It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 "Non-Lethal" Weapons That'll Make You Wish You Were Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Heres a great article about 6 "non lethal" weapons, contained are:

The PHASR (aka Crowd-Blinding Rifle)
The Active Denial System (aka Massive Pain Ray)
The Laser Induced Plasma Channel (aka Invisible Pain Fence)
As well as three others, pics and some video included in the link, as well as other information. My personal "favorite" Taser XREP (aka Electrified Shotgun Shells)

The problem with a Taser is that you've got to be pretty close to make it work, about 20 feet or so. A number of companies are racing to fix that problem, developing non-lethal bullets that can hit you with rib-shattering force from a distance, and then deliver an electric shock just to rub it in. Because you can never be to careful when it comes to hippies and protesters.

ZOWIEEE! Check out the article let me know what you think

6 "Non-Lethal" Weapons That'll Make You Wish You Were Dead
Also Taser bot

[edit on 7-6-2009 by alyosha1981]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
well arent they clever

so how well do these weapons work against people armed with sniper rifles and such?

how many guns are in America?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I'm not sure how many guns are in America but I sure as heck would not want to get hit by any of these weapons non lethal or not, and I'll tell you what, the day the tazer bot comes crawling into my house he better have a swat team behind him or be as strong a Johnny 5!

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Where is the 5th?

I mean the 6th?

What is it 5 or 6?

Me

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I forgot where it was posted, but the amounts of guns that were purchased in America last year surpassed the ENTIRE top 5 military's of the world like 3 times over or something.

It was a pretty interesting read.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
well arent they clever

so how well do these weapons work against people armed with sniper rifles and such?

how many guns are in America?

i somehow don't think they would bother using non-lethal weapons against someone armed with a lethal one.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

It's called escalation of force. Less lethal weapons allow for a response to a situation that does not mean you go straight for the kill. More conventional variations are the baton gun (often a 40mm grenade launcher modified to fire a 37mm 'plastic bullet' known as a baton round), CS sprays and grenades or a shotgun loaded with beanbag, stingball or CSrounds. Tazers also fall into this category.

Public order scenarios are an example where they would be deployed, where you don't want to kill the crowd but want to give them an obvious incentive to stop their actions.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Wow, that is a very badly researched article indeed. Maybe they weren't too interested in facts?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I think one of those beanbag gun lite weapons would make me wish they had shot me instead, just imagine the bruising you'd have after that especially if they hit you more then once.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
With all of the talk recently about civil unrest and protests and the like I thought this article would be be good information, because in the event of mass protests, some of these weapons would most likely be deployed.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Wembley

Care to be specific about what's factual and what isn't? Cracked is a comedy web site. It's intention is to make people laugh, not be informative. If you have better information, why don't you share it?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Well, PHaSR is not a particularly bad dazzler - it's very safe compared to the ones currently used in Iraq which have caused serious eye injuries. And they missed out the infra-red heat beam that is the second part of it's function.

ADS won't cause serious injuries because of the harware limits. Yes, it can cause blisters and burns, in theory, if you somehow get trapped int he beam, but hardly enough to make you wish you were dead.

The XREP projectile hits with much less impact force than a beanbag round and is much less dangerous. Because it doesn't rely on impact it doesn't need it - it's actually designed for a soft impact.

The PEP nonlethal laser was canceled a while back. They continued development as an anti-aircraft weapon but I suspect they gave up with that.

The vortex ring weapon is not real: they've been working on this concept for decades and there is no actual product out there. It would be handy - a lot safer than rubber bullets, for example - but it's a big, clumsy set up to produce the same effect as a rubber bullet.

They keep (deliberately?) missing the point that nonlethals, if used correctly, can be very useful and save lives. Obviously there need to be controls in place to prevent misuse, but that applies equally to lethal weapons.

And no, they are not intended to be used against people with firearms.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
No one can live up against the microwave weapons these madmen have.

Non lethel weapons are lethel but not in high stats.

More evil than any guns or what have you.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
"No one can live up against the microwave weapons these madmen have"

Er, they've tested the ADS several thousand times and the worst ill effects have been blisters in two cases. What makes you think it could kill?

If they wanted to kill people, they'd use proper lethal weapons. The current ADS weighs nine tons and has a range of less than half a mile - a .50 cal machine gun has longer range and is a lot more portable!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Non lethel weapons are lethel but not in high stats.

More evil than any guns or what have you.

What utter, utter tripe.

Yes there have been cases of fatalities due to less lethal weapon systems being used, but in real terms they are hardly a drop in the ocean compared with the number of non-lethal uses. For example during the troubles in N Ireland there have been 16 reported deaths from baton rounds despite the many thousands that were actually fired (Approx 26'500, of which around 360 caused actual serious injury). I've been shot with a baton round (training accident) from a range of about 30m. It dropped me on my arse, got me 3 days off work and a bruise the size of a CD on my hip. Hardly the stuff of nightmares.

Amnesty international have documented 330-340 taser related deaths in the US. This sounds like a huge amount, but needs to be placed in context. In the same time period the taser has been used over 1 million times. Of the deaths related to tasers, a large proportion were caused by the victim striking their head after a fall caused by a tasar hit, or by drug intoxication. Only 50 have had the taser documented as the actual cause of death. Of these all were linked to prolonged or multiple exposures to the taser. This strikes me as a training deficit rather than a failure in the system.

Less lethal systems such as these should be used with care and discression. There are too many people using them inappropriately. In the UK a taser or baton round can only be used in the direct protection of life, unlike the US where it can be used as a compliance tool. Hence we have lower death rates in the UK due to these systems.

Simple fact is if I shot you with a firearm you would probably die. If I hit you with any of these other systems you would almost certainly survive with few long-term complications.

Care to relate to me how this is more frightening to you than a firearm which has a substantially greater chance of killing or causing grevious injury?

new topics

top topics

join