It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Email recieved from FBI - Hoax???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Every now and then I recieve strange emails from various persons who tell the same story about someone passed away, left tons of money on some african bank account and family member now looks for a person who is willing to accept a money transfer and keep a percentage of that money.

I laugh about them emails, read and delete them. However I have recieved the following email now, note the email address as it does seem 'official':
---

MAY REPORT‏
Van: Federal Bureau of Investigation ([email protected])
Verzonden: maandag 1 juni 2009 14:48:52
Aan:

Dept: Anti-Terrorist & Monetary Crimes Division
Office: Washington, D.C. Headquarters
Address: J. Edgar Hoover Building 93 Pennsylvania Avenue, Nw Washington, D.C. 20535-0001

Attention:

This is to officially inform you that a foreign bank from West Africa have transferred funds worth Millions of United States Dollars with your name as the beneficiary. This foreign bank knows that they do not have enough facilities to effect this payment from their location to your account and therefore they used what is known as Secret Diplomatic Transit Payment (S.T.D.P) to do this transfer and they are currently awaiting a confirmation from you for final crediting to your account. Secret diplomatic payments are not made unless the funds are related to terrorist activities, so if you are not intending to finance terrorism and your transaction is legitimate, why then did you agree to receive these funds through this means that was used instead of a direct transfer to your account?

Our findings shows that this method of transfer was used in the past to finance terrorist acts, so there is need to correct this problem now to avoid you getting into trouble when the funds reflects in your account. Under the United Nations monetary rules it is our duty as a world wide commission to correct this little problem before this fund will be credited into your personal account. Due to the increased difficulty and security measures set up by the United States for the transfer of funds from foreign banks, the FBI foreign bank commission have stopped the transfer on its way to debit your reserve account and pay you through a secured diplomatic transit account (s.d.t.a) We govern and oversee funds transfer for the World Bank and the rest of the world.

We have decided to contact you directly to acquire the proper Verifications and proof from you in order to ensure that the money you are about to receive is clean and legal . The funds are right here in United State in your name, but the bank has been instructed not to release the funds to anybody until we have finalized our investigations. Note that the funds will not be credited into your personal account until the needed document is provided.

Your duty is to proof to us that the funds you are about to receive is a clean and the only way to proof that is by sending us this Diplomatic Immunity Seal Of Transfer(DIST). You are to forward this document to us immediately if you have it in your possession, if you don't have it let us know so that we will direct you to where you will obtain it so that your funds can be released. This document is to be issued to you from the location of the foreign bank to effect your funds transfer.

The Diplomatic Immunity Seal Of Transfer (DIST) often referred to as a Criminal History Record or Rap Sheet, is a listing of certain information taken from fingerprint submissions retained by the FBI in connection with arrests and, in some instances, federal employment, naturalization, or military service. This Condition is Valid until 3 days after which the funds shall be confiscated and legal action will be taken against you.Guarantee: Funds will be released upon confirmation of the DIST document.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Instruction;

1. Credit payment instruction: irrevocable credit guarantee.
2. Beneficiary has full power when validation is cleared.
3. Beneficiaries bank in can only release funds.
4. Upon confirmation from the world bank / united nations.
5. Bearers must clear bank protocol and validation request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: We have requested for the DIST document to make available the most complete and update records possible for the enhancement of public safety, welfare and security of Society while recognizing the importance of individual privacy rights. If you fail to provide the Document to us, we will charge you with the financial crimes. The United Nations Department of Justice Order 556-73 establishes rules and regulations for the subject of an FBI Identification Record to obtain a copy of his or her own Record for review. The FBI Criminal Justice Information Service (CJIS) Division processes these requests to check illegal activities.

ROBERT S. MUELLER III,
FBI Director.

---

I wonder now if this is hoax and if I should be worried about something?

Mod Edit: Added Quote tags and removed All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7 Jun 09 by Gools]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Storm_Indigochild

Dude, take a look at the email id where the email originated. It looks very strange and it raises suspicion. Contact the FBI office directly and confirm whether the email was actually sent by them. That will clear a lot of doubts.

Edit: Here is a link from sophos about the FBI style 419 scam.
sophos

Once you read there, you will get a idea.

[edit on June 7th, 2009 by peacejet]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   

SIGHS

WEST AFRICA?

AFRICA?

You are one of millions of people being spammed from those nice folks from Africa claiming to have millions of dollars in the bank.

Please someone help me.

There is a website that fights those kind of spam.

If you want to, you can join the fight.

Or just simply ignore it.

I get those kind of email 2 to 3 times a week.

I am out.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
It's just another variation of the Nigerian Scam. If you contact them I bet they'll as for your bank details!

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
[email protected]

That has got to be the corniest email address ever, I wonder if they still have [email protected]
Scammers you got to love em. Peace

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
had one today myself, claiming to be a bank here in oz

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
If you feel up to fighting the "Nigerian" or Africa scam then join this site

www.419eater.com...

I've been considering joining but it seems too much of a work and I have a soft heart.

Get this, just a few days ago, I got a fancy looking resume from someone in Africa. I can post it in here if you want.

Is it a conspiracy? Your call.

I am having difficulty spelling right now. I am filled with whiskey. I hope you don't mind.

I'm out.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

scambaiting thats a newy for me thanks for the link

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ocker
reply to post by Deaf Alien

scambaiting thats a newy for me thanks for the link

No problem. I've been receiving those emails ALL the time. It was ATS when I first heard of scambaiting a year ago. Check out the site. There are even pictures of scammers (or alleged scammers) on the site.

I have never done it before but I know how satisfying it is to get even one of those taking pictures of themselves. Like I said, I have a soft heart.

Is it a conspiracy? That's a hard call. Maybe it is. Many Americans have been conned out of their life savings. I can give you links.

I'm out.

Peace

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Use photo-shop or gimp and makeup a FBI agent identification in a fake name and send it to them.

I will guarantee you will not get a reply back if they think they have sent one of there scam letters to a real FBI agent.

3.bp.blogspot.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Sad but true.

They even use famous actors or actresses faces as ids.

It may be funny to us...

um...

never mind...

I am out...

Peace!

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I would ignore it, like posted above it takes some work to fight these guys off...

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I would report it. Just gooogle how to report scam emails?...I dont know what country you are in but I did it in uk and they talk you through the info they need from you.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Its a fraud/ Scam. I got the same E-mail some years back. The FBI isnt the type just to send E-mails, if they wanna talk they will call you or meet in person.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   

it'd sure be nice if someone was really going to give me all that money

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Its just a scam. Email addresses are easy to spoof. You need to report this to Interpol though. I think they have a department dedicated to these Nigerian scams.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This scam made the news front page here in portugal a couple of weeks ago,when a lady tried to make the transfer in a bank in Lisbon.
So everybody is aware of the Nigerian letters scam here.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by upnorthtrip]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This is a hoax. I myself receive legit emails from the FBI (I am on their mailings list and I have friends who work for FBI).

Also the FBI does not send out personal emails like this:

www.fbi.gov...
FLURRY OF SPAM TARGETING THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION

12/11/08—Consumers continue to be inundated by spam purportedly from the FBI. As with previous spam attacks, the latest versions use the names of several high ranking executives within the FBI and even the IC3 to attempt to defraud consumers.

Many of the spam e-mails currently in circulation claim to be an “official order” from the FBI’s Anti-Terrorist and Monetary Crimes Division, from an alleged FBI unit in Nigeria, confirm an inheritance, or contain a lottery notification, all informing recipients they have been named the beneficiary of millions of dollars. To claim the large sum, recipients are instructed to furnish their personally identifiable information (PII) and are often threatened with some type of penalty, such as prosecution, if they fail to do so. Specific PII information requested includes, but is not limited to, the recipient’s name, banking information, telephone number, and a copy of their passport.

The spam e-mail allegedly from the IC3 states that the recipient has extorted money and will be given a limited amount of time to refund the money or face prosecution.

Do not respond. These e-mails are a hoax.

The FBI does not send unsolicited e-mails of this nature. FBI executives are briefed on numerous investigations but do not personally contact consumers regarding such matters. In addition, the IC3 does not send threatening letters to consumers demanding payments for Internet crimes.

Consumers should not respond to any unsolicited e-mails or click on any embedded links associated with such e-mails, as they may contain viruses or malware.

It is imperative consumers guard their PII. Providing your PII will compromise your identity.

If you have been a victim of Internet crime, please file a complaint at www.ic3.gov.

So, you can either ignore and trash (do NOT respond) or file a complaint (complete with headers) to ic3.gov.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 6/7/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Indigo. You should report this to the F.B.I.'s IC3 division. You can do that here.

www.ic3.gov...

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
it's garbage. don't waste any energy worrying about it.

you think the FBI is going to EMAIL you with something important?? 'fraid not-- they'll turn up in person or phone.

it's a phishing scam-- do not reply

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join