It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Mayors Pass 'Buy Canada' Resolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Guess some Canadians aren't too enthused about Obama's 'Buy American' provision in the stimulus bill. Wasn't Obama supposed to make other countries love America? I remember hearing that a lot during the elections as a primary reason to vote for Barry. Guess that's just another failure on his checklist.

Canada passes "Buy Canada" type resolution

WHISTLER, British Columbia (AP) — Canadian mayors have passed a resolution that would potentially shut out U.S. bidders from local city contracts.

The resolution is in retaliation to "Buy American" provisions in President Barack Obama's stimulus bill. Mayors voted 189-175 to approve the resolution at the Federation of Canadian Municipalities conference in Whistler, British Columbia.

The resolution says the federation should support cities that adopt policies that allow them to buy only from companies whose home countries do not impose trade restrictions against Canadian goods.

The mayors also voted to hold off on any action for 120 days while Canada is negotiating a possible compromise with the U.S. government.

Other article: Canadians angered over "Buy American" rule

[edit on 6/7/09 by Ferris.Bueller.II]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Thats a good start.
I wish the rest of Canada would follow.
Kudos to that guy for having some guts.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Thats what they should do. They should be doing this to support their country and economy rather than as a punishment to America for doing it. I believe that every country should rely on it's own resources first, before turning to foriegn countries. If it can made in your home country, then no imports should be allowed, until demand exceeds that countries ability to produce. Some call that protectionism, I call it common sense.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I hope my Canadian brothers and sisters wake up!!! Edit to say that Monsanto Canada, Wallmarts all destructive corporations must go.
I do not need bobbles and bling to feel fulfilled and I am not obese, I do not watch TV. Because I am creative, I choose to purchase goods from other creative entrepreneurs, I walk - don't drive, make my own clothes, bread and medicines, some American's that I have met have been my best teachers(I wish them plush-safe) but the military/bankster/corporate traitors have got to go!!!

(click to open player in new window)

[edit on 7-6-2009 by HulaAnglers]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The reason this is happening is because Americans now realize that all of our money leaves the country.

We have no productive jobs anymore. All we have are service and desk jobs. We make very little...and even those are leaving....Hummer anyone? Fiat?

The US is in huge trouble because there has to be a balance. There is no balance.

We are the largest debtor nation in the world. It has to change because this can no longer be sustained.

We'll see what happens. What is the unemployment rate in Canada?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
What is the unemployment rate in Canada?

I believe the current numbers are 9.4%.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Wow, blame the closest country to you.
Why are all the manufacturing jobs in foreign countries?
Because nobody wants to do them, not just because the labor is cheaper.
I can remember not so long ago Canadians were complaining about the "brain drain" of our highly skilled workers going south because there was no work here, or higher pay there.
All of a sudden the border between our two countries feels a whole lot higher and wider.
I don't like it.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Talk about a late wakeup call .... I was telling my Brother in law this was happening back in 2004, not even the Tax returns are processes in the states...... I tell you what when the American people sleep through things they sure sleep hard!!

new topics

top topics

join