It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama is right about the middle east!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Oh how I hate to admit it, but Obama is right. At first the speech Obama made to the middle east made me angry. Then I stewed on it for a couple of days. Then I realized he was right with his basic premise.

We cannot put one group of peoples interests about the rest of the worlds interests if we ever want to have peace. We have to take a more balanced approach if we are ever going to settle things down between Israel and the Palestinians.

What do you think?

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
You are exactly right!

That's what I thought when I watched it. He was just trying to bring some sanity to it all. I'm not big on Obama as everyone here knows...but this speech was excellent.

We need to quit murdering each other and just understand our difference and learn to live with them!

I know we can do it but it seems everyone just wants to spew out hate all of the time. All we do is argue amongst ourselves on politics when we all really need to come together because the country is falling apart.

I hope that we start seeing people come to a new understanding and change their opinions about the war.

It's killing people and killing our economy. Let's stop this craziness!

BTW...I'm glad that you were able to see this! Peace is the only way man!

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Wow, if our two crazy behinds can actually think Obama is right on this then maybe he is.

I am not anti-war by any stretch, because I think it is always a necessary option to defend yourself in a crazy world. However, I agree that there is no reason to support only one side of a solution when, if you step back, you realize it can never work. Now I am not saying we should sell Israel out, but we should trully work for both sides to come to an agreement they can live with instead of saying that is what we are doing.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
America needs to be the adults and stop killing and torturing people. The military industrial complex makes tonnes and will they ever stop, doubt it.

Saying one thing and doing another, so its hard to see where obama goes from here, uless america backs up its words with actions, i.e stop taking sides and supplying israel with bombs.

I doubt it will ever stop, and the most powerful side, needs to give alot to the weaker side, so they have a tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
America needs to be the adults and stop killing and torturing people. The military industrial complex makes tonnes and will they ever stop, doubt it.

Saying one thing and doing another, so its hard to see where obama goes from here, uless america backs up its words with actions, i.e stop taking sides and supplying israel with bombs.

I doubt it will ever stop, and the most powerful side, needs to give alot to the weaker side, so they have a tomorrow.

Well I dont think we should stop supplying Israel with the things she needs to defend herself. We can agree on taking a new approach, but we cant loose sight of the fact that almost everyone of Israels neighbors have said they would drive the people into the sea given half a chance. So I dont want to loose sight of reality.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

I'm just happy to see a change in mindset man! Nothing is getting better...it keeps getting worse! We need to save ourselves..from ourselves!

We are bankrupting our country to fight a war that much of the world condemns! I want our soldiers home. They deserve to be home. Save their lives and the lives of innocents.

I also wanted to add, peace can happen BECAUSE of his color when it comes to the middle east. A mean old white man is no longer the symbol of America, a man of color is...and this is absolutely vital in itself for peace in the middle east I believe. Imagine McCain doing something like this....they would laugh in his face.

Even all the talk of his father being a muslim is helpful...he may be able to bridge the divide between Islam, Christianity, and race.

If we do not have the support of Islam in that we are trying to attain peace...the war will never end. It has to end.

Al Queda and other extremist cannot succeed without the support of it's people!

This is the way to peace...the only good solution that I see....and I hope it works.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I agree that a change in mindset cant hurt. After all middle east politics is one big cluster...

As far as the war in Iraq goes, I dont think we should leave until we create stability and security. The worst thing we could do is walk away and let Iran march in there. Then all we get is one bigger longer war, and all of our soldiers died or were wounded for nothing.

Also, I dont think it should be about the color of his skin or the fact that he was raised around Muslims, but more about a different approach that hopefully has a chance of working. I would like to think that a crusty old white man could make the same change of direction. Actually, Jimmy Carter has supported this idea for awhile now and he is neither black nor a Muslim.

[edit on 6/6/2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Well I must go now and commit mass genocide on blades of grass. I hope lots of people reply and debate the issue. I look forward to seeing everyones reasoning for their side. I'll be back!!!

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
He is right, i'm Jewish and i'll say it... we can't seethe world burn over any one group of people, particularly the numerously small members of the Palestinian and Israeli people.

Don't Like to say it but I often think that Israel should be relocated or disbanded as a nation.

If you move the Palestinians, Israel would still be a culture out of bounds in the region and I do not see peace.

The alternative would be a change of heart and mind across all of Islam and I do not see that happening any time soon, certainly not by force. The effect it creates that way is to pull further away from peace and tolerance.

America should on some level absorb Israel into our world, our nation... If nothing else... Jews are great economists, not nearly enough in numbers to dramatically change America on a street level as Jews have already made our impact here culturally

ON a scholastic and economic level however, there would be a positive impact.

Sadly though, I do not see Israeli Jews being logical about the situation any more than there Islamic counterparts

Obama has the right thoughts.... so have I, so have many of us...

unfortunately the players in the region are not predisposed to rational thinking

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude

I agree that a change in mindset cant hurt. After all middle east politics is one big cluster...

As far as the war in Iraq goes, I dont think we should leave until we create stability and security. The worst thing we could do is walk away and let Iran march in there. Then all we get is one bigger longer war, and all of our soldiers died or were wounded for nothing.

Also, I dont think it should be about the color of his skin or the fact that he was raised around Muslims, but more about a different approach that hopefully has a chance of working. I would like to think that a crusty old white man could make the same change of direction. Actually, Jimmy Carter has supported this idea for awhile now and he is neither black nor a Muslim.

[edit on 6/6/2009 by justsomeboreddude]

After an article i found about al qaida attacking iran in that article iran reluctantly agreed that we cant leave until atacks like this stop.I was shocked!

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Thanks for your post. Not sure I get what you are saying. Can you post a link to the info you shared. It is interesting.. and I am a little slow today.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I hope he is right, we can't afford for him to be wrong about anything else.

The problem is that Obama is playing politician to the Middle East, while many Americans fell for it before the election, I'm not so sure his charm and trying to make everyone happy will work with the people of the Middle East. Especially Muslims who will see his playing both sides of the fence as a clear sign of weakness.

They will test his weakness, it is only a matter of time.

You can tell the Israelis one thing, then "on the other hand" tell the Muslims/Arabs another.... What you have accomplished is NOTHING!

In fact you have exposed your weakness in your desire to please everyone.

Iran can have nukes, Israel has a right to exist.... WTF?

You have told the Israelis they are on their own, and that Iran can do what they want.

Both sides now know where they stand, and that the president of the USA is a weak politician who will not take a side, so let the games begin.

Good luck.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Also, I dont think it should be about the color of his skin or the fact that he was raised around Muslims, but more about a different approach that hopefully has a chance of working.

I don't think it should be either, but it is. It completely changes relations we have with many countries. Whether people are willing to believe this or not..that's fine....that's just what I see...i think it's a good thing.

Think about this. I've seen side by sides of many news channel showing Obama/Bin Laden side by side.

You have one saying...."Let's come to an understanding."
And the other saying...."Let's kill each other. They are evil."

Who would you want to succeed?

But now imagine Bush doing this.....yeah...he gets shoes thrown at him. Not going to work! If McCain would have won this angle definitely wouldn't have a chance of changing anything..but likely escalate things further.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude
reply to post by dragonridr

Thanks for your post. Not sure I get what you are saying. Can you post a link to the info you shared. It is interesting.. and I am a little slow today.

Heres the thread about iran pay close attention when he talks of relations with irna and iraq!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I'm not a big Obama fan either

But he's right about what he said

Alien Mind

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
He is absolutely right about what he said. His actions are still suspect though. I just hope he puts his talk to action soon by deescalating troops closing bases and actually leads as an example to the world.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

He is absolutely right about what he said. His actions are still suspect though.

I agree. It's hard to make a statement for peace when there is still fighting going on, which really contradicted much of it...especially with the civilian deaths recently...although he did apologize for it....kind of.

The right seemed to bash this speech and I'll never understand that. How could one be against getting out of war with the only other option being more war.

You cannot be for smaller government and war at the same time because the result of war is larger government...it always is! It is completely contradictory.

posted on Jun, 6 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Well I dont think we should stop supplying Israel with the things she needs to defend herself.

So which Arab state is going to send an invasion army to go and conquer Israel then?
And what do you think would happen to them if they did?
Did you know that Israel could easily possess more than 200 nukes? (And probably produce a lot more at short notice).

The only Arab state that is anywhere near developing an atomic bomb is Iran, and it's widely believed they are a few years away from developing even one.
If they do develop it (without getting pre-emptively nuked, or set up politically for Iraqi style libareation & devastation)

As long as no Arab state has nuclear weapons nobody can invade IsraelIt's impossible as long as tanks melt and radiation kills.

The problem is that "thanks be to God" -the current policy Israel kills far more than she losess.
Last Gazza operation was about 13 Israelis deaths verses upwards of more than 1300 Palestinian dead.
And all the time she has continued to grab land (without proper compensation for those affected) on the basis that this land was hers 2000 years ago (which it undoubtedly was!).

However I get nervous about buying land in America, Australia, New Zealand and Canada because that was taken less than 500 years ago!
(As a balanced thought experiment) i put it to you that if (in 1500 years time) the surviving Native Indian of today conquered the U.S, and suppressed everybody because of the (almost inevitable) sporadic, privately managed armed resistance-terrorists would that be right?

The fact this would never happen, misses the point it's a thought experiment.

If God judges all men as equals, is there not another way that Israel could both continue to exist and not kill nearly so many?
Would it better for Israel if this was the case?

The problem with the 2008 Gaza War was not only did it kill through blast, it also deliberately and carelessly killed many by burning people alive, and ultimately to death, using something called "White Phosphorus". This stuff burns even when it under water!!!
Here's some info about it en.wikipedia.org...
And bear in mind that most deaths were not reported to Human Rights watch as the Israeli banned all reporters from Gaza ("for their own safety at the time").

The problem with the Gaza War
Was that in addition to knowing it would kill so many for so few, Bush defence policy ensured it benefited from 24hour U.S "defence" delivery.

Sometimes i recommend it's best to use the words "war" or "killing" when you’re talking "Power Projection" (as opposed to legitimate national (self) "defence").

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

Well if I were you, I would call my good friends in Hamas and tell them to quit lobbing missles over into a country that has no problem defending itself. The thing I dont get is that everyone blames Israel, but they are never the ones to start it. They just get sick of people lobbing missles at them and then do the right thing to protect their citizens. Is that wrong?

The Gaza strip is actually land that Israel won in the Six Day War in 1967. The spoils of victorty, some would say. If all of their neigbors didnt try to drive them in the ocean, maybe Egypt would still control that land.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

I hear what you're saying, and agree.

Keep in mind though....... If someone is shooting at my family, I'm not necessarily concerned with matching mortality one-to-one. This isn't the Hatfields and McCoys, where the killing of a son, requires a son from the other side. If someone is shooting at my family, and I have ordinance that can vaporize their whole house and outbuildings, you'd better believe that I'll use it.

If nobody shoots at my family, everthing is cool. I think it's a valid analogy.

cheers

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join