It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010 FIFA World Cup thread

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by atlasastro

He stopped a goal from being scored with his arm..... There is no debating it.
I can debate it dude.
The goal was denied, yes. But you are inferring intent from the ball hitting the man. Kewell is allowed to move to stop the ball, what Kewell cannot do is deliberately handle the ball to stop a goal.

Seriously, It was deliberate handball.
Whatever dude. Where did his hand hit the ball.
And show me the FIFA law that states that the upper arm is hand ball.

Handball doesn't have to be the hand you know? It can be the arm too.... as we just saw.

Actually, the FIFA state

Law XII - Fouls and Misconduct
• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity
by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within
his own penalty area)

Fifa Laws

Harry Kewell did not deliberately handle the ball.
Handle

1. To touch, lift, or hold with the hands.
2. To operate with the hands; manipulate.

FIFA use the term HANDLE, for a reason. So that it is not open to interpretation in relation to other parts of the body.

Yet that is what we got.

So, actually, a player does have to HANDle the ball. And in a deliberate fashion.
It was Harry's location that as last defender that was ruled as being indicative of his intent.

Referee's normally look for the player's arm positions and ask, was that players arm in a normal position or not in relation to the ball.
Kewell looks like a defender moving laterally along the line, his eyes are even closed!
WTF.
Were is the intent.
This is what sucks about FIFA's vague Law 12.

That is why we have accidental hand balls that do not get penalties or even any kind of card. Because in general play the location does not get confused with the intent of the player when the ball hits in or around the arms.
umpire.

Go Australia.

[edit on 19/6/10 by atlasastro]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   

You are wrong, do you even watch football regularly?

'Umpire' :shk:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Exactly.... anyone who actually watches football more than once every four years Knows that was a handball.... and he should have been sent off, and that's what happened.

End of story.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

#$%@ watching it dude.
I played for years. Including variations like indoor and Futsal.
All through my junior years for club and schools as well as playing for my faculty at University.
But, yeah. I watch it.

Dude, this has been debated for ages.
What a hand ball means. Because we see interpretation like that all the time, we see them missed or ignored or ruled on right across a spectrum dude. If you watched football, you would know that.

Anyway, we got a draw.

Allow me my Bias( Come on dude, its the fricken world cup).

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

You can debate it but probably shouldn't.... you have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't need to go digging around for definitions of handball....

It's from the tip of the finger to the top of the shoulder... and if you deliberately use any part of your arm, It's handball.

He made no attempt to move his arm out of the way, he actually moved it towards the ball.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

You can debate it but probably shouldn't.... you have no idea what you're talking about.
Then don't reply Blup.

I don't need to go digging around for definitions of handball....
Maybe you should, Because I used the definition to show that you don't know the rule. You are just used to seeing a ruling based on the players location, which is why I point out that this is what the ref uses to base the player's intent on. You accept that ruling.
As this is my team, I don't accept it.

It's from the tip of the finger to the top of the shoulder... and if you deliberately use any part of your arm, It's handball.
No. The Law is specific. That is your interpretation. Which is why in different locations on the field, the ruling is completely different. If you watched football, you would know that.

He made no attempt to move his arm out of the way, he actually moved it towards the ball.
The ruling does not state that.
You don't know what you are talking about. Kewell has every right to be there.
The rule is IF HE DELIBERATELY moves to handle the ball. Not of he deliberately does not move.

That is the rule.

I'll ask you again to point out were the rule states this. I mean, after all, you know dude.

FIFA don't state that. So its open to interpretation.
Just point it out.
Dave Ellery used to state that he looked for unnatural positions in relation to player movement, but what does an old EPL ref know.

Again. My national bias will stand up to you constant irrational approach to my irrational national bias.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Well we'll leave it at that.... The referee thought he moved his arm towards the ball, which he did, the video I linked shows that... and the ref gave a penalty and sent him off, which was the correct decision.

What me or you or anyone else thinks is irrelevant.... the ref was in charge and he made the decision to send him off.

It's harsh man but at least you got a draw dude.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Agreed.

Its cool.
The entire country of Australia will agree with me, so I will accept your view.

Anyway, I'm off to bed. Got a my bon voyage BBQ tomorrow before I travel to Europe to Watch the Tour de France.

Night all.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Holland has qualified itself as the first team for the knock out stage.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Please, OH Mighty Football God, please let there be more than 1 goal tomorrow!!

Otherwise Ill be boring and start watching the tennis on Monday... Not.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
edited

[edit on 19/6/2010 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Sorted via U2U

[edit on 20/6/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
How about New Zealand vs Italy then? In your face Azuri!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunken Drum
How about New Zealand vs Italy then? In your face Azuri!

New Zealand: Kings of the draw.

Was down at our local football pub for it just half hour ago. You would not hear a louder noise after that draw. this is unbelievable so far. Holding italy down like that was fantastic. Realistically we don't stand a chance in hell at winning the actual thing, but we've already won something else, sense of pride and knowing our football team is able to trouble the likes of Italy.

Biggest upset of world cup to date, that is match wise.

The biggest upset overall would be France, Ireland shoulda been there instead.

Smeltzy, you are forgiven.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by lepracornman

Congratulations a great result. If England could show half the passion of New Zealand i'd be happy. New Zealand are playing with part timers in their team which is amazing.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Well done Kiwis!

Love your work Bros

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Shocking day of sport!
Thats mad, didnt they say New Zealand was ranked 78th in the world..?
And they managed a draw with the current world champions.. mad! But in a good way of-course!

And then Kaka... What would Jesus think?
I know the other fella cheated and won an Oscar for the rolling around but come on.. The last 10 minutes of that game got pretty heated! Someone was gonna have an early bath.

And not to mention the 2nd goals double hand ball!.... Ugh..

At least there where a few more goals today.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

If England could show half the passion of New Zealand i'd be happy.
Isn't that the truth? Watching them run round like a gaggle of geese against Algeria was horrible: out of position, no discernable plan to get any service forward & just not committed. I swear it reminded me of sunday league at the park.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I dont know if i'm just being negative, but England have looked like one of the poorest performing teams in the world cup. I think we'll be on our way home on Wednesday. I hope I'm wrong, but the team have not displayed anything positive in their 2 games.

They all want to stop moaning about being bored in their hotels and concentrate on pleasing not only the fans who've probably racked up a hefty credit card bill following England to S Africa, but also the people at home who are relying on our national team to man up and bring some cheer back to England.

Its time to stop casting blame, stop making excuses and strap a pair on.

It's a good job our British Army doesn't crumble under the pressure of fighting in Afghanistan, having to live in cramped barracks, being paid a tiny fraction of the England players.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Having put my rose tinted glasses on and letting my heart rule my head I can say with conviction that England will do what is expected of them against Slovenia and go on to perform respectably in the tournament.

Rule us out at your peril!

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join