It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars - Sol 676 - Black Box?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Let us not get carried away with calling it a "square box" argument. First, we only see three sides of it. so half of it is hidden from us. Second, it doesn't look exactly square either.

I wonder if someone can overexpose the end facing the camera. It looks like it may have a lighter line across it center which is keeping with its apparent rectangular configuration. Perhaps that is just an illusiion caused by an little niche on the right side? But also, is there not a darker, oblong "mail slot" above that mythical mark? You know, you stare at these things too long and dancing naked women will reveal themselves.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by amazing
reply to post by badmedia

Whoa where was that pic taken? I would never think that was a natural formation!

That's the Giant's Causeway in Ireland. A fascinating formation.

Wiki for Giant's Causeway.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
im an amateur astronomer, going on 20 yeasr now,a nd have done LOTS of planetary geology in my free time..studying up close pictures of satellites, planets...and not one picture ever taken form mars, venus, mercury, moon, or any planetary satellite ever revelaed a square shaped rock...ever.. that object is not of martian naturalism..it appers to have a cover on it, notice the lip extending jsut over the lid...
and the chord, as wa pointed, runing form the ground to this box..i dont belive it was part of the ladner or anything..unless the rover had to drop something..which is very unlikely.
It isnt martian material, tht is for sure, dare i say fact!

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
maybe send this pic to NASA or JEt propulsion laboratory, see if they wanna answer this or not...if they dont wanna answer it, clearly thier hidiing something.. or if they give yuo some knida fake answer...aka light bouncing off the thin martian atmosphere can make things appear odd... crazy answers like that.. it would obviously mean, of alien origin then.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
What about the front end of the "cord?" Doesn't it look like it come through the triangular chunk of rock--a former wall--and then curves around? Not unlike what we could expect from something that was torn apart. Cables can be largly unscathed when about every thing else--except maybe stout little boxes--is destroyed.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Not being an expert, I'm in good company here. The photos were taken from the Gusev crater which could mean that we are looking at two or more types of rock, with one type being the introduced ejecta from some ancient meteor impact. Following that line of thought, our "box" may very well have a high metallic content of nickel, or iron, or it could be a glassy by-product of the heat and pressure created at the time of impact, not unlike obsidian. Add to that untold eons of wind and possibly water erosion...and well you have an ATS thread.

See the OP link and review the photos for a more complete understanding of the surroundings.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Ok , well i deffinetly think it may not be a rock and do at the same time..
I don't think its a rock , because it really does resemble a box or a power module of some sort. It looks like maybe a guage in the middle of the box. Like to measure an electrical current or something.. and it looks like it may have a lid , look at the far edge , it looks as if it over laps. and the cord , wow. That really shocked me , i have never seen a rock formation like that..

And , i believe its a rock because. Of course nothing could live on mars right , ? LOL

Deffinetly something other than a rock i think

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
What is interesting and leads to the conclusion that it is NOT a natural formation is the fact that it is the only square object in this picture and area. It clearly stands out.

If you look at the picture of the Giant's Causeway, the whole area is like that. So, it is a natural formation in this specific area.

You always have to see things in relation to its surrounding.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Its a microwave i knew ovens would be obsolete in thew future
no really is interesting tho and vip867 that is an interesting picture i never knew that crystals formed such square formations nice pic none the less should be looked into more. especially since its on mars.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by vze2xjjk

Interesting. There is something to it.
Could you post the link the the whole picture in its original state; without your edits.
Thanks.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
It's still probably a natural formation... about 50.1%

Something about the cord running behind it makes me go
though.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegreatobserver
What is interesting and leads to the conclusion that it is NOT a natural formation is the fact that it is the only square object in this picture and area. It clearly stands out.

Other rocks in the vicinity have similar characteristics, it's not like it's totally different from other rocks nearby.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
It could be a rock. There could be cleavage planes or even mighty large crystal boundaries. We can't say for certain that it isn't, but there are many instances of these geometric rocks abounding. I've seen a good number and even gave one on my desk as a paper weight.

Natural formations can be 'precise' amd 'defined'

De Nile ain't just a river in Egypt

It is clearly a lost Rubik's cube

haha im just messin with ya

Mod Note: Please stay on Topic – Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Jun 8 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The very first images from Mars in the 1960's had more anomalies than just The Face.

For example, Mariner 4, Frame 11:

That's a 5km object at the upper right of the large crater.

This box of yours is very cool. Thanks

[edit on 8-6-2009 by Chakotay]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Further image analysis shows it must be the Autobots' lost AllSpark.

In all seriousness, good find.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destroyed
It definitely looks out of the ordinary mostly because it's perfectly shaped. I'd love to know what it was. It could be an ancient device or who knows? whatever it is I sincerely doubt it's a rock.

But this mode of thinking just flies into the face of all reason and logic.

Why would you "sincerely doubt it's a rock" when that is most likely what it is? There are odd shaped rocks all over the earth. They do look odd and out of place.. But they are all rocks. It is likely that we will come across similar oddly-shaped rocks on other worlds, eventually, since the geologic processes that produced them are certainly not unique to our planet.

Yes, I admit that at some level, beyond our ability to understand the natural world, Occums Razor falls apart. But it would still apply to situations like this.

A likelihood is by no means a certainty. But you still have to consider the statistical likelihoods here.. Not just what you think it might be because of what you believe.

-ChriS

[edit on 8-6-2009 by BlasteR]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
So people think that's a "plug" or "cable" running to the so called box?

*That's* the natural assumption then? It can't be anything but a cable??

Looks more like the edge/lip of a large stone that has worn away through years of erosion and had dust/sand fill up the gaps and edge to make it look like there's a cable.

You see one thing you want to see and suddenly lots of other things start to look like things to help support that thing you wanted to see in the first place

So, what's more likely here? Is it a piece of some alien structure/object that has been left behind in a spot where nothing else (apart from your "cable") matches the same look and feel? Or is it a naturally occuring piece of stonework that due to the image, looks out of place and 'unnatural' ?

Hey, I'd love for it to be an alien Shreddies box or the battery from an advance space jalopy. But chances are, it ain't.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
check this one out i found.

i729.photobucket.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

thats not a box .why would say it looks like a box, when it looks way
more like a tire. i'd say N-50 torque twister . like the ones on my
64 el camino.

new topics

top topics