It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to put N. Korea back on 'terror list'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

US to put N. Korea back on 'terror list'

www.presstv.ir

The US is mulling over a decision to put North Korea back on its list of states harboring terror, while Seoul unveiled plans to counter a possible attack by Pyongyang.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Sunday that several senators had asked President Barack Obama to put North Korea back on its list of countries that sponsor terrorism, from which it was removed in October 2008.

"Well, we're going to look at it…There's a process for it. Obviously we would want to see recent evidence of their support for international terrorism," she told ABC television.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Wow, that would be a very bad move IMO.

What are they thinking. If they put NK back on that list, then I am sure little kimmy will scream war and start some real aggression.

Being on that list is a very big detriment to any country.

Also on Sunday, South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) briefed President Lee Myung-Bak on plans for a huge counter-attack on North Korea should Pyongyang fire missiles at Seoul's navy ships.

"North Korea's firing of ground-to-ship missiles at our navy ships would prompt counter-attacks simultaneously from surface, air and sea," JCS chairman Kim Tae-Young had told Lee, according to AFP.

Seems they are already ready for anything NK would throw at them. This would be a death sentence on their part.

Perhaps they want to edge them on.

Thoughts?

~Keeper

www.presstv.ir
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Hey thanks for posting this I was going to but...

I think there is another breaking story already posted covering this.

Since that one sunk.

Imagine that, Obamas administration is once again picking up GWBs banner. I knew that once he got so sit behind the BIG DESK things like the promises he said during the campaign would change.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Can't you just see the headlines. "North Korea attack South Korea. U.S declares WAR!!!".

I've often wondered if there would be a World War in my time and each day it seems more and more likely.

Scary isn't it?

I personally agree and believe this is a bad move on behalf of the U.S

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Destroyed

Can't you just see the headlines. "North Korea attack South Korea. U.S declares WAR!!!"

no man...just...no.

My heart will sink if that happens.

Let's hope it doesn't for all of our sakes.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Yes, let us all hope that war doesn't break out over this.

I have to admit though, the US is seemingly pushing for aggression. I mean they could just stop vessels, search them and impose sanctions. I think NK would just do more arm flailing over that.

However, putting them on the Terror list is a step I think Kim won't like very much at all. That's a tarnishing of his "perfect" image he has of himself.

Nobody wants to be known as a terrorist nation. Especially not a crazy person like him.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I certainly hope I never see those headlines or anything that relates to that. The world isn't perfect. It's far from it but at least if the U.S don't attack N. Korea we'll have a little more peace.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I have to admit though, the US is seemingly pushing for aggression. I mean they could just stop vessels, search them and impose sanctions. I think NK would just do more arm flailing over that.

This is why the move in biting at my nerves. Everyone knows NK is a threat for war...but why give them a label? They DON"T NEED ONE.

Does calling them a terrorist nation put certain sanctions on them? What is the point of it..I don't know if that's true or not but if someone knows post it.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
I mean they could just stop vessels, search them and impose sanctions. I think NK would just do more arm flailing over that.

But stopping and searching those ships would be an act of war, North Korea has already declared that.

Also MORE Sanctions?

That last 30 or so years has been nothing but sanctions. The only thing sanctions do is hurt little Kimmy's people but it doesn't matter because he doesn't care if his own people starve as long as he has his nukes and missiles

[edit on 7-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Calling North Korea a state sponsor of terror is not a fabrication. North Korea has been responsible for some high-profile terrorist attacks in the past and are still capable of carrying such attacks out.

As for the U.S. looking for a fight, it is North Korea that has constantly threatened the South all these years, not the U.S.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

"State Sponsors of Terrorism" is a designation applied by the United States Department of State to nations who are designated by the Secretary of State "to have repeatedly provided support for acts of international terrorism."[1] Inclusion on the list imposes strict sanctions.

Source

As of 2006
Important Topic Updates
, there are several United States embargoes and sanctions in force by the United States against several countries and activities, the most notable of which is the US sanctions and embargoes against the countries the federal government of the United States considers state sponsors of terrorism.

Some sanctions imposed by the United States government are:

No arms-related exports
Controls over dual-use exports
Restrictions on economic assistance
Financial restrictions
US opposes loans by the World Bank and similar institutions
Diplomatic immunity waived to allow families of terrorist victims to file for civil damages in US courts
Tax credits denied for income earned in listed countries
Duty-free goods exemption suspended for imports from those countries
Authority to prohibit a US citizen from engaging in financial transactions with the government on the list without a license from the US government.
Prohibition of Defense Department contracts above $100,000 with companies controlled by countries on the list.

Source
Thats the general jist of it.

~Keeper extra DIV

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
As for the U.S. looking for a fight, it is North Korea that has constantly threatened the South all these years, not the U.S.

We all know what N. Korea has been up to for years. They've been all talk and no action but the Americans adding them to this list with such an unstable relationship as of late could finally push them over the edge.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You're right about that.

There is no ammount of sanctions that will really bother Kim, other than the ones that prevent him from dealing arms, or receiving money.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destroyed

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo

We all know what N. Korea has been up to for years. They've been all talk and no action but the Americans adding them to this list with such an unstable relationship as of late could finally push them over the edge.

Firing missiles towards Japan and popping off nukes left and right is "No Action"?????

[edit on 7-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sweatmonicaIdo

I will agree that the NK does deserve to be on that list. They have been a formidable force in pushing extremist ideals and in arms dealing.

But as the above poster said, this could throw Kimmy into a frenzy. I just don't think this level of diplomatic agression will get them anywhere.

Hillary likes to play hard ball, but I think she might get a run for her money with this one.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Firing missiles towards Japan and popping off nukes left and right is "No Action"?????

I meant against South Korea

Well not much action anyway

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Again I'm not trying to sound like a war monger but I think the US and the world opinion has this whole thing backwards.

We invaded Iraq under the false pretence of them have WMD.

BUT...

We don't do a damn thing about a country that does have WMD?

It just goes to show how far my country has fallen we invade Iraq to rescue the OIL but let the North Koreans starve under a madman....

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Very true statement made.
God only knows what the U.S or N. Korea is planning it's probably only matter of time till the dogs stop barking and start biting.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yikes.

Wouldn't that only make them more keen to starting a war?

The sanctions are nasty!

I don't like this move...not one bit. I think it makes the situation worse. Here's hoping China's recent dislike of their actions has an influence.

I wonder if we had stayed of out the Korean war if this current situation would be different?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Those are some hardcore sanctions alright.

As far as our involvement in the Korean war, I think it would have played out just the same. It's not like we won or anything.

NK doesn't really have a grudge, not against us in particular. I think Kimmy dissaproves of EVERYBODY just as equally. Although he perhaps harbous a little more hatred for the South.

~Keeper

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3 >>

join