It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.0 MAG quake hits mid-Atlantic Ocean - Tsunami?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
An earthquake has just struck the mid Atlantic ridge. Since the earthquake is centered in deep water i'm concerned that there may be a tsunami.

Magnitude 6.0 - NORTHERN MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE
2009 June 06 20:33:28 UTC

It looks like it's been a little over 3 hours since the earthquake happened. As I recall tsunami can travel quickly. If there were any created by the earthquake then we may hear about them soon.

Source

[edit on 6-6-2009 by LazyGuy]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Interesting how the location is near the Air France crash site...

I doubt the 6.0 would cause a Tsunami. An EQ of 7.4+ is when they worry.
VERY weird, we haven't seen any activity like this in that area for some time, but it IS the ring of fire, so it's not uncommon.

Earth is trying to tell us something... It's getting Heart Burn...

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

NORTHERN MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE

MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE

the ring of fire has nothing to do with the atlantic ocean

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
The Depth was pretty low, but seems that it has not caused any problems and a tsunami warning was not issued,

A National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration tsunami scientist, Bill Knight, said the quake was a "sub-threshold event" that did not merit a tsunami warning.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
This got my attention earlier this evening. Suffice it to say that there is no tsunami. However, this is one report on the event:

News Article

However, the interesting thing is that, in my search, I was incapable of finding a NOAA Atlantic Tsunami warning program.

Perhaps I was not thorough, so, if anyone can illumine me? If not, that is something that this nation needs. Even if this wasn't a tsunami event, what about the canary island situation and the other possibilities of Atlantic tsunami?

Perhaps I'm just paranoid? Perhaps...

Edit: News article cited was that which was quoted in an earlier post.

[edit on 6-6-2009 by Iago18]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Remixtup

NORTHERN MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE

MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE

the ring of fire has nothing to do with the atlantic ocean

My bad, I meant the Mid Ocean Ridge..
I need to go to sleep.. losing it here. hehe..

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Well the French were sending a nuclear sub out to aide in finding the downed aircraft....or destroy the evidence....

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Iago18

Can't speak for the rest of the coast but Florida has no way to deal with this. During hurricane evacuations in the past few years and a mass hurricane evacuation drill in 1996 things were so bad that it is obvious that a lot of people would just die on the road, we;ve acutally had fatalities after heavy rains in the past year with people driving or flipping into floods. In 2004 there were many people stranded on highways during the brunt of several hurricanes because evacuation was too slow. It also doesn't help that they tell people to drive slow while doing this, all they do is create a logjam.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I received two emails from friends in Roatan today. Both said it almost feels like they've been having a constant tremor today. I checked the gov earthquake web site and it looks like they've had two more earthquakes in the past 24 hours that were both 4 point something. Coupled with the 7 pointer they had last week, I'm wondering if something might just be shaking lose in the area.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Can somebody give a link to a earthquake website?
I live in Florida, so kinda worried about this.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

Here you go
earthquake.usgs.gov...

top topics

join