It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bank of America: Your Birth Certificate is NOT valid as ID!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

No really, this is absolutely true.

Today I went to a BOA branch to get a new checking account. The guy said "I need two forms of ID." So I got out my driver's license, and then proudly took out my original BC, stamps, seals, travel stamps, more seals, and pretty much unforgable. There are stamps on that thing from foreign country travel back when I was a kid (30+ years ago).

He says "Nope, that is not valid ID. The Patriot Act did away with that. It is too easy to copy."

lol, now if you guys know me, being the ATSer I am, I wanted to tear him a new one. How in the fricken planet can my very own BC not be a valid form of ID?

So I said "You've got to be kidding me. I used my BC to get my driver's license." And he says. "We'll, they won't take it anymore either. Instead they'll use electricity bills and stuff like that for proof of residence."

Fortunately, I had another card, which he accepted as the second form. A paypal debit card. They ACCEPTED a paypal debit card which in my case is unverified (because I don''t have a checking account), while DECLINING my very own BC!

This is just whack.

And we sit here wondering why Obama did not have to produce his real (long form) BC to be President? It is too easy to copy. Uh huh.

Nope, I am not going to research the Patriot Act. Nope, I am not going to go look anything up. Nope, nope, and nope. This is the NWO at work, plain and simple.

I got the account, btw, just to satisfy a part time church employer who is doing away with paper checks and is MANDATING direct deposit only, and FORCING me to get a checking account, or lose the job. Yes, the accounting department at a CHURCH! And otherwise, a great church with great people.

So there you have it folks. Your very own Birth Certificate is not valid any more as ID.

THEN WHY THE F DO THEY MAKE YOU GET ONE THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????????????

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Your very own Birth Certificate is not valid any more as ID

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I have used my BC as a form of ID twice in the past couple of years (for an account and for drivers license). So, it is still considered a valid ID in my places for many things.

Why they told you this at Bank of America is beyond me. You can easily open a bank account online with BofA and you dont have to show anything.

What information do I need to apply?

You'll need the following basic information for yourself and your co-applicant (if applicable):

Social Security number
Phone number
Email address
Current physical home address
Date of birth
Debit card or bank account number for funding your new account during the application
Minor's personal information (if applicable)
College information (if applicable)
If you already have a Bank of America checking or savings account that you manage with Online Banking, you can save time on your application by signing in using your Online Banking ID and Passcode, so you'll need that as well.

www4.bankofamerica.com...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Yeah, sure doesn't say anything about the Patriot Act on THERE, now does it?

He asked me for a SS card, but I don't have it anymore, lost it in a move.

I swear, you can't make this stuff up! I honest to GOD just went through the exact experience I posted, may all the lightning bolts from heaven strike me dead. The truth.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Yeah I get tweaked about this stuff too, a while back I had to prove to a temp agency that I was a legal US citizen. Being a natural born citizen I was naturally outraged and wanted to crush a few necks in for being jerked around. I do believe the next time somebody hassles me for proof of citizenship/ID/residence I am going to empty my entire wallet on the counter including but not limited to my CCW, DL, SSN card, and Selective Services card then ask them if I should also give them urine, blood and feces samples just to be positive that I'm not some little green man from outer space.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
i had an encounter with the patriot act too, but not regarding a birth certificate. I wanted to open a small investment account for the happy couple when one of my kids got married. my financial advisor said i couldn't just do it all on paper, that he needed some interaction with the couple, like by phone or preferably in person, so he could verify that these people existed as required by the patriot act, so people couldn't set up phony accounts that funnel money to terrorists.

i know lots of people nowadays require receipts or something that proves you have a physical address in the vicinity but i had not realized birth certificate is not valid for id. interesting development. we live in a very strange world

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I had no problem using my birth certificate a couple of years ago to secure my passport. In fact, it was a required document. It's simply amazing that somehow a birth certificate is no longer considered a valid form of identification. That just boggles the mind.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Anyone can wander into a registrars office & ask for a copy of anyone else's birth certificate (unless the subject is President-elect, obviously). Same with marriage certificates ; they're public documents. And that's why they can't be relied upon as a sole means of identification.

The Banks policy helps prevent fraud/identity theft.

Inconvenient, aye. But necessary.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Maybe Obama gave the DNC his paypal debit card and an old gas bill to show that he was eligible.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I don't know, I just got new job as a PCA using my DL and my BC(lost my SSC years ago). Not one question asked and nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe i should see if i can open a new bank account just to see what happens, I'm curious...

Before this job i worked at a horse track/card club, again no SSC just my DL and BC. Though i was watched very closely by the state workers and security there. hmm, i wonder why now...

PEACE!!!

[edit on 04/16/2009 by Lichter daraus]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The new banking regulations post 9-11 are ridiculous.

I've seen tellers refuse Military IDs but accept International Drivers Licenses (which require nothing other than a mailing address & $10 to get...nothing is verified).

The guy in line ahead of me the other day had 2 pieces of ID but they all had just expired the day before which they refused as valid (the irony was that he needed to cash the check so he could afford to go the DMV to renew his Drivers License!). I guess that's one way for the Bank to wish you a "Happy Birthday!"

And considering that they don't scan the Credit Cards/Debit Cards they use for a Secondary Identification, it's not difficult to get a Debit Card in a false name mailed to you without doing anything more trivial than filling out an online form!

I've been given grief at banks before because I left my wallet in my pants when I put them in the wash and my Drivers License is slightly discolored and the signature on my Debit Cards are blurred.

What ever happened to Common Sense? It doesn't seem all that common any more!

What is this? Terry Gilliam's Brazil?

If the law is that employers cannot pay their employees with anything other than a Payroll Check or Direct Deposit to their Banking Account, forcing employees to have a Bank Account or a Credit/Debit Card for a Secondary Identification to cash your Payroll Check, then that is grossly unfair and biased to those who choose not to have Bank Accounts/Credit/Debit Cards, and is infringing upon the already poor.

What good is a Payroll Check that you worked hard to earn when you can't Cash it?

I suppose there are always Check Cashing Stores that charge 25% of the value fo the check. That's more than the Tax Man takes, and more than Minimum Wage Employees working Part Time can afford to pay!

(And 2nd Party Checks, if the Bank will even accept them, require 2 pieces of VALID and CURRENT Identification from both parties!)

One time I had problems cashing a Payroll Check at a Bank where the funds were drawn from. They refused to accept my Driver's License because it had a different Address than what was on my Payroll Check. I wrote the CEO of the Bank a long and nasty letter, and to my surprise, the Bank responded! They issued me a Waiver Card that I could present at that chain of Banks that exempted me from Identification Requirements for Checks drawn on their accounts!

Sometimes, in a bureaucracy, you just have to take things up the food chain and jump through the proper hoops till you find someone with a modicum of intelligence!

[edit on 6-6-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

It's simply amazing that somehow a birth certificate is no longer considered a valid form of identification. That just boggles the mind.

If you think about it doesn't it make perfect sense?

Set the precedent for the BC becoming just another piece of scrap paper - after a hullabaloo like we’re hearing here - people will be climbing all over each other to get a more *valid* ID (for their children) and for us poor souls raised on the BC.

Hmmm, I wonder what form of ID they’ve got ready for us now?

peace

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by New Lanark Boy
Anyone can wander into a registrars office & ask for a copy of anyone else's birth certificate (unless the subject is President-elect, obviously). Same with marriage certificates ; they're public documents. And that's why they can't be relied upon as a sole means of identification.

The Banks policy helps prevent fraud/identity theft.

Inconvenient, aye. But necessary.

That is incorrect. From the studies we did on Obama's, the State of Hawaii has it listed that the person requesting the certificate must show valid a family relationship to the person and valid reason, for requesting the certificate.

And just for kicks, I went online to see what the office of vital statistics (for the city where I was born) said about the matter to request a BC. On the application form itself it says, and I quote:

If the person was bom out of wedlock, only those individuals named on the record may receive a copy of the record.
A photocopy of a government issued picture ID, (such as a driver's license) is required for these records.

So NO, "anyone" cannot just request a copy of anyone else's BC.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

Maybe Obama gave the DNC his paypal debit card and an old gas bill to show that he was eligible.

Yep, they call that Verified and vetted. Then you can pay for a .com address through a second party and call it something like ..oh ..say ironcladfact.com and all of your little obamytrons will run around slapping your ironclad fact.com on every board to get their .06 cents per response.

What a system. Without jokers like them we might be devoid of laughs altogether. BTW how old was this teller? approx.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Not to cause a stir, but could this be the begining of the US "chipping" people? The way ID's are so easy to fake, might that be the precident to start the program to have all of us, not just our dogs and cats, tagged?

Sometimes I creep myself out. . .

[edit on 6-6-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pippin
BTW how old was this teller? approx.

This wasn't a teller. It was a fricken manager!

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

When I opened my trading account they told me that my drivers license would not be good enough to verify my address because I had moved from the address on the license, Fair enough. They also wanted, no, they insisted that I provide "proof of an ongoing relationship with an established business, such as an electric or phone bill." I explained that my rent is all inclusive so I had no such bill but I did have legal mail from the government as well as my W2 and check stubs from my employer. They said No.

Ohhh Kaaaayy, I was stumped for a moment and then it came to me. I called the broker back (now I should point out that I have already funded my account and have been actively trading it for several weeks, I am just not able to withdraw money) I asked my broker if I could simply bring in a new drivers license with the updated address on it? He said that would be fine so I contacted the DMV and found out that in order to update my address I did not even have to go down there, nope all I had to do was go to their website and anonymously, and without submitting any verification, update my address then I could just go to the DMV and pay for a duplicate ID and it would display whatever address I entered on the internet (?????).

I tried to reason that if all this is for security it didn't make much sence, since had I actually been up to something it would have been oh so simple to "establish" any address I chose.

Two days later I was on the phone again with my broker to place a buy that would not go through online and I decided to mention the situation to him and that I planned to go to the DMV the next day and would stop by with the updated ID. He said Ahhhh No that's not going to work because you have already submitted the ID with the Century ave. address on it (?????) I said well what would I do should I move in the future? He said "Oh it's simple, all you have to do is let us know your new address and we'll update it and it only takes a few seconds" Hmm (?????)

I said wait a minute as I tried to sift through my confusion and organize my thoughts into a phrase. Instead he spoke first saying "let me put you on hold for a second." Now I'm listening to music thinking that this can't be good and trying to figure out what it is they are really after when he came back. "Sir, I just spoke to the department that handles this and they have decided to accept the proof of address that you already submitted." (?????) He also added the caveat that this "department could change their mind at any time and require additional proof of residence."

So after all that I still don't know what was accomplished by all this but I did learn that if I was laundering money and funneling it back to opposition forces that it is better to change your address anonymously and without verification through the DMV before setting up the account. I was also thankfull to avoid waiting at the DMV for an hour or two and shelling out a pile of cash for the new ID.

TrueAmerican I assume you didn't have and account somewhere else already. That is the problem, they all communicate with each other and while greeneyedleo points to the apparent ease to open an account online I would counter that those instructions are for the application only. If they cannot verify you through bank X you almost have to produce DNA, unless you are at the DMV.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
the second half of this video may help you to understand the meaning of your birth certificate....MUST WATCH!

[edit on 6-6-2009 by jesiaha]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienChaser

withdrawing the money is always the big problem!

It used to be that for a brokerage account (maybe still is only i haven't moved for a few years so don't know) that you can call and tell them to sell some stock and mail you a check, and as long as you have the account number they dont hassle you at all, but they will only mail it to the address they already on file. That's to prevent your good buddy from going in and cashing in your stock and having it mailed to his account. So be sure to change your address on these things as soon as you actually move. Seems like there was a significant waiting time before they would mail to the new address. this was way before the patriot act, just common practice.

you can always get around that by having them wire funds to a bank account. of course nowadays nobody's stock account has much of anything left so it's probably less of a problem.

there's another practical problem that occurs at banks nowadays. Very few tellers speak much english. wages are so low that only pretty desperate people will take those jobs. they can easily learn the procedures but if you don't use the right phrases or ask the right questions, they don't know what you are getting at. personally i avoid entering banks but occasionally it happens, and i am always struck by that deer in the headlight look if i try to chat a bit during the transaction or heaven forbid ask a question. one of my friends gets incensed by this issue and believes there should be a federal banking regulation that every branch should have at least one english speaker on duty at all times.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Just worry when they require no paperwork just biometrics, such as cheek swab, fingerprint or retinal scan.

Here's Alex Jones getting arrested for refusing a thumb-scan to get a driving license. It looks like it was filmed ages ago!!!!

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I have one for you folks... About 5 years ago I was opening a new bank account and was told my SSC would not work as a valid form of ID. The only other ID I had on me was an expired Mexican visa that was in my maiden name (I was opening the account in my married name) and a Mexico address They accepted that with a smile and opened my account. Some of this stuff goes beyond stupid.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join