It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graduating students defy ACLU

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Graduating students defy ACLU

www.worldnetdaily.com

Members of the graduating class of 2009 at Florida's Pace High School have expressed their objections to ACLU restrictions on statements of religious faith at their school by rising up en masse at their ceremony and reciting the Lord's Prayer.

The incident happened just days ago, but has been virtually ignored by media outlets throughout the region,

Neither students nor teachers shed their constitutional rights at the schoolhouse gate," said Staver, who also is dean of Liberty University School of Law.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-6-2009 by RRconservative]

[edit on 6-6-2009 by RRconservative]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Yes it is from WorldNetDaily. I wish I had a MSM report on this but the MSM doesn't like stuff like this. They will pretend it never happened...it doesn't fit their agenda.

I love it when the ACLU gets slapped in the face!

Got to love rebellious students!

When will they learn that if someone decides to pray in school that it is not the same as government establishing a religion?

www.worldnetdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Good for them! The ACLU is nothing but a group of vicious, spiteful people who do not understand what the Founding Fathers built. They twist every aspect of the law, to fit their atheist, communist agenda.

There is no need to apologize for the WorldNetDaily. It is one of the few sources that print the truth today.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Perhaps when they are older and wiser, they will learn
Mathew 6:6 6 “But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you."

of course, this follows Mt 6:1

“Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven."

The time for prayer is always, "Pray without ceasing" 1 Thessalonians 5:17

It is better to live the Lord's Prayer than to merely pray it, and much harder to do.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

Hmm. This is true what you say, but it seems a little off-topic??? Like not overly or anything, just that it seems that what they're doing is politcial. They're not proving they love God, but that they have the RIGHT to pray anywhere they so choose, imho. Good for them anyways. I liked your post tho, an excellent lesson in humility

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

i agree with you.

But allowing someone to oppress your faith and beliefs is something that you cannot tolerate.

Someone disagreeing with you because you believe in God is one thing.

Someone telling you "you can't do this" because you believe in God is something all together different.

These aren't violent out bursts. They're harmlessly protesting.

Nobody says anything about a bunch of gay men marching in the street, or Black people parading in a park.

But if a few White Christians stand up for what they believe in, they're racist, bigoted, or just plain evil.

I agree that some white people can take things too far. But these kids were graduating at a college. A UNIVERSITY.

The same argument was thrown against republicans BY liberals during hte "michael moore should be allowed to speak here" debates oh so many years ago.

It's called hypocrisy.

"Prayer should be silent between you and the father" is something you should abide by as a Christian

Standing up for what you believe in because you lawfully have the right is something you should abide by as an American.

there is difference.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
If people want to advertise their ignorance and their love for all things imaginary then they can do so in their private home. When on state property religious nonsense must be kept separate. I'd like to see your reactions to a bunch of muslim students doing this, you'd probably be calling for them to be sent to gitmo.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DraconianKing

So you do not believe in our constitutional rights?

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Fremd

It was a high school not a university. The full name of the school is Monsignor Edward Pace High School. It is a religous school. Does the ACLU really try to ban prayer at a religous school? I doubt it. There is a reason this didn't get any media attention.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fremd
reply to post by desert

Nobody says anything about a bunch of gay men marching in the street, or Black people parading in a park.

Really?

www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.encyclopedia.com...

www.slapupsidethehead.com...

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by disgustedbyhumanity
reply to post by Fremd

It was a high school not a university. The full name of the school is Monsignor Edward Pace High School. It is a religous school. Does the ACLU really try to ban prayer at a religous school? I doubt it. There is a reason this didn't get any media attention.

It wasn't Monsignor Pace...., It was Pace, FL public High School according to the article. I followed the links already supplied. There are a dozen other "Pace" high schools also spread around Florida.

None the less, a public school means they have that much more right to assert their constitutional rights as long as it doesn't cause any immediate danger!

You can't yell "Fire", but you can certainly recite a prayer. The constitution doesn't protect people's "sensitive feelings" it protects their "INALIENABLE RIGHTS!"

At my public high school in Missouri, they still pray over the loudspeaker before sporting events!

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

As preparations were being made for the 2009 graduation, the ACLU demanded the school censor students from offering prayers or saying anything religious. As a result, two student leaders traditionally allowed by the school to address their graduation were banned from doing so.

What the hell is wrong with the ACLU?

They pride themselves as defenders of individual liberty, and usually they hold up to those beliefs. However, censoring these students' speeches is hardly defending their liberty. In my opinion students should be able to address whatever religious beliefs they want during their graduation, whether it be Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Satanist, etc. Any attempt to prevent them from doing that is what the ACLU should be fighting against, not the other way around.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

They do here in south TX as well.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DraconianKing
If people want to advertise their ignorance and their love for all things imaginary then they can do so in their private home.

If I graduated there I would praise and give my thanks to Devil Almighty.

I bet the parents of those kids would just love to hear that and give me a big applause for being courageous to express my beliefs

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 5thElement

You are free to do so, though I would consider that an abuse of the right

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 5thElement

You would get some shock value from the uneducated, but it is only a matter of semantics.

Nobody worships an evil god! Satan worshipers believe very similarly to Christians and Muslims. They only substitute some names here and there. They still believe that their faith is the best way for humanity. They are not trying to bring about a rain of fire and brimstone as the TV would have you believe.

At my old high school, you would surely get thrown out of the bleachers and beat up, but where I live now, it would be mildly humorous at best!

[edit on 6-6-2009 by getreadyalready]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Pretty dumb. Its just religous activism wanting to push their views on others. I grew up in a school that did this and I grew to hate the school because of it. You bring in someone who has a different religous view and the mass will degredate into a mob of angry monkeys. Its retarded, christians push to put their views in your face but the moment anyone else worships another god all hell will break lose and that person will be tortured. Religion should stay out of school. Same with politics. Both are just a firestorm waiting to happen and end up with someone being abused.

No one gave up their right to freedom of speech, any student in any school can pray at anytime. My question is why? People dont pray this much at home so why? Because of activism.

[edit on 6-6-2009 by Memysabu]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by disgustedbyhumanity
reply to post by Fremd

i stand corrected.....i guess that's a perfect example of "read the article, not the headline"

graduating tends to (more often than not) speak of "college" students, because after all, unless you're 18, or the parent of a high schooler, who really gives a rip about high school graduation?

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5thElement

You would be lynched thus why I made my post. Religion needs to stay out of school because even if you praised allah or sheeba or whoever youd be beaten to a pulp after class. The problem with christianity in schools is kids are allowed to be violent we dont punish them for physical assault. So when you dont think their way they come after you en masse.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
why is the ACLU attacking freedoms?

i thought they were suppost to DEFEND civil liberty?

wow they are so backwards

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join