It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you greet an extraterrestrial?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
How do you greet an extraterrestrial?

The Bay Area-based SETI Institute, dedicated to the search for alien life, is asking space enthusiasts around the world to think about what we should say if we ever get a cosmic phone call.

The SETI Institute, the world's best-known organization dedicated to the search for alien life, recently unveiled plans to scan a million stars over 10 billion communication channels at its Hat Creek radio telescope facility north of Sacramento.

Now, the private Bay Area organization has launched a companion project called Earth Speaks that asks space enthusiasts around the world to think about what we should say when, or if, we finally get that cosmic phone call.

So how do you think we should reply if we ever get a signal?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I would think we should reply in some sort of mathmatics-based tone. Anything else IMO would be a waste a probably not understood.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
If it is a gray and you do not wish to be taken and you happen to have a chance to address them before your gone .. according to alex coulier you should say this.
"It is the manner and custom that you ask my permission before entering my space"

According to Alex they are bound by certain rules and if you cite them, MOST will respect that and back down. He stressed most.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by NephraTari
If it is a gray and you do not wish to be taken and you happen to have a chance to address them before your gone...

NephraTari, that is all well and good. But this is in the context of SETI. If we were to receive a signal, how do you think we should reply?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Hmmm...

(1) "The white zone is for loading and unloading only..."
- We all know what traffic can be like at airports and we should start as we mean to go on.
(2) "Herrrrrreeeessss Johnny!"
- Let's keep it light and cheery! * Just had a thought, it may be more relevant to Jack Nicholson's portrayal of Jack Torrance in describing the natural demeanour of humankind.
(3) "Ich bin ein ausserirdische Lebensform"
- Good enough for JFK, it would show our support for alien life forms.
(4) A notable mathematical series in binary, for example, prime numbers or the Fibonacci series.
- Might be too highbrow, aliens might mistake us for well-intentioned civilised beings who spend life contemplating the higher aspects of life and the universe.
(5) "We'd like to teach the world to sing..."
- I like it, the drink of intergalactic harmony

I could go on but, let me just say this, how many times have you travelled the open road and as it gets late in the day you see a beautifully presented sign for a rest-stop and motel that promises home comfits and a decorous environment. Only upon entering the premises do you see that it is a hell-hole used by crack-addicts and motorcycle gangs bent on turning your wife to prostitution and taking turns in showing you why you shouldn't drop the soap. Welcome to Earth! Have I gone too far? I'm feeling whimsical today.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by SugarCube]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
"C'mon down, we're having a BBQ this arvo. Heard you like cows! We got lotsa beef!"

I don't think it should be a military greeting as in "identify yourselves" or a typical "we come in peace" thing.

Perhaps a simple message indicating that we are an intelligent race who are open to further communication and ultimately a formal meet and greet.

But according to some threads, governments have been having open communications with aliens for decades.

eg. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

There are already many threads on this topic. Next time do a search.
I thought this was a new topic. Not really wasting my time with seti hypotheticals when I have seen things that have left me without doubt in my mind that they are already here. SETI is a waste of time and money in my opinion and a diversion.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by NephraTari]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

There are already many threads on this topic.

There are many threads on it? An article that was posted today? I don't think so?

You did not bother reading the link, did you? There is a lot of that going around this morning.

SETI is a waste of time and money in my opinion and a diversion.

The hatred of SETI among many here is ridiculous and I have to say, idiotic. Sorry it isn't about channeling the Ashtar Command or the Galactic Federation of Light.

So, let's get this straight -- you believe that not only are we not alone but they are coming here; you believe in abductions, you believe they have made contact. you believe the absolute drivel that comes out of a huckster like Alex Collier's mouth. In fact, I am going to go out on a very strong limb here and take a guess that you believe a lot of the crap out there without so much as a question or ever put much thinking in to it.

But trying to detect the signals of extraterrestrial civilizations? Well, that's ridiculous!

[edit on 7-6-2009 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Ok first of all.. I don't "believe" anything. I said according to Alex Coulier. I did not express whether I believed him or not, just that the quote was his stance on the subject.
Second.. That we are not alone, that UFO's exist and are among us. I do not believe.. I KNOW. Knowing is not something you can take away from me with any of your sharp words or sarcasm. Try as you might... you can not embarass me into NOT knowing. I know what i have experienced and I know what we are capable of.. what I have witnessed is beyond our abilites.

So try your tactics on someone less confident in themselves. I have no doubts.

BTW a thread does not have to be made on the same day to be duplicate.
Here is the most recent thread of which yours matches www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 7-6-2009 by NephraTari]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I don't think "official" words are needed...

Just play any song from John Denver...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c7ee4b6db971.jpg[/atsimg]

That should trick them into thinking we are a benvolent, planet loving people...

After they arrive the jig will be up, but first impressions are a big deal...

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Please continue the discussion in the similiar thread.

Thank you.

Thread closed.

top topics

join