It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Those Against Assisted Suicide - Have You Ever Seen Suffering?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Imaginary Reality - As a quick aside, the card system could quite easily be incorporated into the UK donor card system I think. I also think issues like these should be tackled at Secondary School, children should be educated on things like this.

RRConservative - with regard to bringing religion into this, any religion - the question should be whether or not assissted suicide is ok relevant to the patients faith or lack thereof.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Im for assisted suicide. Suffering is a uneeded torture. To be at peace is a lot better

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
Imaginary Reality - As a quick aside, the card system could quite easily be incorporated into the UK donor card system I think. I also think issues like these should be tackled at Secondary School, children should be educated on things like this.

The problem i see here is possible abuse. People being killed when they may recover after accident and the like. I would rather just get it legalised for people who are diagnosed with something horrible and are still in sound mind to decide. Sorry if that seems slightly weak.

RRConservative - with regard to bringing religion into this, any religion - the question should be whether or not assissted suicide is ok relevant to the patients faith or lack thereof.

Religion shouldn't even be near this as a large concept because not everyone has the same religion. The law should be enacted and then people can decide for themselves based on their religious beliefs. Religion has absolutely no say in such matters if we believe in the separation of church and state.

Sadly in the UK church and state are never separate.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I think legal systems may have to re-examine what is meant by 'assisted suicide'

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AbsoluteInfinite
I think legal systems may have to re-examine what is meant by 'assisted suicide'

Quite simply it is directly helping someone commit suicide. Either by taking them to a place that helps you die (like in Switzeland) or setting up apparatus so they can kill themselves.

The thing i have always found utterly stupid is that if someone sets up a syringe system to inject a lethal cocktail of drugs into someone, but that system requires the patient to activate it, the person who set it up is arrested. Why? The patient in the end made the decision! The patient clicks the button, it is their choice, so why arrest the person who set it up?

It's like if i sell a knife to someone and that person kills themselves, have i helped them kill themselves? Granted i could sell it innocently without thinking that was it's intended purpose, but still it's a murky one.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Like it or not, unfortunately (my perspective) religion will come into this, but it should be a matter between the patient and their god/minister/priest etc... I only say this as I'm sure someone will chip in with this point.

Regardless of the law, if your faith opposes it - then I guess you wouldn't do it and if your faith finds it permissible then No Argument, I'm sure a person of faith wouldn't be cruel and callous enough to impose their faith onto someone else, especially someone suffering - I think all of the faiths envelop the idea of compassion.

Sorry, but I think sooner or later someone will come in with this argument and I'm just trying to "fireproof" this as I'm strongly in support of assissted suicide.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Like it or not, unfortunately (my perspective) religion will come into this, but it should be a matter between the patient and their god/minister/priest etc... I only say this as I'm sure someone will chip in with this point.

No no you got me wrong. When i said religion plays no part in this i meant personally. The state should legalise it because the state is not supposed to favour any religion. After that it is down to personal choice, this would include your religious beliefs. Sorry if i wasn't clear.

Regardless of the law, if your faith opposes it - then I guess you wouldn't do it and if your faith finds it permissible then No Argument, I'm sure a person of faith wouldn't be cruel and callous enough to impose their faith onto someone else, especially someone suffering - I think all of the faiths envelop the idea of compassion.

My father is a catholic, his faith doesn't allow it, but once faced wth the horrible death he may have his opinion was pretty clear. Religion often is a two side story, those who follow with zeal and those who follow but can bend on some issues. The ones who can bend on the issues i find i can get along with very well. I would call them sensibly religious

Sorry, but I think sooner or later someone will come in with this argument and I'm just trying to "fireproof" this as I'm strongly in support of assissted suicide.

Thank you for doing so. I can see how my wording may not have seemed correct. I will be absolutely clear.

Everyone has the right to kill themselves, it is a basic human right. In fact it may be one of the most basic rights that goes back into time. If it is against your religion then you should be absolutely protected and no one should force you into anything. If however you decide you wish to die, then you should be allowed the same freedom of decision.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Hey, hope my post wasn't at all offensive or anything - I really think we're coming from a very similar perspective and I mean nothing other than support for your viewpoint.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

It wasn't offensive at all! sorry if i came across as aggresive. We agree on the major points and i'm absolutely fine with that. You have your religion and i absolutely respect that. I only wish that other would see it as you do. That your religion stops you from doing such a thing but it shouldn't stop others.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I'm not religious at all, I'm a staunch Atheist... I just think that (unfortunately) religion will have to come into this argument, because it is such an important factor in so many peoples lives.

Although, apparently there are now more Ikea catalogues than bibles in the world.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I'm not religious at all, I'm a staunch Atheist... I just think that (unfortunately) religion will have to come into this argument, because it is such an important factor in so many peoples lives.

Religion has no place in law, very simple way to deal with that argument. If you are against it morally because of your religion then you simply don't partake in it's practise.

Although, apparently there are now more Ikea catalogues than bibles in the world.

Well let's not turn this into religion bashing

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Totally agreed with you.

<< 1   >>

join