It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Probably oldest work of art in the Americas found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   

VERO BEACH — Local amateur fossil collector James Kennedy appears to have made an unprecedented archaeological discovery that might help confirm a human presence here up to 13,000 years ago.

....A 15-inch-long prehistoric bone fragment found near Vero Beach contains a crude engraving of a mammoth or mastodon on it, said Dr. Barbara Purdy, emeritus professor of anthropology at the University of Florida.

“It is humbling to realize that we are seeing what the hunter saw more than 13,000 years ago,” Purdy said.

Engraving of mastodon or mammoth on bone

Tests so far have shown it to be genuine.

If so, it appears to be “the oldest, most spectacular and rare work of art in the Americas,” she wrote in a report to other scientists.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I found this while browsing. I thought that you guys might find it interesting.
If it is true, then people were living in Florida much earlier than thought before.
It is also always very cool to see early works of art, people practically "painting or carving" a picture of what they saw.
The old "Kodak moment"

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
amazing find. lucky bloke

and yet again another Kennedy will go down in history.

[edit on 04/06/09 by ocker]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Good find! Another link in the chain but to find the real answer I feel we must "break the chain" as Fleetwood Mac has sung it!

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
What I don't know if there have been any mammoth bones or skeletons recovered in that area.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by haika

Hiya Haika,
There's a more detailed article here...University of Florida: Epic carving on fossil bone found in Vero Beach There's a 'hoaxy' feel, but it seems genuine. It'd be a dream come true to have discovered something like that

Seems like more and more evidence is sticking humans in the Americas a damn sight earlier than we used to think. In the past few years alone, it's gone from 10k ya to 40k ya with questions raised by Sam VanLandringham of 80k ya ( hmmmm? )and a problematic 250k ya. Old stone tools in Texas, Valsequillo etc. It's probably a good time to get into University text book publishing

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
The cool thing about this is that being bone material, it'll be easier to date and maybe more precise than say....a stone.

And yes, it is exciting that the date for human settlements in the Americas is turning out to be earlier than first expected.

I hope that this doesn't turn out to be a hoax.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
It's actually got good provenance and good research behind it. I'm going to see if I can get a look at it (or some of the Florida paleoindian material) when we go on vacation.

top topics

join