It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Hypnotise' your patient, surgeons told

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

'Hypnotise' your patient, surgeons told

www.guardian.co.uk

Doctors should be taught to hypnotise patients not to feel pain instead of using general anaesthetics during some operations, the Royal Society of Medicine will be told today. In what he has described as a "clarion call to the British medical profession", Professor David Spiegel, of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences at Stanford University in the US, will also call on the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (Nice) to add hypnotherapy to its list of approved therapeutic techniques for the treatment of conditions ranging from allergies and high blood pressure to the pain associated with bone marrow transplantation, cancer treatment, and anaesthesia for liver biopsy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-6-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Although this might seem controversial on the surface, this is a pretty exciting development within an often misunderstood facet of the power of the human mind.

Imagine if future surgeons were trained to put patients under prior to operations, not with heavy anaesthetics which have the potential for severe and sometimes deadly side effects, but by using the power of the patients own mind to reach a trance state in which pain acknowledgement is disassociated and blocked entirely.

Hypnosis is one POWERFUL tool for those who are open to and receptive to it.

This is a fascinating subject and something to keep an eye on IMHO.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
While I am skeptic of it's effectiveness... I will be interested to see where this goes.

Being one of the few persons who have had to go through the horror ofAnesthesia awareness, or being awake during an operation, I think any effort made to make the slim chance of that happening even slimmer just great.

If you dont know what Anesthesia awareness is...

Anesthesia awareness, or "unintended intra-operative awareness" occurs during general anesthesia, on the operating table, when a patient has not had enough general anesthetic or analgesic to prevent consciousness or waking up during surgery.
*SNIP*
The most traumatic case of anesthesia awareness is full consciousness during surgery with pain and explicit recall of intraoperative events. In less severe cases, patients may have only poor recollection of conversations, events, pain, pressure or of difficulty in breathing.

The experiences of patients with anesthesia awareness vary widely, and patient responses and sequelae vary widely as well. This experience may be extremely traumatic for the patient or not at all.

Because the medical staff may not know if a person is unconscious or not, it has been suggested that the staff maintain the professional conduct that would be appropriate for a conscious patient.

My experience was one I never wish to have to go through again. Unable to move and feeling the entire operation. Pain and all.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
In this writers opinion, In the late 40's, hypnosis was systematically demonized and depopularized while at the same time it was being militarized and turned into a covert operations technique. Do a search for "Death in the Mind" - which is an out of print account of hypnosis used for covert operations based on the classified work done by a Dr Estabrooks for the OSI. Some fascinating source materials are available linked from THIS PAGE

top topics

join