It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 50 Heaviest Megalithic Stones on Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Or, as the article says, "Top 50 Megaliths"

This page is Incredible. I have never seen such an amazing collection of stones in my entire life.

I have only seen a few of these, and I admit most of these locations are new to me.

I do think the guy doing the writeup on "how was this built" is pretty naive.

How would pieces of wet wood lift a 1000 ton + stone? The wood would be flattened and shattered instantly.

In fact, you wouldnt even be able to put the wood underneath the stone in the first place...thats utterly absurd.

I believe that the guy who built Coral Castle may know the TRUE secret behind these Megaliths. ( Edward Leedskalnin )

The top 50 Megaliths on Earth

www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk...

"Disputably the largest stone ever quarried, and certainly on-par with the unfinished stone at Ba'albek, Lebanon. This stone would have been taller than any obelisk ever raised.

Measures 120-feet (42m) and would have weighed over 1,168 tons when complete." -from the website

and of course

"Although the highest estimates of the unfinished stone's weight have reached an incredible 2,000 tons (7),(11), these estimates are now considered too high.

Quarry stone: (Photo Right), Measures 20.9m x 4.8m x 4.2m = 421.344m³.

'The average density of granite is 2.75 g/cm3'

Ref: (en.wikipedia.org...)

Therefore the approximate weight of this stone is 1158.696 tons."

And these are just the first two listed!

Now, im going to go spend some time looking at the next 48!
Im very happy i found this website!

So I had to share it with you guys, enjoy!

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
heres a clue i think possibly

"10) The 'Lateran' Obelisk, Rome. - Originally erected by Seti I, in the temple of Amon, Karnak. The obelisk is 106 ft high, weighs approximately 330 tons, and was once the tallest obelisk in Egypt. The Lateran obelisk had a base weighing 174 tons. (16)
In 40AD, the emperor Caligula had the stone dragged to Rome. It now stands in the square of St. John Lateran in Rome. "

"In 1586 AD, the Italian artist Domenico Fontana moved the 327-tonne Egyptian obelisk from in front of St. Peters Basilisk to the centre of the square. To achieve the necessary amount of lift, he used 40 windlasses, which necessitated a combined force of 800 men and 140 horses (14) "

I never knew about that. Utterly amazing.

If thats true, it must have been a sight to see!

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
incredible do you know how far they date back

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I was interested to see that dolmen also feature in Korea and not just in Europe.

Amazing thought.

2) Korea. - The 'Ganghwa Dolmens' Korea has the highest concentration of dolmens in the world, with over 30,000, possessing between 40% and 50% of the worlds total. The island of Ganghwa contains several dolmens, one of which has the biggest recorded stone in South Korea and measures at 2.6 x 7.1 x 5.5 meters. (101.53 m³) The Ganghwa dolmen are accredited with capstones weighing 300 tons (28) at Gochang, but there is no support for Chatelain's (13) mention of a 600 ton capstone.

[edit on 7/6/09 by Lebowski achiever]

new topics

top topics

join