be too much of a ball ache...we are now going to do a fortnight in Benidorm watching it, far cheaper and probably much, much safer!

I just hope we get to play and beat Argentina at some point!

Oh, and as for all the comments about Ireland and Henry etc, I would just like to say why not all the rumpus when Maradonna cheated England out of the World Cup?
I feel sorry for Ireland...but that's football.
Yes it has shown Henry up for being a cheat, like Maradonna but I seem to recall the Irish ridiculing England after 'The Hand Of God' incident.

It is interesting to compare the difference in reactions by all concerned.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I just hope we get to play and beat Argentina at some point!

Meah they're a no brainer this time round, ah the falklands all over again!

I have to say i cant remember laughing so hard as Maradonnas outburst after his last qualifying match that got him banned for 2 months coaching....get him mother land!

momento24.com...

[edit on 6-12-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Of course The Falklands had a big and lasting effect on me and most of my generation.
But there is more to it.

Rattin. England V Argentina Quarter Final. 1966 World Cup.

Maradonna. England V Argentina. 1986 World Cup.

Diego Simeone. England V Argentina. Quarter Final. 1998 World Cup.

Despite having some very talented individuals Argentina look a poorly organised team at present and struggled to qualify fielding 38 players in their 8 qualifying games.

Unfortunately the way the draw is it looks highly unlikely that we will meet our old foe's.

[edit on 7/12/09 by Freeborn]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

And that's all I'll say about that!

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Fave's have got to be the Brazilians. They're just so damned good.

I will, of course, be rooting for the United States. Could surprise...

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
Fave's have got to be the Brazilians. They're just so damned good.

I will, of course, be rooting for the United States. Could surprise...

Spain are the favourites for me.

They broke their duck in the Euro's, and now that they know how to win it could be their time.

There's a school of thought that reckons the Euro's are harder to win...

Not sure myself, but I can see the point.

On their day, spain can beat anyone, and with their midfield and forwards they have a great chance.
A little vulnerable at the back, but I can't name a team who are THAT strong defensively.
Well organised, yes, but just not that strong.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
[edit on 12-12-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Gotta wonder about Spain though, when an obviously inferior side such as the US can utterly dominate them...they're missing a "something", IMHO... Though the US isn't as inferior as they once were, they're still not a match for a top Euro side, or South American side, as was shown against Brazil.

My top three teams:

Brazil
England
(and because I'm a inveterate homeboy)United States.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

In fairness, Spain looked on that tourney as an encumberance and had one eye on the beach IMO

I know they can be fragile, but they definitely have the best all round squad.

best goalie, best midfield and best strikers - not bad at the back, but not great either.

Iniesta and Xavi are about the best central pairing around, and with Torres and Villa up front, they will be a real force.

Don't fancy Englands chances - Argentina have the players, but not the coach...
Germany always do well.

Brazil are a good side, but I would still fancy spain...

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
So good N.Z is finally in again, was at the qualifying match and it was awesome. Chanting my lungs out.

Though we probably won't have much a chance of getting into second round, we're there. I wish we got in the same pool as Greece, definitely gonna be my second team. But it will boil down to Brazil, Spain or Germany. I don't think Italy has got enough in them to get it again.

And that match I wanna see most of all is England vs. U.S, but dream match would be N.Z and Aussie in the final. Virtually impossible for it to happen, but if it did, boy..

your just a bunch of convicts.....

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Im only posting this so that its later seen how precognition really works.

100% certainty that one of these teams will win:

Spain
Germany
Ghana

[edit on 16-12-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Im only posting this so that its later seen how precognition really works.

100% certainty that one of these teams will win:

Spain
Germany
Ghana

interested in your prediction of Ghana, they have only ever bet one team in their current pool, Australia, but Australia has won against them the most.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by lepracornman

Its not how they performed in the past but their current level of maturity. You have teams that mature over time, also agewise (not too young not too old) where you feel they are "ready" for it.

Actually, they may not win the finals but be one of those "surprise teams" like Croatia many years ago and South Korea last time. Quarterfinals at the very least.

You wont find the stats to back up my claim, lets just wait and see.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

One hardly needs precog skills to highlight the obvious chances Spain and Germany have.

Ghana will NOT win it!

Having had a look at the draw I suspect England will meet Brazil in one semi-final and suprisingly, Germany will meet either Spain or Italy in the other.
Anything can happen after that.

If anyone is looking for an outsider I think you could do a lot worse than Uruguay or Mexico.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
One of the major reasons why an African team has never won it is not the lack of players, but the lack (or seeming lack) of discipline in crucial area's.

Centre backs charging forwards, sitting midfielders not sitting etc etc.

however they have improved a LOT in their discipline, so I feel it's only a matter of time before an african nation wins it.

It won't be this time around though.

I can't see any team outside the seeds getting to the semi's, and once you get to that stage anyone can win it.

I'm still going for Spain, with Brazil as my 2nd choice and England as my outsider - because IMO they are outsiders...

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Its not how they performed in the past but their current level of maturity. You have teams that mature over time, also agewise (not too young not too old) where you feel they are "ready" for it.

Actually, they may not win the finals but be one of those "surprise teams" like Croatia many years ago and South Korea last time. Quarterfinals at the very least.

You wont find the stats to back up my claim, lets just wait and see.

Very right, those were my second thoughts, I do like African talent, very technical. We had a player in the A-League, Edmundo Zura, Ecuadorian International, he was very entertaining to watch, definitely my favourite player, am pretty sad his team New Castle Jets screwed up with him. I would fish out a video of him, but most of them a terrible quality.

Biggest surprise is gonna be New Zealand, taking the gold.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Good Luck my Kiwi Cousin! I will be baracking for NZ except against oz and Germany ( West Germany was my team in the 70s and 80s before croatia and OZ got to play).

And sometimes I secretly turn against my own country if the competition is hot enough, eg) Carlos Spencer World Cup Rugby, I secretly wanted him to have the ball at all times so the camera was on him......

[edit on 16-12-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Lets dream the biggest dream.

Aus Vs. N.Z for Final of the World Cup.

My first borns birth would pale in comparison to that.

After N.Z gets knocked, I'll see who's left, second teams would be Aus or Greece, easily heh.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Bud, I have absolutely no doubt that an African nation will win The World Cup one day.
Unfortunately at present, as you point out, they lack discipline along with strength in depth and consistency.

Until African nations invest in strong development programmes at grass roots levels and strong national leagues and continental competitions they will not reach the required level.

Anyone with any talent is immediately shipped out to a European team.
In addition some of these end up playing for their host nations.

However, the simple fact that we are discussing the African nations is proof of how far they have advanced in recent years and for once FIFA should be commended on their efforts in making football the one truly world wide sport.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Not sure how many of you chaps use it but these are some good football sites..

Castrol football index

Has a predictor for world cup, fairly fair indication, but just stats and performances in the end.

Fifa international site

Just international site for Fifa.

I look at Fifa more than castrol, but it kills time for the regular football nutter like me ^^

Recently saw Auckland FC a total amateur club beat the top African Club TP Mazembe. i really hope football can get on par with rugby in this country. Roughly reaped $2.5 million NZD from Fifa this year for qualifying and coming 5th in Club World cup, which is just fantastic.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join