It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Many Iraqis Dismiss High-Priced U.S. Media Campaign as Propaganda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

A High-Priced Media Campaign That Iraqis Aren

www.washingtonpost.com

BAGHDAD -- The pages of Baghdad Now, an Arabic-language newspaper, portray a country on the upswing.

The paper's editorials hail democracy. Fashion pages chronicle the latest fads in Beirut and Kuwait. There's little news of the more than 130,000 American troops who remain in the country.

That the paper has no publicly known editor, no bylines and no ads is no mistake. It is part of America's huge psychological warfare campaign to influence Iraqis' behavior and attitudes.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-6-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This is a 3-page article.

U.S. military officials and contractors have spent hundreds of millions of dollars on billboards, pamphlets and TV and radio airtime in Iraq over the past six years to burnish the U.S. military's image, marginalize extremists, promote democracy and foster reconciliation.

Some campaigns have been designed to encourage Iraqis to turn their backs on insurgent groups and cooperate with the U.S. military and Iraq's security forces. Others have loftier themes: democratic values, sectarian reconciliation and national pride.

This is utterly disgusting.
American taxpayer money is used in the most disgusting ways in a very increasing extent.

This is modern disgusting colonial pyschological warfare.

In 2004, reeling from the Abu Ghraib prisoner-abuse scandal and wrestling a burgeoning insurgency, the U.S. military hired public relations firms -- including some that were apparently established to compete for the contracts -- to improve its image.

Yet people will continue to say this war, stuff happens.

NO, this is NOT war!
Marketing to brainwash foreign nations has nothing to do with war, it is simply imperialism.

"There's no talk of the atrocities committed by the local police or the people who have spent years in prison" without being formally charged, Nadmi said.

Gives you an painting of what is happening domestically doesn't it?

It's funny that the "support the troops" groups will say this is a good thing or a necessary one but will scrutinize it as it happens domestically in the United States.

Very similar to labelling some as "islamic terroists" and many believing it, to the DHS now saying 90% of the american population are potential terroists, even veterans who fought for this country.

These "support the troops" group are truly stuck in a paradox.

"All Iraqis know that these organizations are supported" by the U.S. government "with the aim of normalizing the occupation," said Abdul Kareem Ahmad, a lawyer in Salahuddin province. "I say to the Future Iraq organization: If those funds had been given to the poor and the widows, Iraq would have become a pioneer in social welfare. Millions of dollars go into the pockets of war profiteers who believe victory in Iraq can be won through the media using underground movies."

Again, same thing is applicable back home.

When will people wake up?

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Uhh...more iraqi v. U.S. Bull. I'm just tired of this crap, it is all so stupid. I don't care about these petty squables anymore, just **** both sides!

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Does it really surprise you when they do it so effortlessly in America?

I'm glad the Iraqis are not stupid.

Edit: Wow my grammar is bad today.

[edit on 6/7/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I can't say I am really surprised. There aren't that many nations other than the industrial ones who actually believe anything we say.

They haven't been bred in this type of dis-information society. They know to question things and to think critically about subjects presented to them. It is not the way we do things in countries such as the US, Canada or the UK.

I am very glad that the Iraqi population is aware of this issue, and hopefully the independant media/newspapers will become the dominant force in those communities.

Regardless of how violent some of the extremists are, they're message of self governance, religious freedom and the need for industrialized nations to stay out of their business is correct.

I don't agree with the way they go about educating the people, killing is wrong regardless of what you are saying.

But the message is something people should take notice of.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Spot on.

I too am glad that the Iraqis aren't just mindless sheep with IQs slashed to pieces my pointless distractions.
And what's with the desire to homogenise the world, forcing everyone to live an americanised lifestyle that people supposedly 'aspire' to? They don't, they're just made to think they do.
One of the most insidious and disgusting forms of brainwashing I can think of.

Let the Iraqis do their own thing, the majority want free governance, and all that goes with it. The way it's being pressed upon them is way too heavy handed. Democracy through the barrel of a gun, or worse, the boob-tube.
Iraq is in a very delicate transition phase at the moment, and needs to evolve in its own way.

new topics

top topics

join