It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cost of F-22 fighter for Japan as much as $250 mln

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Cost of F-22 fighter for Japan as much as $250 mln

www.reuters.com

The source said it might be easier now to drop the export ban, given recent missile development activity by North Korea, the U.S. recession and strong U.S. ties to Japan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.spacedaily.com
en.wikipedia.org
www.nti.org
www.solon.org

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Well, apparently the F-22 may be finding a new home over seas. That new home is Japan. Japan is actively trying to acquire F-22s from the US. This could be as a result of increasing tensions on the Korean Peninsula or other future threats.

However, there is an underlying question I have about this? Could this be a sign that Japan may be on the road to re-militarization and amending their Constitution from being a pacifist nation?

If my speculation is correct, I don't think China and Russia would be to thrilled about a new strategic rivalry with Japan in the event of re-militarization.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The 250 million per is counting the development costs of the export version and It does not say if that includes spares etc.

That being said an export version usually downgrades the avionics which Im assuming many have been deeloped in japan anyway.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
It's bound to happen eventually, they signed an agreement not to go to war for 100 years, so whether it's in the next few years or after 2045, it's inevitable. When they are to to rebuild their military, would they try to achieve lose ends and pick up where things had left off, or will they just build up but not actually try to give their empire another shot. But yes, a re-militerized Japan would create tensions in that area.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I think that tensions in the area are what is causing re-militarisation of Japan. If N.Korea was normal country and if China (where Japanese are not loved, to say the least, for what they did in WW2) was not going for super power position Japan probably did not have to change its policy. Or at least had no excuse to change its policy.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
If we won't defend Japan and abide by the treaty we had them sign after WW2 then by all mean they need to defend themselves.

Besides they'll be a good place to sell all of our military equipment after the US government goes into default and becomes insolvent.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
What do you expect China wont take care of their lap dog so I dont blame Japan for wanted to re arm itself. In fact because we are bankrupt we should be more than happy to sell them the weapons they need.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Japan should tread lightly before thinking of building up their military,which given their economy,technology and manufacturing base would be quite a military to say the least...but China would not take too kindly to it.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Japan should tread lightly before thinking of building up their military,which given their economy,technology and manufacturing base would be quite a military to say the least...but China would not take too kindly to it.

I don't think Japan is scared of China...I think China is scared of Japan (China's military isn't that advanced, their Navy is insignificant...Japan beat the snot out of China in WWII); I don't mind Japan rearming itself, it has ever right to defend itself...BUT I don't know if they require and advanced fighter like the F-22; I'm surprised that Lockheed hasn't tried to modify the F-22 for carrier usage, that's its only downfall...it's such a solid jet, but the military is more or less discontinuing its purchases...so I'm sure Lockheed will gladly sell the F-22 to allied nations if the Pentagon gives the go ahead.

[edit on 10-6-2009 by yellowcard]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Folks, the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force is the SEVENTH LARGEST navy in the world ... they have been rebuilding for quite some time now. They have an excellent first rate military that puts most nations to shame ... and they call themselves pacifist

Their only weak spot is the Ground force but the Air and Maritime forces are first class.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

With the way China's economy is growing,and the amount of money it could still pump into its military.If Japan did take this route im sure China would invest heavily in its military.And China is already a fortress in terms of defense anyway.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Yep... China have three choices at this point.

- Take care of North Korea definetly... (invade it)
- Increase military spending.
- Do nothing, let Japan militarise and do not increase spending. (imo that would be stupid)

So if I would be China, I would take the first step. We would save millions of people, testing our army, save money and avoid Japan re-arming itself.

[edit on 10-6-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Probable the reason for the sale is: the estimate number to build this plane was 800... now it is reduced to for just 180 units. Who paid for the research and development want the money back. Just business. This little 5th generation toy was damn expensive to develop

Because there was only 183 orders... the cost of project was about $62 billion

If USA doesnt sell this aircraft Japan will continue to develop its own 5th generation airplane (Mitsubishi ATD-X).

[edit on 10/6/09 by blackcube]

top topics

join